What's new
What's new

Thought provoking video regarding automakers worldwide

I had an advanced car radio Pioneer, a very cool sound. how cool she was, I only realized when I was chasing LG's newfangled flat-sound CD format
I still have one of the old in-dash Supertuner units with AM, FM and cassette. I removed it from a vehicle that got totalled shortly after I installed it so I still had the factory radio to put back. One of these days when I get one of those round things (a round Tuit :D) I'll make an enclosure for it and hook up a power supply to use as a compact chairside stereo.

I still have one of the old in-dash Supertuner units with AM, FM and cassette. I removed it from a vehicle that got totalled shortly after I installed it so I still had the factory radio to put back. One of these days when I get one of those round things (a round Tuit :D) I'll make an enclosure for it and hook up a power supply to use as a compact chairside stereo.
yes, I also had a cassette player with the ability to connect a cd changer and unfortunately I sold it

Making aftermarket automotive products for internal combustion platforms is 85% of my business.

I am very aware of where things are going.

Very happy with my 2021 Tesla Y.

I would sell my modified Superduty today and buy a new base model Lightning, but Fords dealership markup bullshit is such a fucked experience. I will not support them until they change.

Making aftermarket automotive products for internal combustion platforms is 85% of my business.

I would sell my modified Superduty today and buy a new base model Lightning, but Fords dealership markup bullshit is such a fucked experience. I will not support them until they change.
how much does tesla lose in the secondary market? is there a demand for it?

The rush towards electrification has given the American auto industry an opportunity to hit the reset button. Right now it's the wild west when it comes to EVs and car companies are reinventing themselves. They'll have to rethink their money-making strategies though, as EV maintenance isn't nearly the same cash cow.

Meanwhile, Japan isn't convinced. They've been all-in on hybrids for quite some time now and aren't ready to take the next big plunge toward full electrification. They still have time to readjust, but the clock is ticking and right now is the time for companies to place their bets.

"They still have time to readjust, but the clock is ticking and right now is the time for companies to place their bets."

Good post.
I think the 'legacy' manufacturers are indeed placing their bets in the form of joint ventures and acquisitions which usually does not hit the normal info channels unless your closely tied to the industry.
It's probable there will be cases where a major manufacturer spins off a segment of their business dealing with, say ICE based product and lets a smaller more efficient (if that's possible) continue in the market.
No doubt there will be elements that in the U.S. are deemed obsolete that will be picked up by others, probably off shore, and continue to manufacture and service existing product for the U.S. and other markets. Gonna be a whole lot of opportunity for many who can deal with risk and are in the right place at the right time.

Tesla's right now actually gain money in the secondary market. I got one in December and its still worth more now than what I paid for it. There is a ridiculous demand for them now The wait times for a new one range from a few months to over a year. They also top the rankings in owner satisfaction.

Today I think the Big 3 are Ford, GM and Tesla. Chrysler doesn't exist anymore in any recognizable fashion as a US company.

A friend worked as an engineer in light truck development at Ford in the last half of the 70s. Lot of time spent on the future Ranger small truck..

Original design criteria included a twin I beam front end. Someone came up with the idea of using the Fox platform front suspension. Advantages included a true IFS, weight savings of 75+ lbs over the twin I beam, and the design gave them a straight shot at the back side center of the spindle for 4x4 models. The weight savings alone should have made it a no brainer, not to mention the fact that most Ford engineers were of the opinion that the twin I beam was one of the biggest pieces of junk Ford ever built.

They prototyped a few with the Fox suspension and would take a couple to shopping malls on weekends along with a couple with twin I beam and spend the day letting Joe Public drive both and give their impressions of how the trucks drove. Feedback was near unanimous that the ones with the Fox suspension drove better.

Everyone figured they had a winner, and no one could come up with a legitimate downside even when encouraged to provide any negative feedback they might think of. So it starts thru all the approval channels required for anything considered a major design change. It sailed right thru every step of the process until it hit the marketing dept. Marketing said they'd been telling the public how great the twin I beam was since 1965, and for that reason alone the Ranger WOULD HAVE a twin I beam front end. End of story. Done.

With decision making processes like that, what could go wrong? Perhaps marketing could have commanded the use of a flathead 4 and mechanical brakes to carry on the bull headedness of old Henry his self.

I bought when Tesla prices were at their lowest in March 2021. I could sell the car today with 30K miles for 60% more than I paid for it.

