What's new
What's new

Titanium uneven thickness trouble machining and deburring

vebjorn

Plastic
Hi

I have some problems with machining titanuim grade 5.

Its a long banan shaped workpiece cut out out 10.5 - 11mm thick titanium grade5 plate and a lot of cut outs for weight reduce.

Its diffecult to comply with tolerance 10mm +0 - 0.1 thickness when I facemill it in the CNC .

Is it possible to get grinded titanum grade 5 plate with even thickness?

I`m not supposed to machine the conture, but I need to deburre the edges (aprox 0.2mm), i`ve tried to do this with a chamfere mill, but its cutout with waterjet and therefore the workpieces is little different from time to time and often from top top bottom and that makes it very uneven and not even contact with tool some places.

I have tried to put a rotating file in a floating ER holder, but that also get to uneven.

Is there another way to derburre this uneven edge in a CNC mill, Brush or anything?

If the weight reduction pockets are all on one side, the asymmetric removal of material can result in a bowed (warped) part. A picture of the part (or partial sketch if it's proprietary) to show the basic design would help to understand this.

There are deburring brushes that might work for you, search "abrasive brush deburring tools" to get a listing of companies to contact.

Yes and the workpiece is (warped) in the first place. The most important thing is to hold the tolerance on the thickness. Ive tried to use a small mill soo that I dont add tension to the material and I feel that i have a good workholding.

You might need to use a different titanium supplier (if one is available) to get better stock flatness, or go thicker and face both sides before finish machining. But that will add significant costs for material and time.

Back