What's new
What's new

Top Notch Threading Inserts

Micmac1

Cast Iron
We have been using Tool Flo for the last 20+ years, they work great for what we do, and they are widely availible in different profiles, nose radius etc. However pricing has gone from $10-13 ea to $18-22 in the past 6 months, are there any other brands with similar size selection that use the iso holders? Is pricing similar or better ? How to they hold up? i know some companys use a proritery top notch which i am trying to steer away from. we use carmex laydown inserts also but they are not always the best option depending on the part or material.

Top notch through Kennametal and top lok through sandvik are even more expensive. I gave up on top notch and changed to sandvik 266 style. much better life and reliability with them, very happy.

Top notch through Kennametal and top lok through sandvik are even more expensive. I gave up on top notch and changed to sandvik 266 style. much better life and reliability with them, very happy.
I agree. Topnotch stuff is pretty old tech. The relief angles are high so the edge is weak comparatively. Maybe time to ditch the topnotch style?

everything sandvik is expensive almost too expensive they're good but remember top notch was kennametal they pioneered it

I don't think that anyone else makes Top Notch?
I also don't know that it is ISO since no-one else makes it, other than those 2.
???

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I also don't know that it is ISO since no-one else makes it, other than those 2.
???
Valenite carried them as a catalog item once the patent expired.
Not ISO but definitely a standard.
I lost orders for over 18,000 per year going to China to Iscar so while not a catalog item they for sure make them.
I grind around 5000 pcs a year of top-notch and top-loks now.
Ultra-Met carries the rough mold blanks in stock.
Bob

Last edited:
everything sandvik is expensive almost too expensive
I agree. Everything Sandvik does cost more then it should. But their products always seem to work extremely well with no surprises. There is a lot of value to that IMO. And inserts tend to last longer so even at the high prices, the cost per part is still great.

Expensive tooling really does pay for itself and more besides. Hard to justify on small jobs, but every time I buy a quality tool for a big job I always look back at how that expensive tool saved me 5 times as much money in saved time and reliability.

???

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
One i know of are ISCAR, Kennametal, Tool-Flo, Hertel and im sure there is more. I think even HAAS Tooling carries them now.

Well, Hertel is part of Kenna.

IDK about ISCAR peddling Top Notch?
But could be... They have a new blade out to convert Manchester holders over to their system.
So, could be that they chose to support this too?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Well, Hertel is part of Kenna.

IDK about ISCAR peddling Top Notch?
But could be... They have a new blade out to convert Manchester holders over to their system.
So, could be that they chose to support this too?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Iscar calls them notchgrip inserts, we never used them so i am unsure if they are compatable.

The advantage with the Top Notch stuff is the versatility. One holder can be used with a variety of insert types. This is a benefit for short runs and prototype stuff. We get a lot of Top Notch inserts custom ground for oddball geometries. Drawback is there is only 2 and sometimes 1 cutting edge per insert. Old design but it still works.

Large production runs you would want to find the optimum tool for the job. I would not say Top Notch is the best and certainly not the lowest cost per edge.

Check pricing on tool flo top notch inserts at Carbide Depot. On -3 size inserts looks like around ,$13-$14 for UN or UNJ to about $17 for Acme with most groovers in the middle of that range.

???

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
try KYOCERA they're really nice
and also sandvik has top notch too i would stay away from VALENITE regardless of how cheap it is
they're sht!!!! absolute sht and outdated there is a reason they're no longer in existence

Back