What's new
What's new

Tips in general, little discussion , just the tips,

I am needing to make a face pin wrench. Simple two pins in a line with short arbor shaft in between. Problem is the holes are more then 5/16 and just less then 3/8. Not metric.
Tip I can drill them out to 3/8 so my existing wrench will work.
Bill D

I just use some fine thread allen head bolts for pins by turning the ends down to size. Screwed into some scrap flat stock for a handle.
Exactly my plan but I can only find stainless bolts locally. So quicker and easier to drill out the holes on a weekend job then try to turn down unknown china stainless hardware. To turn down I would probably have to make bolt holder setup for the lathe. I do have a nice design in my head . Could even use interchangable various thread size bolt holders into one collet with a backstop strap
Bill D

Exactly my plan but I can only find stainless bolts locally. So quicker and easier to drill out the holes on a weekend job then try to turn down unknown china stainless hardware. To turn down I would probably have to make bolt holder setup for the lathe. I do have a nice design in my head . Could even use interchangable various thread size bolt holders into one collet with a backstop strap
Bill D
Bill, I'm kind of spoiled when it comes to standard hardware, our shop has just about every kind of std & metric fastener and air & hydraulic fittings. Don't know what i'll do when I retire!
Also use dowell pins pressed into shop made sockets to reach into some things.

Wera Joker spanners for backnuts in hard to reach places.
Every second twelfth goes through, the others hold the nut or bolt.
There is a ratcheting ring on the other end.
werajoker.jpg

Don't let the, "We need a gasket cutting machine" excuse or the "It's too difficult to use the hand trepanning tool" excuse, get in the way of preventing guys from installing new gaskets all because they wanted to buy a fancy gasket cutter. If you have a lathe, you have a trepanning tool, therefore gasket cutting on a lathe. At least now I don't have to hear the gasket cutting excuses anymore.

Need to invert the threading tool to cut upside down from the back of the lathe. Just flip it over and place a tool shank or shim pack of the same thickness under it to shim it up. That should put it right on center.
Bill D

Chamfering the back side of your hex parts is super quick by just clamping up a socket in your Bridgeport vise and using a multi-flute chamfer tool.

No need to clamp the part, and it will find C/L on it's own.

View attachment 395999

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
and if the part drops into the socket, put a small spring in there to pop it back up/out when done.

and if the part drops into the socket, put a small spring in there to pop it back up/out when done.
When starting bolts with a socket and similar I just shove some paper towel in the socket. Much easier to find the right size then to find a spring and no eye danger if it jumps out.
BilL D

A vise grip pliers is very useful when a controlled grip or crimp is wanted.
Clamping delecate or soft parts etc.

A press operator was" helping "me pull the blanket washing unit out of his press. It is held in by a 2 bolt bearing cap on either side. After I got mine out he was struggling with the inner bolt and snapped off a ball end Allen wrench. What should be a 2 hr job is now an all day sucker!
The burr in the bolt head stops the loose ball end from being pulled out with a magnet. I have a R/A aircraft drill that will fit in but no carbide bits for it. Can't see it because it is inside underneath some rollers and is recessed in a counterbore.
I have done this before. found a 12pt socket I think 7/16 that wont fit the od of the bolt head. First turn the od to fit the counter bore,face the socket so the 12 pts are sharp and bore it to be about .020" smaller. You can't just pound it on because it might split but by tapping and wobbling it I "broached" it on . All the bolts on the presses are Loctited which adds to the mess. Said a prayer and slowly turned it out. Then instructed the operator to never torque bolts in or out with a ball end. Not the first time this has happened but is the worst as far as access is concerned.

I needed some 5/8 axle shaft for a simple cart project. Hoe Despot maxes out at 1/2. So I bought a 5/8 copper plated ground rod. eight feet cost about what 3' of 100% steel would have cost. Plating is surprisingly thick so not as much iron as normal. Should be fine for my use. I bet welding could be an issue.
BilL D

Applying assembly lubricant often seems to create a tug-of-war between cleanliness and time, either constant opening and closing the lubricant container or risking contamination by leaving the container open.

The best way I've found to speed up the lubing process while maintaining cleanliness is to put the oil-or-soft-grease lubricant into a pump-top jar that, in its first life, contained hand / foot cream.

I keep my jar of assembly lube in a clean plastic bag when I'm not doing assembly work.

Last edited:
My lathe uses jacking bolts at each corner. Too tall, inside a pocket, to use a socket so a ratcheting box wrench is needed. I should have removed the bolts and soldered or welded a washer under the head. They are metric so I was not going to find a flange head bolt to fit. The washer would never be loaded since the bolt head floats above the mount. This avoids having to buy a special joker wrench for one job.
That way the wrench can not fall down off the head requiring one to keep it up and down and turn it all at once. Probably most useful for the rear bolts.
BilLD

My lathe uses jacking bolts at each corner. Too tall, inside a pocket, to use a socket so a ratcheting box wrench is needed. I should have removed the bolts and soldered or welded a washer under the head. They are metric so I was not going to find a flange head bolt to fit. The washer would never be loaded since the bolt head floats above the mount. This avoids having to buy a special joker wrench for one job.
That way the wrench can not fall down off the head requiring one to keep it up and down and turn it all at once. Probably most useful for the rear bolts.
BilLD
Whenever I run into that I keep thinking that I'll make a clip on stop to clip on the shank and have a tab to fit over the open end. Haven't yet but I run into that quite often especially when someone puts a bolt that is 2-3 longer than necessary and is hidden.

AS
Whenever I run into that I keep thinking that I'll make a clip on stop to clip on the shank and have a tab to fit over the open end. Haven't yet but I run into that quite often especially when someone puts a bolt that is 2-3 longer than necessary and is hidden.
I understand them Wera joker wrenches work that way.
Bill D

AS

I understand them Wera joker wrenches work that way.
Bill D

They do. I ordered a set when someone posted them in this thread.

Back