What's new
What's new

This is what the laser shop sent me...

Thanks for the replies. I've been pretty straightforward with the shop that this batch of parts is no acceptable at all. The owner asserted that he thought I was trying to save money on some parts and his understanding was that these parts would be acceptable. He has taken strides to improve the quality of the cut. He still seems to think these parts were okay. I sent him the link to this post tp see if it changes his mind.

I'd tell him that the parts are fine as long as he takes that nasty burr off. I'd expect that kind of work from a junkyard cutting torch. Just because it's a uniform burr doesn't make it OK.

We have used a small company in Tulsa that turned out fantastic parts. One of the guys said you could lick the edge of the part because it was so smooth.
Sorry you're having that trouble. Hope it gets sorted out in your favor. Thanks for the warning for everyone else.

Well, if you google Bob Welzel, you see that he ran for the HOR and lost, and that he once sued the IRS, and lost.

Unfortunately, Jared Mecham is the name of a semi-famous youtube personality, so that's all you find when you google that name.

But, just for SEO: you're making it pretty clear that Robert 'Bob' Welzel and Jared Mecham of Haywire Industries are complete crooks that should never be dealt with for lasers, laser cutting, machining, fabrication, etc.

That is a different Jared Mecham. That is the same Bob Welzel. They also go by TigerFox Enterprises, JDAPT, Montana Gun Company, they use Haywire in some other filings, and other names. I suppose its important to operate under different names when you are going to shake your customers down.

So I get an auction notice today for a shop called Haywire Industries. Almost NEW equipment. I think where did they go wrong? Do a google search and I end up here.
First thought is WHO names their shop Haywire anything? But after reading this string of posts- another company that deserves to be OUT of business.

Probably an auction to avoid. Crooks in business are crooks going OUT of business. Think five hundred thousand dollars of machines don't have liens?

Just a few more items in Google and I find a person can buy their entire operation for FIVE million dollars! An eight thousand square foot building on five acres with all the equipment. Only a MILLION dollars down and the owner will carry. I bet they would! Looks like the fastest way to turn a million bucks into nothing.

Realistically five newer machines at auction aren't going to fetch anywhere close to a million.

We have used a small company in Tulsa that turned out fantastic parts. One of the guys said you could lick the edge of the part because it was so smooth.
Sorry you're having that trouble. Hope it gets sorted out in your favor. Thanks for the warning for everyone else.
Port City?

Programmed via Mazatrol

First post here -

So did you ever get the rest of your parts done? Like everyone else says those parts are pretty bad. Its not saving money risking damaging your optics or sensor by running that way. Ive ran or repaired laser machines for not long - 15 years or so but long enough to know how to cut. That's not even what we call dross or slag. That's 100% recast which is like hard face. Totally a pia to remove.

We do laser cutting here. No way that should look like that. It should be a fine "fuzz" at worst. That is a laser with a bad lens, out of alignment or both. Possibly more!

Total perimeter, summed across all parts is about 24,000 inches (excluding holes), just to put it in perspective. There are probably 20,000 holes across the 3000 parts, averaging about 1/4". I made the case that there is NO WAY it should be taking this long unless they are putting work ahead of mine.
I explained that they should be piercing in 3 seconds tippy tops (probably more like 1 second) and running at least(!) 80 IPM (probably more like 120). As such, with rapids and sheet changes, this shouldn't be more than 40 hours on their laser. I told them to get this crap done and with better quality or cancel the order. I set a further condition that if they couldn't finish the entire order by the end of the week they were to freight me what they had at their expense and if they couldn't do that, to cancel the order. The owner replied that it would take TWO MORE MONTHS to finish the order that is already TWENTY FIVE days past the expected completion time. I replied to the owner asking if he had sent me that email by mistake, and if not to cancel the remaining parts immediately. When I saw the email I figured either 1) he's playing some passive aggressive game to screw with me after my complaints or 2) he was reading a couple different emails and crossed up my reply with that of another customer's. I replied gently, giving him the benefit of the doubt..

While I feel the OP's pain in getting screwed,

On the other hand I did have a customer tell me I should be running my machines at xx".min, and it should only take xx hours, and why am I charging $xxxx dollars when I'm running his parts on 2 machines. He supplied the material, which he recieved back about 2 hours after that conversation.

While I feel the OP's pain in getting screwed,

On the other hand I did have a customer tell me I should be running my machines at xx".min, and it should only take xx hours, and why am I charging $xxxx dollars when I'm running his parts on 2 machines. He supplied the material, which he recieved back about 2 hours after that conversation.

Yeah that's a solid way to get a refund and no parts.

There's material handling, part unloading, and time spent dealing with customer bitching. It adds up fast.

Yeah that's a solid way to get a refund and no parts.

There's material handling, part unloading, and time spent dealing with customer bitching. It adds up fast.

And the pleasure of the look on the customers face when you return the material......priceless

Back