What's new
What's new

That random phone call

If you got a big grinder ,be very careful of the gap between the rest and the wheel ...........I had a 24" DE grinder with 15hp,and the thing would really rip steel .......and I let the gap get a bit big,it grabbed the work and very nearly took half my hand.

If you got a big grinder ,be very careful of the gap between the rest and the wheel ...........I had a 24" DE grinder with 15hp,and the thing would really rip steel .......and I let the gap get a bit big,it grabbed the work and very nearly took half my hand.

I think about that every time my 3/4 hp snag grinder sucks the work in.

----------

I am Ox and I approve this post!

Yeah, don't do that... One of those big wheels with a mega coarse grit could disappear a pretty good portion of hand in a split second. And uhh, there's no stitching *that* back together.

Yeah, don't do that... One of those big wheels with a mega coarse grit could disappear a pretty good portion of hand in a split second. And uhh, there's no stitching *that* back together.

Small hand held grinders can hurt too.

last week The guy on the end is minding his own business, when another of the inmates walks up with blood spurting from his fore arm. He's holding his arm with a dirty shop rag.
The guy takes a closer look, realises a torniquet is required, pulls of his belt and wraps it around his bicep, which stopped the blood spurting out. Then he looks closer.
The guy had been hand grinding with a hand held grinder, and somehow managed to shatter the disk. The broken disk travelled up his forearm at 3600rpm, cutting a trench about 3/4" deep. Apparently you could see everything inside.
So the blade travelled up his forearm and buried itself into the inside of his elbow, half in and half out. Pretty gruesome so I was told.

Paramedics were there within 5 minutes, they took him to out local hospital St Judes which is excellent. Except they don't have a trauma team there in emergency. So they took him 10-15 miles in rush hour traffic (4pm) to a trauma center in Irvine.

Must have been painful when the opened up the wound to clean all the debris out. They kept him overnight.

---------------------------------

The funny part is as the paramedics turned up, the injured guy asked 1st guy if he could get his wallet from the shop, he retrieved it. The injured guy told 1st guy to take all the cash out of the wallet (approx $1k) as he didn't want his wife to get her hands on the money when she came to the hospital.
Injured guy said "man that would really suck if she got her hands on the money"
Guys got a grinding wheel buried in his elbow and he's concerned about keeping his wife away from his money.

The QGR bridge shop at Emerald Qld had a 48" DE grinder ,it used to take 5 minutes to speed up and 5 minutes to stop .....Lovely old machine ,it was left running all day ,and stopped when the shop power was cut at 4 pm.every afternoon.

We once had an unfortunately, accident prone young woman that worked with us. She could be walking by innocently and something would hit her as she walked by. One day she decided to clean the disk sander while it was on with a shop rag. Why? I don't know, maybe she was tired of tempting fate and decided to give it a sloppy kiss instead, well as you may guess the disk sander grabbed the rag and pulled her hand into the sanding disk and chewed it up pretty good( 40grit). She got mad at me for calling her Sandy for 6 months. So what if her name was Jennifer.

I complained to Alro a year ago that they need to relay the message to Nucor that it's time that they sharpen their dies!

Started gitt'n bad during Wuhan Flu, and ... I git it...
But they couldn't find a grinder in the last 2 yrs now?

Only gitt'n worse...

That flag was under stretch wrap and I grabbed 'hold of that to slide the 20' bundle into the saw a little further, and - "what the world?"

I'll send that pic to my salesman.
I sent him one a yr ago.

Maybe this time I'll CC the outside salesman as well...
They can pass it up the totem pole and everyone can ignore it.

--------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

Reply back:

"Understand . the mills do not care about our needs , they think they are a higher power"

----------------

I want to click on that, but I don't want that showing up on my Google ads for the next 3 weeks. :willy_nilly:

------------------

I have seen this argued both ways. Seen reference to studies that say that people who use a lot of profanity are actually usually very intelligent. Use it or don't. No skin off my nose. You might be able to tell that I'm not easily offended. :D

You want profanity ...check out crooked cop Chook Fowler .....he said F/n so many times it took him twice as long to say anything............youll also get a laugh out of him f/n about the football size bundles of cash he was throwing into the back of the cop car .."All for the f/n comissioner "

You want profanity ...check out crooked cop Chook Fowler .....he said F/n so many times it took him twice as long to say anything............youll also get a laugh out of him f/n about the football size bundles of cash he was throwing into the back of the cop car .."All for the f/n comissioner "
Back in the early 90's I was working in the bush and we were staying in the dorms of a remote mine site. I was in the cafeteria one morning having breakfast and there was a diamond driller sitting at the next table talking to another guy. Diamond drillers (at least back then) were a fairly rough bunch (probably something to do with the fact you spent the entire winter in the bush making good money and the cops couldn't find you). I had never, and have never since, heard someone swear as much as this guy. A 12 word sentence would be 36 words long as he said fuck twice for every non swear word. Like you mentioned it seemed to take him forever to make a point. It quickly got tiring listening to him and it made him sound like an idiot. Having said that, some of the smartest guys I've ever worked with swore alot. I think the difference was that they did it in a way that helped make a point, not delay it. I swear usually when things aren't going well, so that is quite often. It blows off some steam and has helped me to not strangle some asshole many, many times.

Ken

Ive only done that once, part jumps, jams your thumb into the wheel and half the nail is missing on one side. Bonus is it will shave it off and burn it shut at the same time so it doesnt bleed.

Back