What's new
What's new

TL-1 ... radius vs diameter X-axis behavior

John_Z

Plastic
Good day -

Perhaps a simplistic ... or stupid ... or both ... question, but we have a TL-1 (circa 2007?) in our shop that no one has much used or understands. I'm an old G code programmer (started with paper tape) ... and the Haas takes G code ... so certainly I should be able to make some use of it. But I'm seeing something I wasn't expecting.

When I move the X-axis (either via jog or program), it moves half as much as I expect. So a 1 in move on the display equates to only 1/2 in physical movement. My understanding is this is "diameter" programming mode. Although I can work with it in straight line cuts, I expect it to become problematic with arcs via circular interpolation. Or at least I'll find it awfully confusing.

So ... it would seem I should be able to change the machine to radius programming. The manual appears to ignore this topic. A web search indicates I should be able to change setting 285 directly - or I should be able to toggle setting 285 via program using G171 and G172. Problem: I don't find setting 285 on my control and when I program G171 or G172, it's says it's invalid.

Am I missing something obvious here? Is there a trick?

Thanks,
John_Z

The TL1 I have in my shop behaves the same as yours. Just program as normal and it is calculating the distance to the center of the spindle. When touching off X to the side of your part you must then add the diameter of the material in negative.

My TL1 has conversational programming available also and we use that quite a bit until the need arises for more complex cuts or shapes. The G-Code is necessary.

I should add that my shop is a HS machine shop and I teach on the machine so not production.

Thanks for the input. Obviously it works as designed - I'll just need to get used to it.

John_Z

Back