What's new
What's new

The Scammers are Thick - Beware

Fal Grunt

Titanium
I was contacted about my thread looking for Moore Tool Holders and told to contact [email protected] for tool holders. After two or three emails if became readily apparent that the guy doesn't know anything about machining.

He sent me the already terrible pictures from this ebay advertisement, and even gave me a healthy discount, asking $300 instead of the full $475!

Since I've played this game before, I decided to engage our fine friend with lots of meaningless and time wasting questions. After repeated requests for better pictures and him claiming he had an old camera and it was the best he could do, he managed to get his neighbor to help and sent me a random assortment of pictures from this sellers ebay listings.

After asking him for a phone number to discuss or having my friends in LA stop by and pick up the tools, he stopped communicating.

I tried to get some IP or anything trackable, but between gmail and outlook, everything is masked so I couldn't track him to associate the email with an IP.

Be vigilant, be smart, if you have a second of doubt, ask questions.

I recently found out that :
China is making counterfeit flutes...
I just bought a used flute for $300 and have to wonder if it is real
We found that counterfeit top-name digital calipers have been going on for a time.

And last but not least, fake ladies are now selling beer.
That is like fighting and expecting a big fish...and then finding it's just a stinky old boot.

Last edited:
Good advice to be wary, but also: report these guys and we'll shitcan them ASAP. While I understand the desire to f*ck with these guys, keep in mind that reporting them immediately may prevent someone less savvy than you from getting scammed. You can report a private message the same way you report an inappropriate message in a thread.

There is a pretty easy way to recognize the majority of these guys - they always have low or zero post count and they always send a private message referring to "this guy they know" and include an email address. IP address will most of the time be useless because a scammer will certainly be using a VPN.

Just remember: if it's too good to be true, it almost always is.

Last edited:
I played this game with someone responding to my WTB as well. Got them banned here pronto (using the report button from the communication -- credit to moderators on response time) and filed their gmail account with Google's fraud submission tool. I think MSFT has a similar reporting tool online. Usually, they use hijacked accounts so not much to be done, but it is also worth reporting to the domain of origin...

A friend's mother-in-law was chatting with another grandmother, and the other person asked, "You want to see something really cool?
The other person sent something..and that something, when opened, fried the mother-in-law's computer, It went belly-up...The computer store could not fix it and went into the scrapper.

I recently found out that :
China is making counterfeit flutes...
I just bought a used flute for $300 and have to wonder if it is real
We found that counterfeit top-name digital calipers have been going on for a time.

And last but not least, fake ladies are now selling beer.
That is like fighting and expecting a big fish...and then finding it's just a stinky old boot.
The flute deal failed..lady selling it through Reverb backed out of the deal, so I bought another one through Reverb for $400.
My daughter loves her new flute, so it all worked out.
(yes, I got my $300 back)
Flutes can be $90.. or $1,000 and are much the same, so an excellent item to counterfeit. The one I bought sells for 1,000 to $1,300 new and the one I bought is like new from a reputable music store so I expect it is a real one.

Last edited:
Theres counterfeit Dewalt batteries & other brands in several places online . Kinda like theres more big block Chevelle's on the road today then left the factory .
animal

I'm up to 4 reported scam accounts...

There should be prizes for who reports the most of these morons. Maybe a free membership to the forum. ;) Still not sure what their ultimate goal is unless they are expecting you to give them a CC# over email or something equally stupid.

I haven't been a member very long so others must have me beat by miles in this game.

Again credit to the moderator(s) for making them disappear quickly.

Not a scam but crooks at night.
A truck across the street was taken, and two or more trucks just down the block were broken into.
Cop told my neighbor that they are after review mirror and backup Tv monitor....and that the gangs are 11 to 17-year-old teens.

Likely this may get nation wide so good to have the alarm set.

