What's new
What's new

Thermite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I can't believe it! My friendly little joke in post #124 has been deemed "inappropriate" and I have been warned! I have to watch my step or my access will be limited! Admin, whoever that is should get a sense of humor. Yep ban me and let Big B spew endlessly. Whatever.

After you said that I went and looked. Big B got 4 more warnings from Admin 5 today it looks like. He appears to be on another PM vacation. This time for 30 days.

. . . except for the fact that he can be abrasive and highly intelligent.
1995 film The Usual Suspects. Chazz Palminteri drops his coffee cup with dawning realization of who really is Keyser Soze.

Could be I'm wrong, but I feel like I'm having that moment. Hear me out. I'm thinking of my reply to you in post# 375, and your subsequent reply in post # 376. . .
Not weak and docile is he ? In fact he's been in open combat with several members over the years, right ?

Now think of all our controversial, strong willed members, EG, Barbter, on and on. If any of those guys feel they were wronged by the site or mods, do sit by quietly and take it :D ? Would you guess thermite would do the same, and have we heard anything ? Why ?

You amoung others have mentioned he is highly intelligent. . . Now think about all his other qualities too, and put them together. Is mischievous in there ?

Who is that guy ? And if you are that guy, and decide you need a long term or permanent break. . .Do you go out on your terms ? Do you go out with a bang ?

And how epic would it be to engineer a 20 page, 394 post count (to date) spectacle, WHILE NOT POSTING ONCE !

Maybe by guessing people will inquire like they did in 2018:
OT...thermite...What happened to Bill ?

And if you are that guy, to sweeten the pot, do you figure a way to make sure its not a lame temporary ban ? Or do you want a spectacle and controversy ?

And if you just happen to know a certain mods ethics, and he would stumble into a problem he'd have to act on. . .in certain specific sections. . .

Hey Bill, you reading this ? I'm saluting you. It's a one finger salute, but a salute all the same. :D

Last edited:
1995 film The Usual Suspects. Chazz Palminteri drops his coffee cup with dawning realization of who really is Keyser Soze.

Could be I'm wrong, but I feel like I'm having that moment. Hear me out. I'm thinking of my reply to you in post# 375, and your subsequent reply in post # 376. . .
Not weak and docile is he ? In fact he's been in open combat with several members over the years, right ?

Now think of all our controversial, strong willed members, EG, Barbter, on and on. If any of those guys feel they were wronged by the site or mods, do sit by quietly and take it :D ? Would you guess thermite would do the same, and have we heard anything ? Why ?

You amoung others have mentioned he is highly intelligent. . . Now think about all his other qualities too, and put them together. Is mischievous in there ?

Who is that guy ? And if you are that guy, and decide you need a long term or permanent break. . .Do you go out on your terms ? Do you go out with a bang ?

And how epic would it be to engineer a 20 page, 394 post count (to date) spectacle, WHILE NOT POSTING ONCE !

Maybe by guessing people will inquire like they did in 2018:
OT...thermite...What happened to Bill ?

And if you are that guy, to sweeten the pot, do you figure a way to make sure its not a lame temporary ban ? Or do you want a spectacle and controversy ?

And if you just happen to know a certain mods ethics, and he would stumble into a problem he'd have to act on. . .in certain specific sections. . .

Hey Bill, you reading this ? I'm saluting you. It's a one finger salute, but a salute all the same. :D
Fair enough Tx. I know you seem to mean very well. I do not agree completely with your outlook yet figure you do have good motivations. Dealing with persons of this type is challenging. You and the other mods have full support and that makes this effort work. Sure something must be done and it has in a positive way. Like any job management will never be able to have a full agreement with the employees yet the employees mindset will regardless be revealed-always. I leave you to it things seem to never come easy.

How dealings with any members go how they are processed will be closely watched by others and fairness judgements will be made. That is part of duty as there is blowback sure. Live and learn that is all we can do besides obviously getting through the day.

