What's new
What's new

Taps meaure oversize

Thank you. I appreciate polite and constructive comments. Not all comments on my question fit that definition but your's does. I am not a machinist or mechanic by trade so experience comes very slowly and costly at times too. Haha
Years ago I bought a discount full set of SAE taps and dies in a steel case. They also were carbon steel, often not exactly the correct size and most of the dies had heavy burrs that had to be ground off. After trying to "finesse" this kit of junk into useful shape I eventually threw the whole lot out.

If you are looking for decent quality taps in a few sizes try Victor (www.victornet.com). They have good prices and I've never been disappointed buying from them. Sometimes it is better to build a collection a few good pieces at a time rather than buying crap sets.

Years ago I bought a discount full set of SAE taps and dies in a steel case. They also were carbon steel, often not exactly the correct size and most of the dies had heavy burrs that had to be ground off. After trying to "finesse" this kit of junk into useful shape I eventually threw the whole lot out.

If you are looking for decent quality taps in a few sizes try Victor (www.victornet.com). They have good prices and I've never been disappointed buying from them. Sometimes it is better to build a collection a few good pieces at a time rather than buying crap sets.
Thanks. Ultimately I ended up discarding five questionable taps out of about 25 in the set. Not a bad percentage, but when some in the set surprise you when using them it is frustrating. Some of these hardware store sets may be put together from different manufacturing lines or who knows where? Best regards.

Most users dont know,....but if a tap isnt "form relieved" its crap...........Taps that cut hard,drag ,and break are cheap screw cut hardware store junk..........taps dont need to be HSS,chrome steel is just as good ........but they do need to be ground and form relieved.

What do guys use when they chase threads on engine rebuilds? I see videos of them using taps all the time. Are there special taps for that?
they use taps, not a nice safe soft bolt because they are mechanics, not machinists and someone else pays either way.

Taps are probably OK on a small block Chev ,but you will definitely oversize the thread using a new tap,and where this is critical ,on most diesels ,you are just asking for a stripped head bolt hole.

Back