What's new
What's new

Tapping fluid that doesn't stink.

EPAIII is right, vegetable oils do oxidize over time. I should have mentioned that, and that animal fats can go rancid and stink to high heaven. In both cases, though, preventing a problem simply requires cleaning up after the tapping is done -- mineral spirit solvent or hot soapy water is sufficient . . . and don't forget to clean the tooling.

I'll disagree with ????'s contention that animal fats and vegetable oils aren't suitable for use in 2024. Ok, they aren't used in high-volume prduction nearly as much as they used to be, but some commercial "cutting oils" still contain them as components.

Furthermore, there are many long-time machinists that have jars of trichlorowthane, white lead, chlorinated oil, and similar things hidden in the back of a lower toolchest drawer.

Guilty. I've got all of those stashed for use when necessary. Never found any newer products that matched the performance of the old "toxic" stuff. Trichloroethane is amazingly effective. Mostly these days I use regular Tap Magic.

And Mystery Man is on target, let's cut the ad-type posting back. If you want to offer a few samples that's fine, can't be throwing out advertising in the majority of your posts though. That's considered spamming here.

Guilty. I've got all of those stashed for use when necessary. Never found any newer products that matched the performance of the old "toxic" stuff. Trichloroethane is amazingly effective. Mostly these days I use regular Tap Magic.

And Mystery Man is on target, let's cut the ad-type posting back. If you want to offer a few samples that's fine, can't be throwing out advertising in the majority of your posts though. That's considered spamming here.
Ah, I remember the trichloroethane days with the fondness of my youthful ignorance. I got into the trade shortly after carbon tetrachloride was banned, and I'd heard it was also very effective--but deadly... But with age comes wisdom, and wanting to spend more time with my grandchildren prompts me to be more cautious in my handling of toxic chemicals. This, along with the fact that I don't want to drive my wife away or make the house aromatically intolerable should I want to sell it, I'll suffer a less efficient product and take my lumps.

Ah, I remember the trichloroethane days with the fondness of my youthful ignorance. I got into the trade shortly after carbon tetrachloride was banned, and I'd heard it was also very effective--but deadly... But with age comes wisdom, and wanting to spend more time with my grandchildren prompts me to be more cautious in my handling of toxic chemicals. This, along with the fact that I don't want to drive my wife away or make the house aromatically intolerable should I want to sell it, I'll suffer a less efficient product and take my lumps.

You don't really have much choice these days. The stuff is unavailable unless you luck into an old can, and only if it hasn't all evaporated. At any rate, if you're not huffing it 24/7 it's not going to hurt you any. I'm pretty sure they banned it due to ozone layer worries, not for anything to do with it being a major health problem.

Protecting the ozone layer was very, very important back when it first came out. But today, no one talks about it because other more direct-acting products have taken its place. Global warming, plastic straws, Camp LeJuene, and the all-encompassing climate change have proven to be far more effective when it comes to offering a platform for diverting government funds, whining, and ensuring a bunch of useless people get paid lots to produce nothing.

I use the red bottle. No trichloroethane.

You might like the yellow bottle.

We, Halocarbon, recently launched a new line of metalworking fluids (MWF) specifically designed to enable machining of refractory and difficult metals and alloys...
Leave it to a salesman to invent another initialism.
What is wrong with saying cutting lube or cutting oil?
People today seem very impressed with their own speech.
Einstein said, If you can't explain something in plain words, you don't know your subject very well.
I am anti-acronym and anti-initialism because it is jargon with the intent to exclude people from the conversation, and that is not polite. We need more kindness, not being cryptic and secretive. (unless that is your game, which for some people, it absolutely is). Anyone using an initialism or an acronym raises a giant red flag in my mind. Look out for this guy. Lots of double speak usually follows.

-Doozer

Last edited:
You don't really have much choice these days. The stuff is unavailable unless you luck into an old can, and only if it hasn't all evaporated. At any rate, if you're not huffing it 24/7 it's not going to hurt you any. I'm pretty sure they banned it due to ozone layer worries, not for anything to do with it being a major health problem.
Actually, if memory serves, the original reason to ban carbon tetrachloride was that rats that were heavily exposed sometimes got cancer. This was in the 1980s. People knew of ozone depletion and there were efforts to ban it for that, but the original justification was cancer.

For all those with stupid suggestions about bacon fat etc. Get a grip this is 2024 not 1824 there are products available to do the job properly.
This is a very uppity attitude. I've typically been impressed by your wisdom. But for you to behave as though I'm some idiot for suggesting lard leads me to believe that when it comes to the heavy industry repair waters I swim in, you would probably not even be able to lift most of the hand tools I use on the regular.

