What's new
What's new

The world is about to re shuffle

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are delusional if you think they can find employable skilled people readily availible.

Just employable people is going to be a challaenge in itself

----------------------------------------------------------------

I was working early 90's at a place were we made automated machinery. We made a big machine that pressed rubber seals into a Canon connector. It was a slow machine. We asked the Canon engineer
"Why are we making this machine, it's not any faster than a human?"
he replied
"we need this machine because we can't get people to turn up on time, turn up drug and alchohol free, and last more than 2 weeks"

This was back around 1991, it's probably worse now.

-----------------------------------------

Last place i worked did Aerospace R&D, when we would hire manual/cnc machinists/programmers/inspectors etc, 9 out of 10 never made it to the end of the first week, most lasted a day. This was in Socal where you'd think there'd be a large pool of experienced people.

----------------------------------------

It's never going to happen, not in my lifetime anyway

-------------------------------------------

Surprised olrlt hasn't chimed in, he always seems to have a take on the situation none of us are privy too.

Well if two Million people returned to help support the war effort, two MILLION went into Poland to avoid it. My sister in Law comes from a polish town 20 kilometers from the Belorussian border, there town is heaving with Ukranians of all shapes, sizes. genders and ages.

Around SIX million left, all destinations, actually. Not exclusively women, children, elderly, or otherwise not "prime combatant material", no.

A country of 44 million, even with an above the mark 'patriotism', is still a long way from "perfect'.... but still.

Those who came BACK (some just before the latest iteration of the 8-plus-year long war) have. and will, make a positive difference to the point where Mad-Vlad's "boots on the ground" were actually outnumbered in head-count AND in quality of training/competence, command & organizational skills .. and early-on.

Add the classical ground-warfare advantage of 3:1 in favour of defenders on their home, familiar, turf, with shorter lines of logistics, a VERY supportive population, and eight YEARS of practice?

I make it a 6:1 advantage, "as has been demonstrated"

What AFU has done with that edge + 'donated' weapons, logistics support, and FUNDING ...plus a very skillful "mobile defence".... is tilt the balance of casualties to RF personnel, materiel, and morale to the advantage of Ukraine.

Bigtime!

Presuming 'the usual' ratio of wounded to KIA applies?

RF forces were down by day 82 @ around 27,000 dead, PLUS around EIGHTY thousand wounded or otherwise hors de combat.

As said, Mad-Vlad set out to demonstrate the Russian Federation had the second most powerful Military on the planet.

All he has proven, so far, is to have the second most powerful military ... in Ukraine.

Annnnd .... 'historically..' there IS NO "second place winner" ..... in a gunfight, is there?

QED

Given some of the recent events here, I have to believe there is a concerted effort amongst the majority of forum members to eliminate or minimize the political slant to the forum's threads.

I see no value to this thread other than to stir up shit. If this were a democracy, I would vote to lock it immediately. You know damn well where it's going.

100% agree. Ukraine, presidential elections, gun control, etc. are all political by nature.

It's one thing to do a thread about the effect of supply chain disruptions on PM members and quite another to keep pushing the Ukraine issue. Supply chain issues are a result of many things including Covid, weather issues such as drought etc., crop diseases, domestic energy policy changes, labor supply and many others, including events overseas.

One thing that should be obvious is that we are far too dependent on imports, which makes us vulnerable to such disruptions.

The GOP is totally opposed to comprehensive immigration reform, due to the loss of the toxic talking point.

But hey, fuck politics.

If we stopped dumbing down our own children in our "education" system and denigrating "manual" work we could have a vital energized domestic work force in only a few years.

A lot of those coming across the border will end up working as landscaping employees, unskilled and semi-skilled construction labor, and even taxi drivers if their language skills are good enough. For the most part we are NOT importing rocket scientists or even skilled mechanics, machinists etc. across that border.

There’s going to be a lot of work for US construction companies when this over.Rebuilding what ever is left of Ukraine.