We bought a Tesla for close to home stuff and daily commuting. We've found the range to be a non-issue for longer distance trips though. We use it for everything we can now. Especially with fuel prices as they are. Any of my other vehicles cost me $200/week to drive. The Tesla costs about $15 a week to drive.

I just wish it had a bed that I could haul 500 lbs in. That would cover 90% of my driving. That's why I want a Lightning. The cybertruck looks aren't for me. I wish Tesla would have made a pickup that blends in with everything else and just plain works good. They would fucking dominate if they chose that path instead of the Cybertruck route.

A friend worked as an engineer in light truck development at Ford in the last half of the 70s. Lot of time spent on the future Ranger small truck..

Original design criteria included a twin I beam front end. Someone came up with the idea of using the Fox platform front suspension. Advantages included a true IFS, weight savings of 75+ lbs over the twin I beam, and the design gave them a straight shot at the back side center of the spindle for 4x4 models. The weight savings alone should have made it a no brainer, not to mention the fact that most Ford engineers were of the opinion that the twin I beam was one of the biggest pieces of junk Ford ever built.

They prototyped a few with the Fox suspension and would take a couple to shopping malls on weekends along with a couple with twin I beam and spend the day letting Joe Public drive both and give their impressions of how the trucks drove. Feedback was near unanimous that the ones with the Fox suspension drove better.

Everyone figured they had a winner, and no one could come up with a legitimate downside even when encouraged to provide any negative feedback they might think of. So it starts thru all the approval channels required for anything considered a major design change. It sailed right thru every step of the process until it hit the marketing dept. Marketing said they'd been telling the public how great the twin I beam was since 1965, and for that reason alone the Ranger WOULD HAVE a twin I beam front end. End of story. Done.

With decision making processes like that, what could go wrong? Perhaps marketing could have commanded the use of a flathead 4 and mechanical brakes to carry on the bull headedness of old Henry his self.

I was raised to believe exactly what you wrote, that twin-I-beam was shit. I bought a 1970 F-100 2wd in my early 20's. I put an EFI 300 six from a 90's Ford in front of the stock T18 4 speed and swapped disc brakes from a 79 F-150 under it. Other than that, it was stock.

I found the twin-I-beam front suspension rode great. It had no tire wear issues. One night, I had to swerve off the road at 45MPH to avoid a rock in the road. I went through a sign, through a few smallish trees, down a ravine about 60 ft elevation in 100 feet, and across a small creek with sides 2' tall. Had to have a tow truck winch me out. I trailered it home because it looked pretty bad. The front bumper was bent up into the grill. Anyway, long story short, the front frame horns were bent up, they straightened out no problem and nothing was hurt in the front suspension whatsoever.

Great truck, great front suspension IMO.

I'm not involved in desert racing, but a friend is, and they still use twin-I-beam front suspensions in lots of builds. They use the 1990's TTB 4x4 knuckles because they have balljoints and adjustable camber.

Ford sold more gas-guzzling F150's pickup trucks last month than in any previous month leading up to the Covid mess. So, it seems electric vehicles aren't all the rage the media and government would lead you to believe.

And Ford makes more ~profit~ on ONE F150 than the Japanese or Koreans make on FIVE sedans. It's why Ford has announced they will no longer be building passenger cars, only light trucks and SUV's.

The free market still drives what businesses do...

And German cars have always drove and rode well, are quiet, and well refined. But with poor long-term reliability statistics, they tend to be the choice of well-to-do preppies who trade or lease every few years.

ToolCat

Ford corporate is thinking of having their dealers require customers to sign an agreement that they will not turn around and sell the Lightning within a year . This is to counter scalping.

As far markups: do not know what steps Ford is taking or has taken to counter excessive markups.

Ford sold more gas-guzzling F150's pickup trucks last month than in any previous month leading up to the Covid mess. So, it seems electric vehicles aren't all the rage the media and government would lead you to believe.

And Ford makes more ~profit~ on ONE F150 than the Japanese or Koreans make on FIVE sedans. It's why Ford has announced they will no longer be building passenger cars, only light trucks and SUV's.

The free market still drives what businesses do...

And German cars have always drove and rode well, are quiet, and well refined. But with poor long-term reliability statistics, they tend to be the choice of well-to-do preppies who trade or lease every few years.

ToolCat
My 2019 f-150 gets a reliable 26-29 Mpg with city
and highway driving.
Maybe you are expecting more ?

The cybertruck looks aren't for me. I wish Tesla would have made a pickup that blends in with everything else and just plain works good. They would fucking dominate if they chose that path instead of the Cybertruck route.
It would also help boost sales number if they existed.

