What's new
What's new

Thermite

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to ban some of the moderators!
I beg to disagree. While thermite often offered valuable insights he also had a habit, especially recently of insulting members without real cause, often seemingly just to be "the smartest guy in the room". In other words, not in response to being insulted or even outrageous posts, simply what used to be called "flaming", insults merely for the sake of insults.

In some ways he almost seemed to be trying to make up for the absence of Gordon, who was notorious for such behavior.

Perhaps some are new, or have short memories but not too long ago trading insults sometimes reached the level of physical threats, attempts (and threats) of doxxing, including one chronic insult thrower threatening to "reveal" him to his business customers. The powers that be were right to try and rein this stuff in.

I beg to disagree. While thermite often offered valuable insights he also had a habit, especially recently of insulting members without real cause, often seemingly just to be "the smartest guy in the room". In other words, not in response to being insulted or even outrageous posts, simply what used to be called "flaming", insults merely for the sake of insults.

In some ways he almost seemed to be trying to make up for the absence of Gordon, who was notorious for such behavior.

Perhaps some are new, or have short memories but not too long ago trading insults sometimes reached the level of physical threats, attempts (and threats) of doxxing, including one chronic insult thrower threatening to "reveal" him to his business customers. The powers that be were right to try and rein this stuff in.
Scotti,
Much of what you said is true, but a little goes a long way. I specifically think the moderator for Manufacturing in US and Europe is way out of line. Insulting behavior is one think, but politely calling out incorrect should not be actionable and it is all the time in that forum.

The bans are automatic these days, and you don't get one for a single incident... Warnings are at the discretion of the moderator in charge of the section. And I expect that one has a lot of trouble on his hands and will for a while until things level out in that section. Politely calling out someone as incorrect should not be a problem, but perhaps there's more going on than meets the eye. I've seen some PMs from some of the guys that are troublemakers in there that might make a sailor blush.

. . .perhaps there's more going on than meets the eye. ..
There are always two sides to the story, and observers almost never see the whole picture. For many years I worked for a large company whose policy it was to keep details of disciplinary action confidential. It often seemed to the rank and file that said action was excessive or completely undeserved. After working in management for a time and being involved in some of these disciplinary events I discovered that in every case it was not only deserved, but that the company had actually exercised considerable restraint. The withholding of details was solely for the purpose of maintaining a degree of privacy for the individual being reprimanded.

Best news I got was the U.K. are dropping a pile of free speech restrictions to the horror of the extreme sinistrals.
Thank you mrs truss, I’m sure thermite will be abusing us shortly, when you get old some of the filters don’t work so well! ( that’s what the mrs told me)( followed by a hole)
Mark

The bans are automatic these days, and you don't get one for a single incident... Warnings are at the discretion of the moderator in charge of the section. And I expect that one has a lot of trouble on his hands and will for a while until things level out in that section. Politely calling out someone as incorrect should not be a problem, but perhaps there's more going on than meets the eye. I've seen some PMs from some of the guys that are troublemakers in there that might make a sailor blush.
I have had polite posts deleted and have received a warning for a polite rebuttal. We have responders making grossly incorrect comments about subjects they have no personal knowledge of or experience in. When that happens, a rebuttal and correction should occur whether it is from me or someone else. My responses were not insulting or impolite. However, corrections can be embarrassing, not because of the correction, but because of the stupidity of the offending statement. That should never be grounds for either a deletion or a warning, yet it happens all to often because said moderator cannot tell the difference.

I miss him and yes he can be a handful at times and quite funny at times too. The Mod in that section is doing what he feels is right despite the complaints. It has always had a heap of discontented there. I don’t think he will be banned or will ban him/her self either.

Thermite had a temporary one month ban. When the ban was lifted, he began taking actions I believed to be negatively impacting the community, and against the core values of why we are all here.

I placed a permanent ban on him, and began working to correct certain issues. I have had continual contact with him throughout, and still hope for a resolution that can be favorable to all.

I personally won't lift a ban on thermite. But in an attempt to de-escalate, and an attempt to be fair I'm not opposed to lifting the ban on Monarchist, the member's alt ID. This solution is about as close to meeting in the middle, as I can propose.

There also appears to be a question of his willingness to continue to participate here, but that's a question he would need to answer.

I would say that all that participate here are smart guys. You're all using free time to participate in a technical forum. But some guys, and some conversations make us work a whole lot harder :D.

I'd ask for a little patience as we sort through daily chaos, new site issues, etc. We do actually enjoy and respect even the more controversial members. Somethings just need a little time to sort out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back