I'm up to 5 now. This one didn't even bother trying to post something before sending stupid emails... The last two have come over all British/Aussie and addressing you as "hey mate." Might be the lathe night TV infomercial guy. lol

I was contacted about my thread looking for Moore Tool Holders and told to contact [email protected] for tool holders. After two or three emails if became readily apparent that the guy doesn't know anything about machining.

He sent me the already terrible pictures from this ebay advertisement, and even gave me a healthy discount, asking $300 instead of the full $475!

Since I've played this game before, I decided to engage our fine friend with lots of meaningless and time wasting questions. After repeated requests for better pictures and him claiming he had an old camera and it was the best he could do, he managed to get his neighbor to help and sent me a random assortment of pictures from this sellers ebay listings.

After asking him for a phone number to discuss or having my friends in LA stop by and pick up the tools, he stopped communicating.

I tried to get some IP or anything trackable, but between gmail and outlook, everything is masked so I couldn't track him to associate the email with an IP.

Be vigilant, be smart, if you have a second of doubt, ask questions.
Hello: Happened to me recently while looking for parts for a Worcester drill grinder... Guy sent me a message that he had a whole machine he was parting out and an email addy... I responded and he sent pix of what he had...There was a picture of a whole machine that I had seen on the net so I told him to remove what I wanted and shoot me a pic...He said he did not want to disassemble the unit as someone might want the whole machine... Dead giveaway... They are among us.. Cheers from HOT Louisiana; Ramsay 1:)

Granted it still wouldn't prevent everyone from being burned by these scammers, but it's a thought. Maybe if something like a bright red asterisk was automatically added beside any new members user name on there forum posts or private messages until they had at least 100 posts and that was well publicized as something to be cautious about, it would at least reduce there chances of pulling a scam by quite a bit. The only question is if the forums software allows something like that to be set up.

Granted it still wouldn't prevent everyone from being burned by these scammers, but it's a thought. Maybe if something like a bright red asterisk was automatically added beside any new members user name on there forum posts or private messages until they had at least 100 posts and that was well publicized as something to be cautious about, it would at least reduce there chances of pulling a scam by quite a bit. The only question is if the forums software allows something like that to be set up.
One of the muzzleloading forums I belong to does this. The forum automatically marks replies and PM's from members with low post numbers with a warning. The image is a screenshot of a message I received. Similar scammer action.

MikeScreenshot_20230710_111949_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
Scamming must be working or they would not keep doing it.
if one had counterfeit 20$ bills, clearly stamped counterfeit on both sides they would likely sell for 50 cents each..and possibly be legal..
We had fake 20s floating around Kentucky, and I wanted one but could not find one for free.

Wow there it is counterfeit for sale on eBay

I think those scammers work on quantity, hit enough places and sooner or later the odds are someone may take the bait. One would think that to make enough at it, the time involved would be no different than just getting a real job. I like MMC's example though, first time I've seen that. I can think of one or two long term members here being mentioned in the past and even one or two used machine tool dealers like Al Babbin doing a full on rip offs for quite a bit of money. So nothing this forum could do is ever going to be 100% effective.

Scamming must be working or they would not keep doing it.
if one had counterfeit 20$ bills, clearly stamped counterfeit on both sides they would likely sell for 50 cents each..and possibly be legal..
We had fake 20s floating around Kentucky, and I wanted one but could not find one for free.

Wow there it is counterfeit for sale on eBay
Funny story. I was living in Saskatchewan Canada, at the time.

THREE consecutive weeks, the SAME bar, was in the news, as someone was passing black and white copies of $20 Bills to the Serving Girls!

Hard to feel bad, as even the News Announcers were chuckling, by the third time...
One of those places where the serving Girls were the only ones allowed near the Bar. Low light, they got a wad of bills to manage, and drink orders...

I used to do OK in those places. Wander in, wander over to the girl in the lineup that dealt with the area I was sitting, and tip her a twenty up front, as well as pay for the beers I ordered. Folks around me never figured out why I always had a fresh drink, while they were waiting...

Back