What's new
What's new

Tapping fluid that doesn't stink.

Mohawkjohnny

Plastic
I bought some machine tools for my home shop and am finding that when I use any of the chlorinated/sulfurized tapping and cutting oils, there's a lingering smell in my shop. I remember the first old job shop I went to work for, and how it smelled like that. My wife doesn't want that smell in my house. Has anyone tried any of the newer, non-toxic, non-sulfurized, non-chlorinated, eco-friendly or whatever tapping and cutting fluids? Do they work as well as say, Tap Magic EP-Extra or similar cutting oils?

We, Halocarbon, recently launched a new line of metalworking fluids (MWF) specifically designed to enable machining of refractory and difficult metals and alloys (Tungsten, Tantalum, Molybdenum Niobium, TZM, Inconel, etc). Our customers have realized 23X+ throughput, 5X+ tool life and 200-500% better surface finish using our MWF vs their historical fluids. Our MWF are polymeric and do not need biocides and do not have an odor. We don't offer in the small "tap-magic" size packages yet but I could provide a small sample for your evaluation if you can share some feedback on performance. Here's a link to the product most similar in viscosity to the Tap Magic EP-Extra: https://halocarbon.com/engineered-fluids/metalworking-fluids/halocarbon-mwf32/. We also offer a very high viscosity, MWF1000 that is similar to the "Xtra Thick" version that flows like honey.

Tungsten, Tantalum, Molybdenum Niobium, TZM, Inconel,
In his home shop. Hopefully your products are better than your R and D feedback.

Edit.
I've just looked at your posts, every one is an attempt to plug your product with zero actual help or suggestions offered. I suggest you use your MWF as a lubricant and insert it where the sun don't shine to test toxicity.

I read his post and it does plug his company. But he did state a product that may be useful and he even offered to send a small sample.

If I were Mohawkjohnny I would take him up on that offer.

On using kitchen oils or fats, I would caution about vegetable oils. I tried one once and it dried on everything leaving a coating that was the Dickens to clean off. If you do use such oils or fats as cutting fluids, I suggest that you do a good clean-up immediately after their use.

In his home shop. Hopefully your products are better than your R and D feedback.

Edit.
I've just looked at your posts, every one is an attempt to plug your product with zero actual help or suggestions offered. I suggest you use your MWF as a lubricant and insert it where the sun don't shine to test toxicity.

I read his post and it does plug his company. But he did state a product that may be useful and he even offered to send a small sample.
Why don't you send him a PM to encourage his spamming. I actually went and read his posts and they are a shameless plug with no useful contribution.

For all those with stupid suggestions about bacon fat etc. Get a grip this is 2024 not 1824 there are products available to do the job properly.

On using kitchen oils or fats, I would caution about vegetable oils. I tried one once and it dried on everything leaving a coating that was the Dickens to clean off. If you do use such oils or fats as cutting fluids, I suggest that you do a good clean-up immediately after their use.
What has happened is that the vegetable oil has turned to varnish. Paint stripper will remove it. I prefer strippers that contain methylene chloride, if any remain on the market. I generally used Savogran 5F5 stripper gel, from a big-box hardware store. Comes in a steel can, never plastic. Still seems to contain methylene chloride.

5f5 ingredients

This vegetable varnish is exactly the stuff that coats deep fryers and seasoned cast iron pans, and so can be removed using a boil-out cleaner, such as that made by Cascade.

Cascade Fryer Boil-Out

EPAIII is right, vegetable oils do oxidize over time. I should have mentioned that, and that animal fats can go rancid and stink to high heaven. In both cases, though, preventing a problem simply requires cleaning up after the tapping is done -- mineral spirit solvent or hot soapy water is sufficient . . . and don't forget to clean the tooling.

I'll disagree with ????'s contention that animal fats and vegetable oils aren't suitable for use in 2024. Ok, they aren't used in high-volume prduction nearly as much as they used to be, but some commercial "cutting oils" still contain them as components.

Furthermore, there are many long-time machinists that have jars of trichlorowthane, white lead, chlorinated oil, and similar things hidden in the back of a lower toolchest drawer.

Edit.
Thanks for the feedback. Since I've had very positive feedback from those using our MWF with very difficult materials, I'm trying to find out if I should offer a smaller package, like a tapping fluid, to help the smaller shops working with less difficult materials and trying to extend their tool life, increase their speed and get a better finish. One shop working with TZM just tried it on D2 and said it "cut like butter". Another large shop using it for Tantalum, was having an orange peel finish problem with 304L, tried our MWF and the issue was solved. I have been trying to plug the product but I have not posted often and my posts so far were trying to help those with issues machining difficult materials like Tungsten and Titanium and now for this smell issue. I want to help shops increase their tool life, speed and get better quality and I am trying to get feedback using our MWF with more materials so looking for shops where our MWF can help and they can evaluate and provide feedback. Maybe the home shop was too far off but I do believe our MWF can help and won't smell. I am willing to sample the right shops even ??? if you're interested, although I'd rather have it on the machine and not where the sun don't shine.

You can clean the fat off your tools after using them, then apply oil to preserve them. Or, you can cut with oil then not bother cleaning them, since they have oil on them.

Thanks for the feedback. Since I've had very positive feedback from those using our MWF with very difficult materials, I'm trying to find out if I should offer a smaller package, like a tapping fluid, to help the smaller shops working with less difficult materials and trying to extend their tool life, increase their speed and get a better finish. One shop working with TZM just tried it on D2 and said it "cut like butter". Another large shop using it for Tantalum, was having an orange peel finish problem with 304L, tried our MWF and the issue was solved. I have been trying to plug the product but I have not posted often and my posts so far were trying to help those with issues machining difficult materials like Tungsten and Titanium and now for this smell issue. I want to help shops increase their tool life, speed and get better quality and I am trying to get feedback using our MWF with more materials so looking for shops where our MWF can help and they can evaluate and provide feedback. Maybe the home shop was too far off but I do believe our MWF can help and won't smell. I am willing to sample the right shops even ??? if you're interested, although I'd rather have it on the machine and not where the sun don't shine.
So just do it, and see how it goes.

Buying an ad on the site and offering free samples via the ad would be the right thing to do. Not only does it give you better coverage but it's better than posting to blatantly plug your product.

Typical PM thread. One post n00b signs up with a vague question, a bunch of people jump in with everything from tribal witchcraft to solutions that can only be delivered by the rail car. The OP hasn't been back all afternoon. If he ever comes back, we'll discover his "machinery" is a Harbor Fright benchtop drill press and benchtop lathe.

Definitely be careful cleaning up if using vegetable oils with copper alloys. They are acidic will corrode brass.
Has anyone ever tried using wintergreen oil as a tapping lube? I use it for lube when sawing steel with a piercing (jewelers) saw. Smells get and works really well. I've had the same little jar far years.

Back