What's new
What's new

Tips/Advice on Used Lower Priced Laser Cutter?

Econdron

Hot Rolled
I know "laser" and "lower priced" don't go together, but I wanted to get some opinions on purchasing an older, used laser cutter. A lower end CNC plasma cutter works just fine for my needs, I don't NEED the tolerances or benefits of a laser cutter, but it would save a lot of time with the cleaner cuts, and there are some other projects we could do if we had the tighter tolerances from our own laser cutter. Basically I just need something that can cut up to 3/8" thick steel (1/2" thick would be nice), and a 5' x 10' table.

Are there any recommendations for brand name, specific model, etc that I should look for?
I've seen some Amada's, Mitsubishi's, and Cincinnati laser cutters that are 3,000-4,000 watts and built around 2005 in the $30K-$45K range. Would these be suitable options, and is that price range what I should expect? $45K would be pushing what I'm willing to spend.

I'm just wondering if I should scrap this idea entirely until I have a bigger budget. Is an older machine just a bunch of problems? I don't know much about laser cutters.

Older CO2 lasers will eat you alive in maintenance costs. After you buy an one of the cheap used up machines it will cost you $40K just to get it set up and running then comes the shock of the power bill and specialty gas. They're cheap because they are for the most part obsolete in the new landscape of high power fiber lasers.

You need to run a used CO2 laser continuously to make up for the setup and maintenance costs. At $45k you are better off with plasma.
The power and gas consumption is absurd, and the constant, unique breakdowns (you cannot get ahead of everything with preventative maintenance, though that is required) are extremely costly. If you can't spend a lot of time on constant, in depth repairs don't even consider it.

As an example, our $130k used 4kw HK laser required over 450 amps of three phase run to it, blew an IGBT board during commissioning, had corrupt software that they couldn't get the correct software version for for weeks because it was old, had siemens licensing issues, had random file transfer issues, required valve and gasket replacement, constantly needs to be recentered and have focus adjusted, blew a 24V power supply that tripped a 300 amp breaker, requires special purge air and laser gas, and a ton of chiller maintenance. The various cables and connectors are going bad, the HMI crashes, the pallet changer crashes and derails in all sorts of unique ways, the height sensor fails, the lenses can crack and take 12 hours of two people to clean the resulting toxic cheetoh dust in the beamline, the crack sensor is broken, parts aren't available, and the PLC cards are failing.

As an example, our $130k used 4kw HK laser required over 450 amps of three phase run to it, blew an IGBT board during commissioning, had corrupt software that they couldn't get the correct software version for for weeks because it was old, had siemens licensing issues, had random file transfer issues, required valve and gasket replacement, constantly needs to be recentered and have focus adjusted, blew a 24V power supply that tripped a 300 amp breaker, requires special purge air and laser gas, and a ton of chiller maintenance. The various cables and connectors are going bad, the HMI crashes, the pallet changer crashes and derails in all sorts of unique ways, the height sensor fails, the lenses can crack and take 12 hours of two people to clean the resulting toxic cheetoh dust in the beamline, the crack sensor is broken, parts aren't available, and the PLC cards are failing.
That sounds like a giant bag of awesomeness. I suspected as much, recently purchased a new fiber laser for engraving which has worked out well. I was also considering a used cutting laser. Thank you for posting!!!!

Been down that road, got the t-shirt. Do not buy a used big boy CO2 laser.

How much does it cost to farm your parts out to a laser cutter? They have the million dollar machines. They know how to run them. You're talking about spending $100k to get up and running with an antique/obsolete 20 year old laser. How much laser cutting can you buy with that same money?

Not that I go to many equipment sales, that said unless some one is going out of business and has a late unit most all others are usually crap, there's generally more one then one reason they shoved outside. Unless it's a major name brand that's still SUPPORTED for parts and electronics then run don't walk away.
This whole I can retrofit and rebuild thing is greatly over rated.

Back