What's new
What's new

Thread cutting on a 10EE

mwill135

Aluminum
I have a very basic (stupid) question. I am not a 10EE owner (yet). Do 10EE’s utilize thread dials or is there a built in timing mechanism within the machine for threading?

I’ve looked online and cannot seem to find one, what do they look like - anyone have a pic?

10EEs are built so that you don't need to close and open the half-nuts on each threading pass. The cross-slide has a threading stop feature that allows the tool to be accurately moved in and out at the ends of a threading pass. It operates as follows: the cross slide is brought against the inner threading stop; in feed adjusted; the threading pass made as normal; the spindle is then run in reverse, moving the carriage back to the start of the thread to set up for another pass; all with the half-nuts closed. For subsequent passes, the cross slide is fed back in to the threading stop, the tool advanced via the compound (or cross slide in the case of square-dial 10EEs) and the next pass started. There's no need to open the half-nuts at any point, even for multiple parts.

Models with Electric Lead Screw Reverse (ELSR) have adjustable stops that can automatically stop the spindle at each end of a threading pass. The operator only needs to control the spindle direction and move the tool in and out. Some ELSR models even have a feature called Variable Reverse Speed Control (VRSC) that allows the return pass to happen at higher speed, to save time.

Cal, you might want to explain how to thread up to a shoulder using that method (on a MG machine without ELSR). On the Sundstrand machine you reverse the spindle direction while simultaneously backing off the cross feed. The hydraulics clatter a bit. But does that work on an MG?

Cal, you might want to explain how to thread up to a shoulder using that method (on a MG machine without ELSR). On the Sundstrand machine you reverse the spindle direction while simultaneously backing off the cross feed. The hydraulics clatter a bit. But does that work on an MG?
Yes, same on the MG without ELSR. I still haven't ever disengaged the half nuts/used the thread dials for threading. Coupled with the cross feed stop, it is one of the reasons I love the 10EEs.
I personally like threading using the standard spindle fwd/rev lever better than ELSR, but I bet that is because I'm so used to the standard one.

How long does it take an MG machine to reverse direction? I used to have a modular machine and it took about 2 seconds to brake the spindle down to 0 RPM from 3000 RPM, but I haven't seen any mention of how long it takes on an MG.

A lot of the threading I do is a multiple of 8 so no need to use the thread dial, fine thread limited number of passes so thread stop is also a feature rarely used. ELSR is a pita to setup and unless doing multiples just a waste of time.
Bob

Back