What's new
What's new

Tooling for machining silicon metal

M. Roberts

Cast Iron
If you were given a job to machine silicon metal; for sake of argument, a 1/2" diameter hole, 1/2" deep blind, what would would your first choice for tooling be? I am leaning towards a diamond grinding nib, and slowly ramping and interpolating the hole...any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Any link to the actual material and properties? If it is a crystalline silicon (I know you describe it as "metal") then diamond would be the choice. But if it has greater ductility and more "metallic" behavior then maybe other methods would work.

If you were given a job to machine silicon metal; for sake of argument, a 1/2" diameter hole, 1/2" deep blind, what would would your first choice for tooling be? I am leaning towards a diamond grinding nib, and slowly ramping and interpolating the hole...any thoughts?

This stuff?

Silicon metal

Despite the name and appearance, this isn't actually a metal.

It's likely that only diamond will work well, as it's quite hard - Moh’s Hardness: 7, the same as quartz.

Carbide may work, but wear faster than normal.

But silicon metal may tend to fracture, so it may be more like machining glass than any metal.

It’s an exotic ask, I’ve only machined 2% Si, can’t imagining the pure giant crystaled stuff, it’s ductile hot, brittle cold, fact is it’s plastic at high temp ( I found out) cold it’s toughened glass
Mark

Silicon is a metaloid in the carbon group not a true metal. How will pure silicon react with air. I assume it will corrode over time when exposed to air or water.
Bill D

How does this material compare to silicon carbide? We machine a lot of silicon carbide, so if it is similar I could tell you the tools and cutting parameters that we use.

Back