What's new
What's new

Tips or Tricks to get a gear off a shaft

That 52 pickup on a modern driveline Explorer chassis would be absolutely gold!

The only snag is that it's full-time AWD. I don't know how I feel about that. I mean, GREAT traction, but shitty burnouts and not-as-decent gas millage (which matters since gas cost like $5 a gallon...f'n BRANDON! :D) Maybe swap out the T-case for something else and add a locker front diff and locking hubs. I'd probably run Holley EFI, or maybe something else that's similar (OBVIOUSLY keeping a Ford motor)

By the way, the fact that you're not putting a Mopar or GM product in your Ford earned my respect LOL

Tired of seeing LS engines swapped into EVERYTHING. They work, but I'd rather a Ford with a Ford, Mopar with a Mopar, etc... That's just me, though.

Hello,

I’m dealing with the exact same scenario on the exact same transmission as 66Promod. I’m stuck in the same spot (broken teeth off of 5th gear on my countershaft). I also have a 12 ton shop press and according to the,factory service manual, if can take up to 18,000 lbs of pressure to press the gear off of the shaft. Mine did press off or move about 1/8” off of the shaft, but then stopped moving.

I reached out to 66Promod via PMs, but it doesn’t look like he’s been on here since April. Is there anyone here that knows him and can please ask him to log in and take a look at his PMs? I’d really like to know how he got out of this situation, as well as converse with him about some other car related stuff.

Thank you,

Adrian

Send your 12 ton press over to child minding as an adventure toy,and get a decent press .....60ton is good........my self build 60 tonner will push all the gears off a Roadranger countershaft in one go...........even move the gears in a Ford suitcase box........waste of time though,as these gears are a shrink fit and ruin the shaft coming off.

Back