Regards Tyrone.

Ah... you mean a lot of work for UKRAINE'S contractors, doncha?

Even after wartime losses, they'll still have plenty of skilled labour.

Hopefuly with (formerly) Russian money, too!

Money, they had less of. Hence so many Ukrainian "gastarbeiter" / economic expats.

Not quite the same model as the Philippines.

Closer, perhaps to Turkey? Pleny of Turks working in EU factories, but plenty of Turkish manufacturers of components as well.

Ah... you mean a lot of work for UKRAINE'S contractors, doncha?

Even after wartime losses, they'll still have plenty of skilled labour.

Hopefuly with (formerly) Russian money, too!

Money, they had less of. Hence so many Ukrainian "gastarbeiter" / economic expats.

Not quite the same model as the Philippines.

Closer, perhaps to Turkey? Pleny of Turks working in EU factories, but plenty of Turkish manufacturers of components as well.

The Ukrainians may or may not be doing the work but you can bet your house that US construction companies will be behind it.

Regards Tyrone.

I am looking between 7 and 10k Euros.
Pivot, Mondraker, Lapierre, but probably will end with something like a Cube Hybrid and swap the forks out for some Ohlins or Fox Factory.
Not too worried about the back end - it always follows the front....

I expected that first price point to be an issue, surprisingly, there is some stock shown here.....probably end up with, sorry website hasn't been updated mate, we'll hold your money for another 6~9 months!

I am looking between 7 and 10k Euros.
Pivot, Mondraker, Lapierre, but probably will end with something like a Cube Hybrid and swap the forks out for some Ohlins or Fox Factory.
Not too worried about the back end - it always follows the front....
Glad you got the bike in ok. Now this is a bicycle correct? There are a fair amount of electric bicycles around now and they are pretty quick. Filling up on Gas now is really much higher so I think for people they are using their bikes and motorcycles a lot more. All the different categories of price increases is a new twist in daily life.

Last edited:
The Ukrainians may or may not be doing the work but you can bet your house that US construction companies will be behind it.

Regards Tyrone.
Looking at the location of Mariupol it's likely Russia will be spending big money with someone to get the port and city operating asap. Wonder if China will be involved in rebuilding especially with the steel mills.

Looking at the location of Mariupol it's likely Russia will be spending big money with someone to get the port and city operating asap. Wonder if China will be involved in rebuilding especially with the steel mills.
Not sure it will be feasible ASAP, maybe in years or never. It is looking like the RF is losing friends in the Russian-speaking community in that part of the world by brute force. The goal was never to gain the land, the goal was to occupy it to get to the Galati gap in Romania As a side benefit they could have gotten some of the oil in Ploesti.

Not sure it will be feasible ASAP, maybe in years or never. It is looking like the RF is losing friends in the Russian-speaking community in that part of the world by brute force. The goal was never to gain the land, the goal was to occupy it to get to the Galati gap in Romania As a side benefit they could have gotten some of the oil in Ploesti.
Looking at the maps it would seem Russian control of Mariupol would be a strategic win. The linked article is 6 weeks old so that needs to taken into account.

Wasn't there a large "surrender" in Mariupol just yesterday?

500 or so, mostly hospital cases. 12 bus loads as far as I can tell.

Any way, the city is is different hands today than it was 3 months ago. No going back I think.

Looking at the maps it would seem Russian control of Mariupol would be a strategic win. The linked article is 6 weeks old so that needs to taken into account.

Yeah, it is a win, but...but who is going to live there, the Russians killed probably in excess of 20,00 Russian speakers in Mariupol, you know the ones they came to "rescue". I am, not sure how much goodwill is left for Russia in any part of Ukraine, even the puppet regime in Donetsk is pissed at them. Igor Girkin had scathing criticism of the Russian army.

Higher costs of everyday goods is making it real tough on average working people. Hate to think how it's hurting those on a fixed income. Stock market is getting hammered. Yeah...we might be in a world of hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back