What's new
What's new

Tool holder vises for Cat 40 and VDI

metronorth

Hot Rolled
Does anyone know of a North American source for both Cat 40 and VDI toolholder vises? I can find the Cat 40 no problem, and I can find VDI 40 from England but I don't want to order something from overseas. I have attached a link to the system that I found. I just want a simple type of vise that I can mount to an I beam near the machines.

Glenn @ Metro North

Tool Boy Fixtures

Hardinge VDI Holder

Nice but a little spendy
VDI40PAp.jpg

Product Display

Arb; I have one of the Hardinge units. Good for measuring, not so useful for putting tools together. The block is a little hard to hold onto when you're tightening down an ER40 collet

Edster & Chipload; No VDI available but thanks for passing along the info.

Glenn

For Tightening my VDI tools i just use a bench vise. An easy decent shop made solution would be to make a set of soft jaws for a bench vise.
But I just use a vise with none serrated jaws.:)

Hi All,

After searching in vain for a reasonably priced basic VDI30 tool vise I have decided to make some. I will have a couple available in a few weeks if there is any interest; likely on ebay or maybe directly on our site. Not sure yet. I will follow up with details when I have a couple made. The price looks like it will be around a couple hundred bucks per.

The body will be hard anodized 6061 aluminum and the toothed gripper will be of C360 Brass, it has a thrust bearing, is easily rebuildable, and with any luck will outlast the lathe. No more jiggering tools into the bench vise... :cheers:

Attachments

• VDI 30 Vise.JPG
    VDI 30 Vise.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,445
Hello All,

Have another batch of VDI 30 Tool blocks made. The originals are now two years old, used five days a week, and going strong. Any interest?

Back