Yes, I think most of them have. And probably still do. Personally I only do a little part time supervision and training these days and a little work in my home shop for no more than 2-3 hours at a crack (Wells Index 847, Colchester copy 14x40 lathe, B&S Micromaster 8x18 surface grinder and a Cincinnati Monoset) after having ruptured a disc in my back and a few back surgeries. I get in 2 or 3 hours and I need to lie down.

This shift has little to do with the mods. We don't get to make the rules, we gotta enforce the rules set by management. We only maybe get a little leeway for interpretation - I generally tend to give a little slack, some others may take it - especially in that section where you got the warning. I have no idea if you actually got a warning for using the term "misinformation" - I was just trying to guess why someone might have taken umbrage at your post.
I meant how people behave in machine shops, it isn't church. As for the back have you tried a compression belt? I had a few back surgeries myself. I never heard a person say "I used to have a bad back."

I meant how people behave in machine shops, it isn't church. As for the back have you tried a compression belt? I had a few back surgeries myself. I never heard a person say "I used to have a bad back."

Yeah, I get that and agree with you about the way things are in the shop - but this is not a machine shop, it's a message board, so the rules are a bit different.

I have tried a compression belt, back brace, inversion table, acupuncture and all manner of other things. None really helps long term. Inversion table feels great for instance while I'm in it, but doesn't seem to have any lasting effect after I get out of it. Currently I have a spinal cord simulator that helps a bit and really helps me sleep quite a bit better but still have my 2-3 hour limit on my feet or sitting at a desk before it feels like I'm being tortured. The stim unit gets overpowered by the pain after that time. Feels like someone is pushing on the funny bone nerve but in my mid lower back instead of my elbow - like a harder and harder push on the nerve the longer I stand or sit up - I sit reclined whenever possible. Eventually it gets to be unbearable and I go lay down for a few hours twisted up in just the right way until it subsides. I've adjusted to it over time and now I know my limit so I don't suffer too much. If I go longer than that I might be down the whole rest of the day or even into the next. Docs say maybe some nerve or nerves were permanently damaged when the disc originally ruptured - they don't know for sure. Nerves and spinal cord are one of those areas not fully understood yet.

Reactions: Ox
Yehbutt...some of the things now happening here are absolutely crazy.
Such as the warnings given out to Moonlight and the necro ban to EG.
At this rate, the sole of this place will be gone before long.
Perhaps that's the goal here.

Ref your back - have you had MRI and Ultrasound? Pretty cool what that can detect.
I've currently got piriformis damage where an Osteo "popped" me and bolloxed me. You have my full sympathy as back pain is murder.
Sitting like Bart Simpson helps me - on my back with legs up the back of the sofa.
Gotta take the catapult out the backpocket first though....

I have sent an email off to admin asking for a full clarification on the topic of politics etc. Hopefully we'll get an update soon.

Yes, I have had multiple surgeries, so plenty of scans of this that and the other type. MRIs are useless in that vicinity now because there are a couple titanium pieces that cloud the image in that area. So now I get x-rays or CTs. I had an artificial disc replacement years back but didn't help a whole lot. Looks like this nowadays:

Hardware:
20220929_094449.jpg

Stim electrode:
20220929_094546.jpg

And laying on my back with legs up feels good sometimes for me too, but when the pain is skyrocketing I lay on my stomach with my head on the arm of the couch so my back is arched backwards, then set the footstool off to the side and pull my right leg up as high as I can and extend it to the right almost like a wing onto the foot stool. There I stay until the pain subsides. I discovered that position was best after a ton of tossing and turning "research... "

Last edited:
Absolutely rediculous

I completely dissagree.
I am shocked that 3 days later that the decommissioning is taking place.

But the post that got him the warning had absolutely nothing to doo with the thread thus far, and was only put out there as controversy bait, and is as bad as the response that was it was expected to draw. Again - it takes two to tango.

edit]
And I will add that I am sure that you [both] Shirley understand this.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:

I am sure that there are shops that are not like you mention.
Mine isn't, but there's not that many people here either.

And yes, I did recently post that I used to have a bad back - for 30 years.

