What's new
What's new

Tool holder drops when returning from spindle.

ronaldinho_07

Aluminum
I've a problem.if there were only 1 tool holder(tool in spindle,no tool at waiting location),everything were fine.
But if there were 2 tool holders (both spindle and waiting location), when returning the tool from spindle into waiting spot.it will drop as you see in the video.
What could be the problem?
Thank you
Tool drops - YouTube

Gửi từ LG-H901 của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk

You need to concentrate on the park / waiting position, your issue only happens at about sec 27 of 33.

What holds the tools at the park position? I'd bet balls and springs. They'd need refreshing.

Regards Phil.

Yes.the pot holds tool by 3 metal balls and springs.i have cleaned them by wd40.
I noticed that,the height of tool arm is different but dont know why.at the second test(tool drop) ,you can see tool arm does not go high enough.

551aaf6a658ed80ff8301531e280a10a.jpg

It uses cam mechanism not hydraulic

Saw the same issue in an older mycenter once. Was a damaged shear pin in the bottom of the tool change arm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Agree .. if you slow to 25% speed it looks like the hold arbor is going a little short and the draw catch draws it up, The fall one looks like going even less (more short)in and so not enough to catch.

I am not sure what is the cause of the problem but why would you let that tool holders fall on to the table are metal surface knowing its going to fall like that. Might want to put something soft under the spindle while testing.

I am not sure what is the cause of the problem but why would you let that tool holders fall on to the table are metal surface knowing its going to fall like that. Might want to put something soft under the spindle while testing.

wow, Hope they are not making China lathe parts in VIET NAM with the likes of that, dropping cutting tools on the table.

Bar the arm up and down and look for loose stuff inside the mechanism.

Remove the tool arm, check to see how bent it is and re-attach it as straight as you can.

Do not try to adjust anything if you have worn/broken parts inside the mechanism. The barrelcam style changers won't tolerate lost motion. If you try to adjust something to compensate you'll come up short somewhere else.

If the tool arm shaft is bent badly you might get away with jacking it straight again, but that mechanism looks a bit whimpy. I think enouigh force to bend the rod back would break things in there. Best to pull the shaft and straighten in a press then.

You need to concentrate on the park / waiting position, your issue only happens at about sec 27 of 33.

What holds the tools at the park position? I'd bet balls and springs. They'd need refreshing.

Regards Phil.

This would be my first guess as well. You can have two problems arise when the springs/balls are dirty/worn; they either will not have enough spring force to hold the retention knob behind the balls, or the springs will not allow the balls to move and let the retention knob past the balls. Your tool change arm may not be moving to the right height because the dirty pot will not allow the tool to be pushed past the balls.

A quick spray with WD40 may not be enough. My machine has 20 pots and I had to remove and completely disassemble, clean, and re-grease each one.

I'd look for burrs,sticking inside the swing arm.
The fingers in the spindle will more likely be stronger/more apt to overtake an issue with a tool sticking in the swing arm.
The method of holding a tool in the carousel is minimal.

To the op
was the R1 damaged when it went down?

i have had this issue since my machine lost it's zero point return.
I have adjusted zero point return and also check alignment of tool arm,it seems fine.

What is this springs used for ?
It is bent.
1c5ad2d44aa09e8255dd593c020b08f1.jpg

I removed them from the end of the swing arm
a7172aad780378fa9f62ff8bddebbcab.jpg

Anyway,i have put some soft material below the arm for tool holder.yesterday night i cant find anything.
7902a16ecd2c4459db324d73703fc0a0.jpg

I don't think it's your swing arm that's the problem. I think that your drawbar is lower than the waiting pocket and the swing arm isn't traveling far enough to put the tool holder in the waiting pocket.

The travel of the swing arm is determined by the spindle. I think maybe your toolchange height could be too low.

It could be that the spindle is too high at the toolchange position. I am pretty sure that is set by G30 on that machine. When there are 2 tools in the arm, the drawbar grabs the pullstud and pulls up, deflecting the arm downward at the carry pot, pulling it out of the retention balls. The arm may be a bit low also.

If the arm is too low at the magazine side then it can be raised. Put the threaded cap back on and make alignment marks on the arm and shaft. Loosen the clamping ring and free the arm from the shaft. Screw the cap on further until you have raised the arm the desired amount. Re-align the shaft to the arm and tighten the clamping ring bolts. You may need to readjust your G30 Z position after doing that.

The spring and the plunger and tapered sleeve are part of the mechanism that locks the tools in the arm when the arm drops away from the spindle and carry pot. The bent spring is not the best. If it were not working the tools would come out of the arm when it was turning the 180 degree motion.

Seem like i can adjust height of the swing arm.
I am going to adjust that height and z height too

It could be that the spindle is too high at the toolchange position. I am pretty sure that is set by G30 on that machine. When there are 2 tools in the arm, the drawbar grabs the pullstud and pulls up, deflecting the arm downward at the carry pot, pulling it out of the retention balls. The arm may be a bit low also.

If the arm is too low at the magazine side then it can be raised. Put the threaded cap back on and make alignment marks on the arm and shaft. Loosen the clamping ring and free the arm from the shaft. Screw the cap on further until you have raised the arm the desired amount. Re-align the shaft to the arm and tighten the clamping ring bolts. You may need to readjust your G30 Z position after doing that.

The spring and the plunger and tapered sleeve are part of the mechanism that locks the tools in the arm when the arm drops away from the spindle and carry pot. The bent spring is not the best. If it were not working the tools would come out of the arm when it was turning the 180 degree motion.

this is what i have done:
-put 1 tool in waiting location,1 tool in spindle
-loosen the bolts above swing arm as you can see in the above picture to make an alignment.Then i tighten the bolts
-re-align spindle by G30 parameters.

i have C32/C20 and ER32 tool holders.ER32 always drop,feel like its very hard to put into the pot

look at your pull studs if you have 1 that is acting different
if possible, compare the part numbers of the studs to make sure they are the same

Back