I can't make a hundred of anything efficiently, but I sure as heck can make one very critical part very efficiently and very correctly. And I'll do so with lard.

You're correct, it is 2023, and we've lost a lot of fucking strong wisdom from those days past and most likely because of people with your attitude.

Actually, if memory serves, the original reason to ban carbon tetrachloride was that rats that were heavily exposed sometimes got cancer. This was in the 1980s. People knew of ozone depletion and there were efforts to ban it for that, but the original justification was cancer.

Yeah, thought that one was obvious. I was referring to the trike. I should have clarified that.

I am anti-acronym and anti-initialism because it is jargon with the intent to exclude people from the conversation, and that is not polite
Precisely. The older I get, the more I detest fancy words and fancy talk. Jackasses who use words like 'multiculturalism' or 'maximizing growth potential through the implementation of multi-faceted marketing approaches and value propositions'. The author Samuel Beckett said it best - 'words are shit'.

On the topic of lard:

Lard, by its very nature, is nasty. When someone is called 'lard ass' it's never a compliment.

It might work for cutting, but there's always a better product out there.

I always enjoy watching the credits roll at the end of 'The Shawshank Redemption'. In the movie, there's a scene where one of the new inmates - a lard ass - is called 'fat ass' by the other inmates in an attempt to ridicule him. So when the credits roll, they say, for example, Andy - Tim Robbins and Red - Morgan Freeman. Then, when they get to the inmate, it just says 'Fat Ass'. Lol.

you would probably not even be able to lift most of the hand tools I use on the regular.
What an infantile response. I'm assuming that you equate IQ with tool size, I can assure you that this is not the case.

Camp LeJuene,
The TCE shit is no joke.

I was at MALS-14 from 2008 to 11 and knew a female GySgt (E-7) (about 20 years older than me) who confirmed to me that the stories of the fumes in the airplane hangars were so strong they would melt the plastic components on your uniforms was true. --the offices in the hangers were on the second floor...

50 gallon drums of TCE heated with open air propane burners to wash airplane parts...

And yeah it all got dumped into the ground. Mostly at LeJuene but im sure cherry point same shit.

Now as for the occasional TCE brake cleaner used as tapping fluid? In a ventilated shop? Nah. That's not what gave everyone cancer...

But who knows really. Allegedly there is plenty of evidence that the fumes in the military uniforms brought home everyday and washed in the machines with their wives and kids.. gave them all cancer. And not a small number. Thousands of cases well above statistical norms.

I cannot imagine TCE fumes so strong it melts plastic off your clothing. But then again i cant imagine how some of my relatives got black lung at age 30 or less..and it makes me wonder what my future children might wonder about my life choices.

Last edited:
I must be buying the wrong bacon because I've had a can of rendered bacon fat on my counter for a year now and it hasn't gone bad. I cant smell it but my cats wont eat it.

However they will lick the skillets clean.

I must be buying the wrong bacon because I've had a can of rendered bacon fat on my counter for a year now and it hasn't gone bad. I cant smell it but my cats wont eat it.

However they will lick the skillets clean.
Was it from MacDonald's that stuff never goes off. My friend left a quarter pounder on the window sill for a year and it never went off only shrunk.

Was it from MacDonald's that stuff never goes off. My friend left a quarter pounder on the window sill for a year and it never went off only shrunk.
Nah, just average to good quality uncured bacon i fried up in a skillet and poured off the lard/oil/grease whatever you call it into a can thinking i would do something with it later, like start a fire with it, or make soap, but never did.

On a serious note:
Wife found a guy on tic Tok who had been eating raw chicken every day. He should be at like day 35 now. Hasn't gotten sick yet. --allegedly he ate raw beef from whole foods everyday but quit after 200 days of not getting sick, so he started a new channel on chicken.

modern living though chemicals and antibiotica!

rest in peace your gut lining.

On a serious note:
Wife found a guy on tic Tok who had been eating raw chicken every day. He should be at like day 35 now. Hasn't gotten sick yet. --allegedly he ate raw beef from whole foods everyday but quit after 200 days of not getting sick, so he started a new channel on chicken
I saw someone eat raw chicken once, apparently if it's fresh their is no danger at all. Their are some Lebanese guys in my factory complex who bbq chicken on Fridays and it's a little pink and bloody, I haven't got sick yet. Fresh bbq chicken with olive oil, garlic and lemon juice on flat bread. I'm drooling thinking about it.

Back