What's new
What's new

Tips on Moving a Benchtop CMM

Chips Everywhere

Cast Iron
I recently got a hold of a B&S Micro-Val CMM in a trade, its needs new tubing, but functioned otherwise.

I don't have much if anything invested in it, but I would prefer not to damage it in transportation. Its foot print is approximately 2x3' and its small enough that I can move it myself. I understand that it would be best to hire a pro to move it, but I would like to move it myself and put the money saved during the move towards calibration and service.

Any tips on moving a machine like this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I recently got a hold of a B&S Micro-Val CMM in a trade, its needs new tubing, but functioned otherwise.

I don't have much if anything invested in it, but I would prefer not to damage it in transportation. Its foot print is approximately 2x3' and its small enough that I can move it myself. I understand that it would be best to hire a pro to move it, but I would like to move it myself and put the money saved during the move towards calibration and service.

Any tips on moving a machine like this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have one similar to what you have. I moved it a few years back, and from I can remember I just locked each axis at their max travel. Pretty sure I wrapped it in bubble wrap and some saran wrap to help keep it from moving. Moved it very carefully and everything worked out. Def consider having a tech come and check it over and calibrate if you can. Good luck!

Move the machine and table separately.
Normally the surface plate sits on three balls and can be lifted off. On the small machines this is more than half the weight of the machine.
They came with sheet metal lifting brackets, if these are gone you might have to improvise something.

Looks like an air bearing system. You don't want the bearings rubbing against the granite during shipping, so If you can get something between them (sheet of paper?) before you strap everything in place. Lots of long leverage on that unit, so strapping all moving parts would be a very good idea. Maybe something between the scale and sensor too.

I reached out to B&S and the two techs I spoke to had no clue what machine it was, even with the serial number provided. My guess it’s a vintage model to them.

I’m guessing that I shouldn’t try disassembling it?

Looks like an air bearing system. You don't want the bearings rubbing against the granite during shipping, so If you can get something between them (sheet of paper?) before you strap everything in place. Lots of long leverage on that unit, so strapping all moving parts would be a very good idea. Maybe something between the scale and sensor too.

I am not familiar with the construction of a cmm, other than they have a granite work surface. If understood you correctly, if I place paper under the air bearing, then I can wrap a strap around the bridge? As long as I don’t strain another axis in the process? Please excuse my ignorance in this subject.

Ye, that is the general idea.
I was looking at this picture; Brown & Sharpe Microval 343 Manual CMM - CMM Technology

Installing braces to form a triangle for the bridge and that very tall tower as well as strapping, would be good. The granite might be removable, if it is not used as a bearing surface. If any rail is not air bearing and uses roller bearings, the load needs to be removed from the roller bearings before shipping or the bearings or roller surfaces will get impact damage.

Ye, that is the general idea.
I was looking at this picture; Brown & Sharpe Microval 343 Manual CMM - CMM Technology

Installing braces to form a triangle for the bridge and that very tall tower as well as strapping, would be good. The granite might be removable, if it is not used as a bearing surface. If any rail is not air bearing and uses roller bearings, the load needs to be removed from the roller bearings before shipping or the bearings or roller surfaces will get impact damage.

That looks to be the machine that I got.

Are wood braces acceptable? I was planning on renting a Uhual and bringing some 2x4, saw, straps and screw gun to make the brace on site.

The table should lift off with 2 people, set in on a pallet.
2 people can easily lift the CMM frame (it is aluminum) the axis will be locked without air, so no need to secure.
I would strap the base casting directly to a pallet avoiding the air bearing tracks and scales, any bracing to the bridge could bump the alignment and should be avoided.

The table should lift off with 2 people, set in on a pallet.
2 people can easily lift the CMM frame (it is aluminum) the axis will be locked without air, so no need to secure.
I would strap the base casting directly to a pallet avoiding the air bearing tracks and scales, any bracing to the bridge could bump the alignment and should be avoided.

Thanks for the input. I’ll take pictures of the move.

Yup- the surface plate just its on a kinematic mount- lifts right off. If the air is still functioning, move the gantry to the left and the z down after you remove the granite. If no air, leave everything where it is and stabilize with straps and blocks.
Don't force the slides with no air applied. The rails are simply anodized aluminum and you don't want to scratch them.

Thank you everyone for the tips. I picked up the CMM yesterday and I am pretty sure I broke every "how to move a cmm" rule. I didn't have any air going to the machine, so I couldn't place paper under the air bearings, so it got moved as is. I'll get a tech in to service it and to tell me if I have a paper weight or a good machine. I checked all the axis before and after the move. Looks like nothing moved. The adjusters screws for the air bearings can be seen in the last picture. Thought about loosening them to put paper under them, but decided against it.

Spoke to the original owner, turns out he bought it new and hardly got much use.

Sorry for the sideways pics, tried multiple times to get them upright. Not sure why they rotate when I upload them. I hope these pics help someone if they end up needing to move a similar machine. 2 people are required to move this, can be done with one, but its a bit of an awkward machine to handle.

IMG_8923.jpgIMG_8926.jpgIMG_8927.jpgIMG_8928.jpg

Back