What's new
What's new

Thought provoking video regarding automakers worldwide

Who remembers the video of the old troubleshhoter guy waking round he Pontiac Fiero factory and asking workers why they let cars go by with bad fit and finish and guys said 'We have to' and old guy said 'Why not push the linestop button to get a super to come along and suggest how to get a better fit?' and worker said 'If we stop the line we get sacked.'

Who remembers the video of the old troubleshhoter guy waking round he Pontiac Fiero factory and asking workers why they let cars go by with bad fit and finish and guys said 'We have to' and old guy said 'Why not push the linestop button to get a super to come along and suggest how to get a better fit?' and worker said 'If we stop the line we get sacked.'
I knew a supervisor at the GM plant in Framingham Mass. and he said "We don't stop the line for anything". They had an indoor area near the final test station where vehicles with issues were parked and corrections made by special workers, including spray painting mismatched panels on the spot with the correct color.

The GMH plant here had a special paint shop .....a lot of the work was rust repairs and fixing dents............they also did 'extra paint" where it was ordered by fleet buyers.

Interesting after the years of GM and Ford saying we cant make cars that dont rust............bring in laws to make them fix 5 year old rust.......and now cars dont rust......its no longer an issue

and now cars dont rust......its no longer an issue

Yup, the Fords and the Toyotas don't rust.

But I see Chevys and Rams every day that have rust around the rear fender wells. It uncommon to see one that doesn't have this problem.

There are many places in the world that have lots of snow and their vehicles don't rust as much (adding the “as much” due to future posts taking this comment way too literally). They don't use salt. There are non corrosive alternatives to getting rid of snow.

Last edited:
There are many places in the world that have lots of snow and their vehicles don't rust. They don't use salt. There are non corrosive alternatives to getting rid of snow.
Please expound on your first hand knowledge of this, the cost's and how good it works whilst driving.

The most interesting way to stop rust is to store your car in an underground salt cavern.........this is no BS,the salt pulls all the water out of the air,Rel Humidity is around 3%..........the same situation applies in the high salt desert in Chile ...old vehicles drive in salt water splashes ,yet the humidity is so low ,steel doesnt rust ,even when caked in salt crystals.

Please expound on your first hand knowledge of this, the cost's and how good it works whilst driving.

Well here in New Zealand in parts of the country that snow enough to have Ice problems on roads they use CMA. Our strict vehicle fitness laws do not allow rusty vehicles.

I’m no expert I’m merely a road user, who is very much aware of our vehicle inspection requirements. I have failed inspection before for a patch of rust the size of a fingernail

Well here in New Zealand in parts of the country that snow enough to have Ice problems on roads they use CMA. Our strict vehicle fitness laws do not allow rusty vehicles.

I’m no expert I’m merely a road user, who is very much aware of our vehicle inspection requirements. I have failed inspection before for a patch of rust the size of a fingernail
I guess your previous statement "There are many places in the world that have lots of snow and their vehicles don't rust" conflicts with "patch of rust the size of a fingernail". Granted that is a pretty tight standard for motor vehicles to meet, but the fact is vehicles rust. Just in New Zealand they either get repaired or sent to the scrap yard.

google search: 'rust cars in new zealand'

Please explain the cost associated with it's usage, the damage it causes to the roads, the wildlife, and how well it works.

Ok you guys are taking my “vehicles don’t rust” comment way too literally than I intended. As for costs I couldn’t say I have no idea

They claim it is environmentally friendly.

I really don’t understand the pushback here. I see Americans often on forums complaining about what road salt does to cars, yet as soon as someone makes a comment about why not use something else instead of salt they defend the use of salt.

It’s like a smoker who complains about their smoking habit but will fight you if you tell them to stop smoking.

Ok you guys are taking my “vehicles don’t rust” comment way too literally than I intended. As for costs I couldn’t say I have no idea

They claim it is environmentally friendly.

I really don’t understand the pushback here. I see Americans often on forums complaining about what road salt does to cars, yet as soon as someone makes a comment about why not use something else instead of salt they defend the use of salt.

It’s like a smoker who complains about their smoking habit but will fight you if you tell them to stop smoking.
So you have NO idea what your pushing, telling US to simply doo it your way.
Easy Peasy.

I will word my comment differently to better interpret my point behind it.

If road salt does so much damage to vehicles and infrastructure, causing high costs to road users and infrastructure maintenance, why is it still being used?

I will word my comment differently to better interpret my point behind it.

If road salt does so much damage to vehicles and infrastructure, causing high costs to road users and infrastructure maintenance, why is it still being used?
Still can't back it up can you ?:
"There are many places in the world that have lots of snow and their vehicles don't rust as much (adding the “as much” due to future posts taking this comment way too literally). They don't use salt. There are non corrosive alternatives to getting rid of snow."

Sometimes the government does good work, in this case they did an in depth study comparing CMA vs Salt. You can read the 170 page report here https://nap.nationalacademies.org/download/11405 .

CMA is 20 times more expensive than salt, and is made from natural gas. It also has higher costs associated with storing and spreading it. So while its possible the total cost will be less when you account for all the damage salt does, the very obvious bill to the tax payer would skyrocket.

Still can't back it up can you ?:
"There are many places in the world that have lots of snow and their vehicles don't rust as much (adding the “as much” due to future posts taking this comment way too literally). They don't use salt. There are non corrosive alternatives to getting rid of snow."

Back up what? CMA is what is used here in New Zealand.

I make these comments because I want to be proven wrong. In fact out of shear curiosity I’ll probably spend my afternoon researching this subject just out of personal interest.

Back