What's new
What's new

Tool Eject on Milltronics Partner 1 not working

jtlodi

Plastic
I have a Milltronic Partner 1-D with a Centurion 5 controller.

Problem: Tool Eject button does not eject the tool.

The machine is lightly used and never was used as a production machine .... mostly a hobby machine for me. For the past several years, its basically been used as a drill press with a drill chuck in the spindle. I took all the tools out of the carousel and the controller showed there was a tool (T11) in the spindle. When I pressed the tool eject button the controller updated itself to show no tool in the spindle. Since the Tool eject button did not eject the tool, I now have a problem.

An air compressor is attached to the mill.

With the eject button not working, I can't determine if I have a relay or a solenoid problem.
Therefore I can't safely run a tool change. Is there a way to manually eject the tool? ... or ...

Is there a way to change a parameter so the controller thinks there is a tool in the spindle, so I can try a MDI tool change command?

If I can get the tool out of the spindle, I can try a tool change operation to help determine the problem safely.
Thank you for any responses.

If you have a wiring diagram, you should be able to find the correct terminals and short across them to initiate the electrical signal to activate the solenoid to send the air to the cylinder. You can also just activate the solenoid manually by pushing a button on it, which would release the tool. As a last resort go to the air cylinder itself, disconnect the air line and hold an air gun against it and pressurize it to release the tool. Once the tool is out you can do trouble shooting to figure out the real problem.

Thanks Brian for your reply. All good information. The problem turned out to be with the eject button itself. It is a normally open switch. Another source had me reset and home the machine ... then jogging so the table was under the spindle ... moving the spindle down close to the table ... put a board on the table to protect it. Then I issued a M25. The tool released from the spindle. (What a good feeling that was!) Since there was nothing in the carousel and nothing in the spindle, I did an MDI tool change ... T1M6 ... and the mill went through all the normal operations of a tool change so I knew the pneumatic and electrical parts were all working. I then tried the 'tool eject' button again ... nothing happened ... conclusion-> bad eject button. I now have to get that out and test/clean/replace it and I should be good to go.

Good news then, a button is an easy and cheap item to replace. On my knee mill I wired in an external button on a long coil cord so I can reach the button (I work from a wheelchair and the stock button is too high for me).

Back