What's new
What's new

The Ethics of Automation

Gobo replied to this post with WTF and fifty question marks, I guess to emphasize the question?

Anyway your last sentence, I think, is in regards to the Amazon (or Google I cant remember) Artificial Intelligence program that had to be shut down when it was learned that the machines created their own language to speak to each other. To me personally, that is some scary shit, though I may have watched too many Sci-fi movies in my day

This is pretty informative.

https://towardsdatascience.com/the-truth-behind-facebook-ai-inventing-a-new-language-37c5d680e5a7

Shutting down a chat bot when it stops showing a reasonable outcome is about as ominous as changing a faulty light bulb.-that is from the article.

Last edited:
The tribe should ban atlatls, because they allow the same amount of meat to be gathered by a smaller number of hunters.

And execute the guy who invents a bow!

As a kid I read a book about a prehistoric spear maker who was banished from the tribe after his (forbidden) attempt to join a hunt got a hunter killed. Long story short, during his banishment he experiments and creates first an atlatl and darts and eventually a bow and arrows, accidentally discovers how to create poison arrows, accidentally discovers how to make rather than scavenge fire, how to smoke meat to preserve it, and even how to use pitch to make waterproof containers. Eventually the pathetic surviving remnant of his former tribe come back to the area and see how well he and an outcast woman are thriving. I think it was called Fire Hunter. It was fiction but was more or less a condensed version of human progress intended for young readers.

.... Artificial Intelligence program that had to be shut down when it was learned that the machines created their own language to speak to each other. To me personally, that is some scary shit,

Any links to this as truth, rumors or gossip? Any and all will be accepted with a big thanks.
I full well know you think me not a serious machinists or other but I do dabble in this.
Bob

Any links to this as truth, rumors or gossip? Any and all will be accepted with a big thanks.
I full well know you think me not a serious machinists or other but I do dabble in this.
Bob

Gobo posted something above, it was Facebook and apparently not as scary as I had first thought

And execute the guy who invents a bow!

As a kid I read a book about a prehistoric spear maker who was banished from the tribe after his (forbidden) attempt to join a hunt got a hunter killed. Long story short, during his banishment he experiments and creates first an atlatl and darts and eventually a bow and arrows, accidentally discovers how to create poison arrows, accidentally discovers how to make rather than scavenge fire, how to smoke meat to preserve it, and even how to use pitch to make waterproof containers. Eventually the pathetic surviving remnant of his former tribe come back to the area and see how well he and an outcast woman are thriving. I think it was called Fire Hunter. It was fiction but was more or less a condensed version of human progress intended for young readers.

You might enjoy this, I show it to my kids:

Primitive Technology - YouTube

Gobo posted something above, it was Facebook and apparently not as scary as I had first thought

:dopeslap: not paying enough attention. :nono:.
More interesting is that so many want to believe a problem in "smart" computers is here or just around the corner and that once that corner is turned they will be out of control and miles past us as humans in a short time.
I do not see it.
The promises of AI have been forever and still can not drive a car decently let alone at race speeds or in bad weather.
Plenty of high paid people still working on that basic task that involves no thinking or concentration as we all go down the road everyday.
As a human one drives. There is no thinking involved and in most cases you are thinking about something else altogether.
Yet a computer confuses a big white semi truck with a cloud in the sky...oops

A robot on a machine will do brain dead dumb things over and over and be so happy.
How does one punish a robot for being stupid over a shift? They do not get paid and do not care if you kick them as hard as you can.

I am a really big fan of automation and computer systems. There needs to be more understanding.
The trip often taken every weekend was two hours, Dad drove and I would sleep. This would be like so cool if the car could do that and for sure thought it coming.
Thing is is no, not now and I will likely die before it reality.
Bob

Just want to make this clear. I have never re-posted anything from Facebook and anyone who believes ANYTHING they read on Facebook is an idiot.

So, a local fella that they say was in the hospital (on Facebook) wasn't actually sick at all?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

JHC you guys.... SteelerFn was saying that the entity that created the AI was Facebook, not that Gobo posted an article FROM Facebook.

How would you know if the internet of connected computers itself had already become sentient and is actually already manipulating us? One comprising photo sent to the right address and you are out of the way. Traffic light changing a little fast or slow and another one bites the dust. Screw up a flight schedule and someone misses an important meeting.

Not to put a damper on Progress, but I think it's good to take a step back sometimes and make sure we're going in the right direction.

Is automation good or bad?

Some points to consider are as follows:

Pros:
  • Automation can make things cleaner, safer, more efficient, and improve quality.
  • Automation can eliminate boring, tedious, or dangerous tasks.
  • Automation can be an alternative to sending jobs overseas where labor standards are lower.

Cons:
  • Automation can eliminate low-skill jobs, meaning poor, under-educated, or otherwise disadvantaged people now have no way to contribute.
  • Automation can put more and more control in the hands of fewer and fewer people.
  • Automation work puts us increasingly in front of computers, reducing the physical engagement of our whole bodies and all our senses in our work.

LOL, maybe we should put women back to work spinning thread and weaving clothing so they all have jobs.

I think you have your priorities screwed up. We do work because we have to work to provide the necessities of life and leisure and to provide for the future. We do not do work just to do work.

The issue is that in modern society, with the exception of welfare programs, a person has no right to live unless they can sell their time for enough to buy that "right", or leverage capital they already have to get more. So once that time is no longer needed, only the wealthy have the right to live, and that bar will rise until the situation changes. Since improvements in automation are inexorable, eventually you'll have almost everyone either destitute or supported on welfare paid by the very few who own and control the means of production. That's not a particularly stable state of affairs.

The only long term solution is a transition to a post scarcity economy.

The benefits of automated operations are higher productivity, reliability, availability, increased performance, and reduced operating costs. Moving to lights-out operations yields a good return on investment. The benefits of automated systems can be a powerful motive for increasing service to your end users. Businesses needs software that fit their needs to be competitive.

Back