"Ford sold more gas-guzzling F150's pickup trucks last month than in any previous month leading up to the Covid mess..."

Good thing gas prices are going down!

"Ford sold more gas-guzzling F150's pickup trucks last month than in any previous month leading up to the Covid mess..."

Good thing gas prices are going down!
No doubt Ford will celebrate the cash flow since they will be shedding thousands of employees to fund the transition to EVs. The first cut affecting 3,000 is in process.

The days of F150 ICE pickups are numbered which no doubt will cause many in management hoping all their plans do not go awry.

No doubt Ford will celebrate the cash flow since they will be shedding thousands of employees to fund the transition to EVs. The first cut affecting 3,000 is in process.

The days of F150 ICE pickups are numbered which no doubt will cause many in management hoping all their plans do not go awry.

I haven't read a single article yet that says the layoffs are related to the transition to EVs. Correlation is not causation.

Looks like to be actioned tomorrow....

What a great plan...

Czech President Miloš Zeman has blamed “green madness” for the energy crisis and warned that the abolition of cars with internal combustion engines will only prolong the agony.

Zeman said the primary cause of the crisis was not the Ukraine war, but “green fanaticism” that has left European countries dependent on energy sources that cannot meet demand.

“Whether it’s called the Green Deal or whatever, I’m afraid. However, I won’t be here anymore when we find out where the green madness will take us,” said Zeman.

“The abolition of cars with internal combustion engines will lead to the advent of far more demanding electromobility. The biggest consumers of electricity will be electric cars with a short range and a high price,” he added.

The comments were made amidst controversy in the Czech Republic caused by new government regulations which mandate schools, hospitals, and households reduce their temperature by up to six degrees Celsius to save energy.

Owners of care homes for the elderly complained that old people cannot live in a 20°C environment without it posing a threat to their health.

“It is not permissible for the elderly to spend 100 percent of their time in spaces at 20°C and below. It is life-threatening to bathe frail seniors in a room heated to only 20°C when they get cold quickly,” said Daniela Lusková, vice-president of the Association of Social Service Providers.

However, a spokesman for the Ministry of Health insisted that regulations were made in consultation with professional scientific opinion.

{^^^ I called this 6 months ago remember? "The masses will be allowed to have just enough to keep us alive."}

"Bloomberg reported that some Tesla Inc. and Nio Inc. charging stations in Chengdu and Chongqing (both metro areas have a combined +46 million people) had been turned off because of power conservation measures, leaving drivers unable to charge their EVs. "

"Despite the warnings, Prime Minister Boris Johnson continues to insist that Brits should maintain their support for ‘the current thing’ – by prolonging the war in Ukraine.

“We also know that if we’re paying in our energy bills for the evils of Vladimir Putin, the people of Ukraine are paying in their blood,” said Johnso

“And that’s why we know we must stay the course. Because if Putin were to succeed, then no country on Russia’s perimeter would be safe, and… (that) would be a green light for every autocrat in the world that borders could be changed by force,” he adde

Even as many Brits struggle to pay for basic necessities, with food inflation also soaring, Johnson just approved a further £54 million of taxpayer money to be sent to Ukraine to buy new weapons system

Energy bills are set to soar to £6,522 by next April, a level that threatens to push a third of the country into poverty."s.d.n.poverty.

"At least 20 million households — or about 1 in 6 American homes — are behind on their power bills as soaring electricity prices spark what is said to be the worst-ever crisis in late utility payments, according to Bloomberg, citing data from the National Energy Assistance Directors Association (Neada)."

"Responding to Europe’s energy crisis, Spain has controversially banned air conditioning from dropping below 27°C (80.6°F) in the summer.

The new government decree, which applies to a whole host of public buildings as well as shops, hotels and other venues, will also stop heating from being raised above 19°C during the winter."

Last edited:
I haven't read a single article yet that says the layoffs are related to the transition to EVs. Correlation is not causation.
Quite a bit of info out there. There is some really great chatter on some of the insider type Ford blogs. Here one link to mainstream type news:

Ford Motor Co. said it’s cutting 3,000 jobs this week in a move to boost profits as it seeks to fund the $50 billion it plans to spend on electric vehicles.

Of course as Ford leaves the ICE era and becomes a EV vehicle company they will need to replace staff that has a completely different set of skills. Technological change can be rewarding but quite traumatic at the same time. Likely Ford will be handing out buyouts and early retirements to hundreds if not thousands of salary staff.

Last edited:

Back