What's new
What's new

Thoughts on Burke-Powermatic Millrite MVN?

Just a Sparky

Hot Rolled
A listing just popped up in my neighborhood for an old Burke-Powermatic (post-aquisition) Millrite MVN. I'm wondering if anyone here has thoughts or experience regarding these machines and whether it might be worth a look/buy to replace my No. 4.

It looks to be about my size and in fairly good shape. There is flaking on all of the ways which looks fresh - though I do not have enough background on these to know if this was a factory feature or merely an underhanded attempt by a previous owner/dealer to make the thing look newer and tighter than it actually is. Dual voltage single phase, one-shot lube, D.R.O. and R-8 spindle. 2-axis pivoting head on dovetail ways. Looks like an independent digital readout on the quill. Best guess is 1976 by the date code on the motor and S/N on the machine. Seller claims it is a 'hobby use machine'. Looks like it's built with a reasonable amount of iron for it's size - no Chinese paperweight 'MSO', nor an impossibly heavy Cincinnati / K&T, etc. No power feeds though, which is the only bummer.

245273782_4282144915229651_7666948442334117513_n.png

256254205_4784335291626946_4207338076431645719_n.jpg

Is this machine worth investigating? E.g. do the MVNs have a decent reputation? Any red flags on this particular one I am not seeing?

Thanks.

EDIT: Wasn't quite sure where to put this one since this post is not really a buy/sell offer and the machine itself is believed to be 50 years old - with modern accoutrements.

Go find a mill.

Are the pictures not loading on your end or something, bud? :skep:

Definitely a mill, and one with much more table space & work envelope than my #4, which is my motive for trying to get away from it. I'm not looking to replace my small mill with another small mill. Roughly a 12x6x6" envelope or larger is my minimum target for sanity's sake. My #4 will not do anywhere near that. So what if I have to take two .500 passes with a 3/4" endmill in R-8 instead of going full DOC with a horizontal cutter on arbor - or do the same in B&S 9?

Even if the rigidity is not as high as a keyway mill (that's really what a #4 is), I stand to gain far more in terms of versatility with something like this. Being able to mount full-sized screw vises & readily obtainable off-the-shelf rotary/indexing equipment, having enough envelope to actually do meaningful vertical milling, easier locates with a DRO...

In a home shop, versatility trumps rigidity to a certain extent. A boat anchor is extremely rigid... but not terrifically useful if you don't intend to go sailing on a regular basis. Same goes for keyway mills.

The MVM weighs around 1200lbs from what I can gather.

I grew up on an R-8 mill of similar displacement. That one was a Chinese MSO with Chinglish scrawl all over it - and it was plenty capable for building small engines and light production work. Still is, in fact - but it's not for sale and it's a pain in the ass to have to drive half an hour and borrow the use of it when it's almost always tooled up for something else and has to be returned 'as found' once I'm done with it.

Ignore the naysayer. If it fits your situation it is a fine machine. I don''t see any pictures, but sounds like it comes w/ some equipment/tooling. I had a 1977 MVN (green Powermatic) w/ an R8 spindle and an 8 X 32 (IIRC) table that spent most of its life in a school setting. The ways are actually ground, rather than scrapped in. But they do come standard w/ factory flaking to aid oil retention on the ways. So that is a std feature of that era mill.

It did everything I needed it to do. I work mostly on optical elements, bicycle, and motorcycle stuff in my shop. It was easy to use, is about 1/2 the size of a Bridgeport. Not really an industrial machine but if it fits your situation it is a good choice. I used a 5" vise on it. Not sure you could get a 6" vise on it.

Millrites are a well built machine that perform fine within their capacity. Better build quality and more rigid than a mill-drill for sure. I've always thought they were a good machine for anyone without the resources/space for a J head Bridgeport.

I'd want to know the sort of work you do, and what your machine requirements are, before saying whether one is a good fit for you personally. Apparently Bill is a mind reader and has that figured out already.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Millrites are a well built machine that perform fine within their capacity. Better build quality and more rigid than a mill-drill for sure. I've always thought they were a good machine for anyone without the resources/space for a J head Bridgeport.

I'd want to know the sort of work you do, and what your machine requirements are, before saying whether one is a good fit for you personally. Apparently Bill is a mind reader and has that figured out already.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Agree, these are good machines, very capable for the size!

These are sought after by the home shop guys that don’t have room for a Bridgeport!
The condition looks good, single phase, R8 collet and readouts make it even better!

If the asking price is reasonable, you can always get your money back?

Good luck……..

Kevin

Can someone with one of these machines tell me the height with the head rotated 90 degrees?
Reason being I am in the process of acquiring one from the west coast and trying to determine the crate size required. Thanks

It'll be well under 6ft with the head turned sideways. Probably just over 5'. I don't have one anymore so I can't measure it to be sure.

I don't have mine anymore either to give you an exact measurement either but I have a picture of mine from a long time ago.
From the picture it would appear that the top of the ram is an inch or tow lower that the top of the Kira Drill press that is still in the same place.
I measured it as straight as I could with the stand in the way making the Millrite between 55 and 60 inches tall if the head were tilted 90 degrees to the right as long as there is no quill lock sticking up on the far side or parts of the motor bracket sticking out.
Probably safer to hold out for an actual measurement than rely on this but it should be close.
You may need to remove the quill down feed handwheel to allow blocking and strapping between the milling head and the table for shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_2808.JPG
    IMG_2808.JPG
    590.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2809.JPG
    IMG_2809.JPG
    667.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Image (809).jpg
    Image (809).jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 16
I don't have mine anymore either to give you an exact measurement either but I have a picture of mine from a long time ago.
From the picture it would appear that the top of the ram is an inch or tow lower that the top of the Kira Drill press that is still in the same place.
I measured it as straight as I could with the stand in the way making the Millrite between 55 and 60 inches tall if the head were tilted 90 degrees to the right as long as there is no quill lock sticking up on the far side or parts of the motor bracket sticking out.
Probably safer to hold out for an actual measurement than rely on this but it should be close.
You may need to remove the quill down feed handwheel to allow blocking and strapping between the milling head and the table for shipping.
Jim, thank you so much for going to the trouble, I genuinely appreciate it! I can work with those numbers and make an educated guess from here, Thanks!

There s a io group for those machines
animal

Back