What's new
What's new

That random phone call

Nothing leaves my shop without deburring, even bar stock gets a quick hit with a flap wheel or belt grinder. Way too much liability. Too often it's like handing a guy a knife blade when he's expecting a screwdriver.

Yea it's an aggravation how many things out there are not de-burred and have sharp edges. Machine tools, material handling, lawn and farm equipment are 4 categories. It's pretty crappy when a machine builder leaves a saw cut end with zero de-burring. I chamfer and grind 99.99%, even left over bar ends get the sharp saw cut edge broken. But if I'm making parts that I'm going to be welding, any sharp edges that will be welded over, not wasting time with those. I've had cut pieces of material come in from metal suppliers with cut ends, no de-burring.

On behalf of all welders out there, always deburr the fucking parts!
I don't know who where ever decided that it was ok to not deburr shit because " oh it just gets welded" but I see it all the fucking time from a few shops & muhhchinists, guess what, a welder has to handle the fucking things or deburr the shit for you, oh and it's $100 per bandaid.
I always thought guys who swear a lot were too dumb or lazy to come up with better adjectives for things - especially when communicating in a written form.
In your defense tho...
In the Navy they told us that the guy who doesn't deburr his parts doesn't wipe his ass.

As to random phone calls.....

It was the 4th of July and our neighborhood was having a parade and block party that was a 50 year tradition. I had just walked into the house to get our contribution to the potluck dinner. Phone rings and it's the salesman I had met at WESTEC in LA a few months prior. He had a killer deal on a smallish CNC that had been used as a demo, full new machine warranty at less than half the list price. And the sale would be through a trustworthy local dealer I knew very well. I told him I had to think about it for a day. Okay, he gave me the day, warning that he had others on his call list.

I took the deal and it made one of the most significant boosts to my relatively new start up. Just a few minutes one way or the other and I might never have answered the phone. I never did get around to asking why was calling on the 4th.

I complained to Alro a year ago that they need to relay the message to Nucor that it's time that they sharpen their dies!

Started gitt'n bad during Wuhan Flu, and ... I git it...
But they couldn't find a grinder in the last 2 yrs now?

Only gitt'n worse...

That flag was under stretch wrap and I grabbed 'hold of that to slide the 20' bundle into the saw a little further, and - "what the world?"

I'll send that pic to my salesman.
I sent him one a yr ago.

Maybe this time I'll CC the outside salesman as well...
They can pass it up the totem pole and everyone can ignore it.

--------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

Last edited:
I have a very large belt sander that makes quick work of that, but 5' bars of 1.75" start to git heavy after a few bars...

This post could have been in the "Supplier Non-sense" thread as well I s'pose.

-----------------

They'd likely be fodder for my 18" pedestal grinder at my shop, I haven't had the fortune to get a big belt grinder yet. but yes they'd get heavy fast.

I have one of them big "Cincinnati" type grinders, but it's in the barn at home.
Just seemed like any self respecting shop should aught'a have one, but I'm not sure why.
I should sell it...

----------------------

I have one of them big "Cincinnati" type grinders, but it's in the barn at home.
Just seemed like any self respecting shop should aught'a have one, but I'm not sure why.
I should sell it...

----------------------

They work pretty good if you need to hand grind a big twist drill. Not that anybody does that these days.

Back