What's new
What's new

Tie down points on Hardinge CHNC2?

DMSentra

Cast Iron
Picking a chnc up tomorrow and am hoping someone can fill me in with securing it for transport? Are the ports in the casting I can tie to/through? What dia and pitch are the leveling screws? Considering bolting it down to 4x6's for added stability through the leveling screw holes.

If it is anything like an HXL or AHC one could pull the chip drawer out and the plate that covers the opposite side and run some healthy straps through the opening.
The chip drawer on the AHC and probably on the HXL were set up so they could be accessed from either the front or back with cover bolted on the opposite side. That part of the cabinet is very stout.

Use blocking around the base and straps over the top. The enclosure on that should be really sturdy.
You nailed it. 2 2" straps through the window and rear access and 2 1-1/2" straps over the top, set on 2x6's to get away from steel to steel contact slickness. Worked like a champ! 400 miles one way.
The fella had it advertised as a remnant from a bankruptcy auction with no access to 3ph on the property to test it. Stored outdoors for "a couple months" on the truly dry side of the state under a truckers style tarp. He had a forklift to load it and asked $2k.
Within 4 texts he said it needed to get indoors and used, $1000.
With some more discussion about things I asked if he could use a almost new Hobart Handler 190 that I had quit using and after checking the info on that he agreed to $500 plus the welder.
I talked with my repair tech and he said 4 of his customers had the same model and were loving the accuracy, and that the issues with the turret and Z axis were simple things when they occur.
How could I say no? 1990 HARDINGE CHNC II .jpg

Did he a have a 5000 lb forklift or was it bigger? I think those weigh right about 5k lbs. I will pick up one just like that in the morning on a trailer very much like yours. Plan is to set it off the back of the trailer with the far end on cribbing and roll it onto the trailer. Pallet jack under the crib stack.
No place local had a drop deck trailer, they used to but sold them off for some reason...

Did he a have a 5000 lb forklift or was it bigger? I think those weigh right about 5k lbs. I will pick up one just like that in the morning on a trailer very much like yours. Plan is to set it off the back of the trailer with the far end on cribbing and roll it onto the trailer. Pallet jack under the crib stack.
No place local had a drop deck trailer, they used to but sold them off for some reason...
His lift was one of the bigger ag tire, offroad deals. Probably double the needed capacity. With his extended forks the front of the load was near the front of the fenders so we needed to move it forward better than a foot. My trailer is open down the center with ribs taller than 2x6's lining that opening. Eventually, after moving it to the pass. side we pushed it forward, lifted the rear, set one 2x6 across forward of balance point, lowered it, put another 2x6 across the front, lifted again and put another 2x6 across the rear. The ribs bite into the 2x6 a bit for grip and keep the casting off them.

Back