What's new
What's new

Tinkering makes a comeback - WSJ article

macona, do you know anything about TechShop in Durham, NC ? I'll be in that area the day after Thanksgiving and wondering if I could pop in the place for a look see ? (at least I will be in that area assuming my son's girlfriend has no interest in shooting at clay pigeons ;) )

The owners name of that location is Scott Saxon. I have never talked to him. You might talk to Mebfab, he has spoken to Scott in the past. :rolleyes5:

They have a couple decent pieces of equipment, the Moog not being one of them! Their stuff is in general a lot lighter duty than ours.

They also went the route if using an office building like the one in cali. Rooms for everything. I dont know how anyone keeps an eye on people that way.

macona, do you know anything about TechShop in Durham, NC ? I'll be in that area the day after Thanksgiving and wondering if I could pop in the place for a look see ? (at least I will be in that area assuming my son's girlfriend has no interest in shooting at clay pigeons ;) )

http://techshopdurham.com/
Tours Given Upon Request
Just Stop By
We're open daily
10 AM - 10 PM
Except Thursdays
Noon - Midnight

TechShop Address:
4022 Stirrup Creek Dr.
Suite #315
Durham, NC 27703

TechShop Phone: (919) 806-5432
Scott's Cell Phone (336) 460-7373
Email: [email protected]

Our hours are currently 10am-10pm, Monday - Wednesday & Friday - Sunday.
Thursday is our late day when we are open from 12pm - 12am.
As our membership grows, we will extend our hours.
Eventually we will be open 24/7.

Last edited:
Just read this thread and my thoughts start with "IT'S ABOUT TIME!" A century and a half or more ago Mark Twain said that you can't make an economy by taking in each other's laundry, and it's even truer today. To use a great old ad line, there comes a time when 'the rubber meets the road" and you have to turn your bright idea into something usable. I am thrilled to hear that young people are seeing this as part of their futures.

You can laugh at these kids and their equipment if you want, but this is the way all new products have started. Some one said the semiconductor manufacturing industry has always been big, but I once saw a picture of the first IC or transistor prototype, and it looked like a glob of cat snot on a stick with some wires sticking out. From this came the laptop I'm posting from.

In my study of guns, I learned that the wonderful designs of John Browning were far from finished products. When Winchester bought Brownings' designs, they typically kept the basic improvements and redesigned the rest to their manufacturing and financial needs.

I keep hearing that most of the new jobs being created are in small businesses. These kids 'playing' in engineering are the ones that will create these businesses in the future. If they do their prototyping with 'toy' machines, more power to them. And if they do it with 'junk' machines from H____r F_____t, who are we to tell them that they are doing it wrong unless they buy big, powerful iron. These are prototypes guys, proof of concept designs that aren't meant as production parts But their great grandchildren may be megabuck products and processes that you and your children will get paid to make.

One question, and I will cease ranting. I saw some passing reference in this thread to being cut off if you mention Asian 'junk' machines. Keeping in mind that questions should be directed to the appropriate forum, why would this happen? I just reread the entire faq for this site, and it doesn't mention word one about some machines being taboo. Could someone please enlighten me?

Thanks.

Jim (just a guy who likes to build stuff)

Back