What's new
What's new

Titan is peddling Syil?

Every HS student in my class. All 4 of them have a printer. Additional, 4 or 6 older students have a 3D printer. About 10 at-home printers in a class of 24. Check Mastercam prices please and report back. My Jr. Hi granddaughter has jewelry 3d printed by her friend. A Jr. Hi girl knows about manufacturing! Is italics less painful! :-)
You can get into a basic 3 axis Mastercam seat for about $5k; design only is even cheaper. ~$24k will get you five axis milling with a post processor.

You can get into a basic 3 axis Mastercam seat for about $5k; design only is even cheaper. ~$24k will get you five axis milling with a post processor.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hol up! I paid $16K in 2004 and have been told $8K-ish is what it will cost to get me back on maintenance. That's 3-axis, no lathe, no multi-axis, no Art package. You're saying it's cheaper now? Or is that online licensing and $4K/year forever?

Mhajicek, about 2010 we were paying around $15k for Mastercam with everything. Geeze, picky, picky. My point was Fusion is FREE. What parent is going to buy their kid a Mastercam seat. Now days the kids download Fusion in their bedroom and go to work. Mom and Dad don't have a clue!

PS: Maybe Mastercam prices have dropped drastically in the last few years. I wonder what has caused that! :-)

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hol up! I paid $16K in 2004 and have been told $8K-ish is what it will cost to get me back on maintenance. That's 3-axis, no lathe, no multi-axis, no Art package. You're saying it's cheaper now? Or is that online licensing and $4K/year forever?
They have a number of different license tiers. I think they also have subscription options now, but I don't know the pricing.

Mhajicek, about 2010 we were paying around $15k for Mastercam with everything. Geeze, picky, picky. My point was Fusion is FREE. What parent is going to buy their kid a Mastercam seat. Now days the kids download Fusion in their bedroom and go to work. Mom and Dad don't have a clue!

PS: Maybe Mastercam prices have dropped drastically in the last few years. I wonder what has caused that! :-)
No, Mastercam prices haven't dropped, but they have a number of different tiers. Your point about Fusion stands, and there are a number of other free or very cheap CAD softwares suitable for designing parts for 3D printing. AIUI you can get a free or very cheap seat of Solidworks for students or hobbyists too.

In 2019 I bought a full version of Solidworks for a student price of $89. Another company kinda forced that pricing strategy. :-) Unfortunately, Covid killed that class and now a few years later it's an F-360 class.

Correction, it was Bill Selway and Keith Granno that gave Titan his start. Haas would not finance him so Bill did... personally.
Had to look those names up. Keith was the one I talked to at the show and mentioned the 9 second toolchange number on the Syil. He had said he'd known Titan for 30 years and came over the in Texas move. Funny the cutie in the new videos is his daughter.

Had to look those names up. Keith was the one I talked to at the show and mentioned the 9 second toolchange number on the Syil. He had said he'd known Titan for 30 years and came over the in Texas move. Funny the cutie in the new videos is his daughter.
The machine tool business is DEFINITELY a family endeavor in a LOT of cases. In my personal case, my dad serviced CNC machines, I support them, and my 2nd son works in the business. The Selway name is legendary in the industry. SO many 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation people in the industry. Bill Selway passed away a few years ago. Keith Granno and his daughter are continuing the legacy of multigenerations in it.

Nah, you do your own research. Anyone with half a brain cell knows that it doesn't cost $20k to get into Mastercam.
There are tiers.
Now... go check the prices and report back.
Why would I repeat what you reported in post #341. Anybody with half a brain cell remembers their own post!

I was a beta tester for fusion, in 2013 it was still called Inventor Fusion, basically it was inventor lite and had no cam functionality at all at that point.
And in 2007 fusion was a completely different product. It was integrated into inventor as a free form surface modeler. You could switch between surface and solid mode back and forth with a click of a button. It was awesome if you had the application for it. No CAM at that time, but may have been the best Invetor made. Been a downhill slide since then. Autodesk Alias was also a a great product, production quality surface modeler( obviously bought from someone else). Interface/workforce completely different. They also killed AD Showcase from the PDM suite of products which really sucks for me. So easy to create animated assemblies without having to let it render overnight. Inventor "presentation" is a major downgrade. Crappy render quality and slow as molasses in January.

#341 wasn't my post, idiot. Anyone with half a brain cell can see that.
Yep, it was Mhajicek that gave the best pricing picture in #341 therefore not necessary to repeat. Apologies to all . . . even the narcissists. lol

Last edited:
Autodesk Alias
Ow ! Ow ! Ow ! Please ! Wavefront | Alias ! Just seeing "autodicks" next to the name of a good piece of software from a decent company, ow ! hurts !

was also a a great product, production quality surface modeler( obviously bought from someone else).
Of course it was, because it had nothing to do with autodicks :(

Back