What's new
What's new

TIG Foot Pedal Wiring

magno_grail

Hot Rolled
I have an ADC200 and a foot pedal, although I do not remember if I bought it separately. It does not work with the welder. Any setting puts out enough heat to melt the tungsten. I found a manual on line which has a wiring diagram for the pedal. However, I cannot find any other diagram similar to it. It has a 3K resistor in parallel with the 10K potentiometer. This is what the pedal has also. Doing this makes the resistance between the wiper and one end change in a horseshoe like manner from zero to a peak about 3.6K at midrange to 2.3K at full pedal (doing the parallel resistance maths). Here is the schematic from the manual:
Manual Book-ADC200.pdf.png
Has anyone seen a pedal wired this way?
The pedal does not have the second potentiometer. I bought one from China that does but it is more toy than serious pedal so back to the one that I have.
I believe all I need is the R1 potentiometer and a switch (which the pedal has) to turn the welder on. I can set the maximum current on the welder. I have to check the welder internal wiring to see where the pedal connects.
Thanks for any help.

It would help a ton to know what power source your attempting to control with this remote pedal. Generally there is a simple switch that controls the welding power sources control contactor, and a 2 or 3 wire current control wiper resistor.
On most power sources the remote pedal provides 0 to maximum of whatever the power sources current setting is. Example if the power source is rated at 250 amperes but the current control is set at 100 amperes output then your remote pedal control will provide 0 to 100 amp control.

As I mentioned, an ADC200 inverter welder. The manual shows two potentiometers, one controlled by the pedal, the other a knob to set the maximum current. Since the good pedal that i have only has the one foot controlled potentiometer, I can set the maximum current by the knob on the face of the welder.
My question was the pedal wiring with a resistor across the pedal potentiometer. It does not make sense as the resistance is no longer continually increasing as the pedal is depressed.
The resistor across the maximum current potentiometer makes it non-linear but at least still increasing with setting.

Sorry I have very limited experience with the China ADC, I have never seen them used in industrial applications, and from what I can tell the remote foot pedal controls for these are basically crap, the linear control is somewhat sloppy. That said
there appears to be a replacement remote foot control at Everlast welders.
[email protected]

Back