I did bugger it up a cpl weeks ago, and was into spasms. Had never been there before! Actually sitting in my wife's 'Burban was the best medicine for that. Weird... But I'm OK now, other than it told me yesterday that "Hey there Bud, we may not be hurt'n, but we don't have all our strength back yet either. I'll git'chew through this load, but take it easy - got it?"

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
I completely dissagree.
I am shocked that 3 days later that the decommissioning is taking place.

But the post that got him the warning had absolutely nothing to doo with the thread thus far, and was only put out there as controversy bait, and is as bad as the response that was it was expected to draw. Again - it takes two to tango.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yep, fair is fair. Like I've said before: a warning really isn't that big of a deal. It takes 5 within 30 days to get any kind of auto ban. And that one for 5 warnings is only a 3 day time out. After 30 days the warnings do drop off your "record."

The delayed reaction is due to an absence. Admin 5 had some time off and came back to discover this fuster cluck of a thread... :D

Yep, fair is fair. Like I've said before: a warning really isn't that big of a deal. It takes 5 within 30 days to get any kind of auto ban. And that one for 5 warnings is only a 3 day time out. After 30 days the warnings do drop off your "record."

The delayed reaction is due to an absence. Admin 5 had some time off and came back to discover this fuster cluck of a thread... :D
I always wondered about that. If you get banned for 30 days, won't all the warnings expire during those 30 days and drop off? Makes me think nobody will get the chance to earn any of the longer bans under that system.

I always wondered about that. If you get banned for 30 days, won't all the warnings expire during those 30 days and drop off? Makes me think nobody will get the chance to earn any of the longer bans under that system.

Good point... It would seem that it wouldn't be possible to get more than a 30 day ban - unless the warnings were all given in a big batch at once for multiple violations. That would be the only way as far as I can see. Perhaps it was intended to be that way, so to get the longer bans one would really need to misbehave a lot. Don't forget that it is possible for us to instantly ban also at our discretion though, if necessary. Those can be temporary or permanent. I don't think that has happened a lot over the years though, besides for spammers. Bet you could count the ones that weren't spam bans on the fingers of one hand.

Actually, it appears that the timer takes a vacation as well, from what we (I) have been able to gather so far.

I kind'a wonder about that this scenario:

So, you got'cherself to 5, and got a 3 day vacation. (no worries, it's a 3 day weekend anyhow, and I was going sledding anyhow, so - all the better!)

But then you get home, and you are allowed back on.
Then a cpl days later, one of your 5 falls off, and you are now down to 4.
What happens when you dig into the Tequila this next weekend, and find yourself fetchin' another point?

Now you are back to 5 within the month, but only 1 since your vacation.
What then?

I'd say that we could ask B, but he doesn't roll that way. He get's 5 or 10 at a time, so ....

????

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Actually, it appears that the timer takes a vacation as well, from what we (I) have been able to gather so far.

I kind'a wonder about that this scenario:

So, you got'cherself to 5, and got a 3 day vacation. (no worries, it's a 3 day weekend anyhow, and I was going sledding anyhow, so - all the better!)

But then you get home, and you are allowed back on.
Then a cpl days later, one of your 5 falls off, and you are now down to 4.
What happens when you dig into the Tequila this next weekend, and find yourself fetchin' another point?

Now you are back to 5 within the month, but only 1 since your vacation.
What then?

I'd say that we could ask B, but he doesn't roll that way. He get's 5 or 10 at a time, so ....

????

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I think they don't get removed for the full 30 days. The first auto-ban subsides after 3 days, but the 5 warnings remain until 30 days have passed. As I understand it, if you get another during that period you'll have 6, then 7, etc. Whether it drops to 0 or 4 or whatever number after 30 days depends on whether the initial warnings were all given on the same day. If you drop to 4 after 30 days then get one more, you have 5 in the 30 day window again and you get another 3-day vacation. As far as I'm aware, it's a constantly rotating 30 day window.

Read it aggin.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I think you posted that while I was editing. Did I address what you meant there at the end? In the "If you drop to 4 after 30 days..." part?

Either way, definitely agree that the warnings are a little ambiguous and not 100% clearly explained.

Reactions: Ox
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back