What's new
What's new

tool post help

sundown57

Aluminum
I picked up 2 sets of these Dorian tool posts. I have 2 lathes. a 14/40 and a 12/40 It fit the 14 ok but too tall for the 12. I called Dorian they just said to buy a new one. Does anyone know how to take it apart so I can make a thinner riser for it?

Attachments

• IMG_1192.JPG
    IMG_1192.JPG
    508.3 KB · Views: 41
Yep. Start looking for fasteners, and undoing them. Worst case, the whole thing falls apart, and you get to clean the mung of ages out of the innards, re-lubricate it, and put it back together.

Watch for 'sneakies', like having a set screw at the bottom of a long hole through the center threaded portion, or pull said portion out and see if there is a bolt head under there, and always check to see if they stacked one damn set screw over another! :) DAMHIKT!

Dunno if this helps but kinda sounds similar to your problem.

actually, I am going to go a different route I bought a smaller set for my 10-inch. now I want to trade this one for a piston type but same size. I'm sure I will get asked why so ill try to explain it now. I'm old and old habits die hard. I have 4 lathes altogether, and all use the piston type where you just whack the handle on top and pull the tool post off. and I have been known to swap tool holders while the lathe is running. with this one, if I whack the handle I can rotate the bit into the running lathe by hand. and I'm too old to remember DONT DO THAT. So I want to just trade it for one like all my others. so I need one for a 14-inch lathe.

so you think it's BS because I'm afraid of making a mistake and rotating a tool bit into a running piece? Wonder what its like to be a person that NEVER EVer makes a mistake. wow

That plate is part of the tool post. I have the same one at work. Dorians new tool post that size doesn't have that plate. If you buy new tool holders from them you will have to cut a step in the holder to clear the plate. It is a CXA size tool post, FYI

That plate is part of the tool post. I have the same one at work. Dorians new tool post that size doesn't have that plate. If you buy new tool holders from them you will have to cut a step in the holder to clear the plate. It is a CXA size tool post, FYI
on the new ones do they rotate like this one or are they fixed so you can just remove the holder?

Dorian makes both styles.

The static option:

Their is someone selling a Aloris CXA tool post, maybe you could work something out with them.

Last edited:

Back