What's new
What's new

Tools to Make Gears on 3+1-Axis Mill or Live Tool Lathe

So tell us, Mr Educator..."master gear" and "master involute" serve no realworld purpose... how cool they are.
about 90% of my time here has been spent reading threads. You are nothing if not true to form. Same modus operandi, start with an unqualified\quantified outlandish bomb follow with modification if called out and diversion if someone hands you your ass.

the level of projection and paradox in this thread is stunning

you already know the value of standards so that is a pointless debate
thank you I have enough herring

If all you want is to produce okay spur gears, get a wire EDM, it's very versatile. If you want a gear machine and for students to understand gears better, I would skip anything complicated or CNC and buy a shaper. It's one of the best options for understanding how gears are generated, so the students will learn more than they will programming an arbitrary shape on an EDM. In my experience teaching, gear shaping is the process that they 'get' the most. It's also versatile, can do ID work, cut up to a shoulder, etc.

Are the students supposed to be participating in setting up/operating these machines or is this a university shop that just supports the various programs, making whatever widgets and devices they need?

If the goal is teaching gear basics I agree with DanielG.

If the goal is getting properly made, quality gears to work in devices developed by the university then you need to farm this stuff out to gear shops that know what they're doing.

about 90% of my time here has been spent reading threads. You are nothing if not true to form. Same modus operandi, start with an unqualified\quantified outlandish bomb follow with modification if called out and diversion if someone hands you your ass.

the level of projection and paradox in this thread is stunning

you already know the value of standards so that is a pointless debate
thank you I have enough herring

Back