What's new
What's new

Tos SN32 Spindle Bearing Lubrication

deantooler

Plastic
I want to grease my Tos lathe spindle bearings. It is a 1994 SN32. I removed the access cap on top of the housing but there is not enough room to get grease into the rollers.

Do I need to remove the spindle nose and slide the housing forward on the ways to access the bearings or is there an easier way? Please give all the detail you can if you have performed this service.

I have an owner's manual but it has almost no information other than suggesting appropriate grease and giving a 4000 hour greasing schedule. Mobilux EP 2 is suggested.

Does anyone know why these machines have greased bearings and not oiled?

I want to grease my Tos lathe spindle bearings. It is a 1994 SN32. I removed the access cap on top of the housing but there is not enough room to get grease into the rollers.

Do I need to remove the spindle nose and slide the housing forward on the ways to access the bearings or is there an easier way? Please give all the detail you can if you have performed this service.

I have an owner's manual but it has almost no information other than suggesting appropriate grease and giving a 4000 hour greasing schedule. Mobilux EP 2 is suggested.

Does anyone know why these machines have greased bearings and not oiled?

I can’t answer your question but it’s very unusual for a lathe spindle bearings to be greased. I don’t recall another one in my experience.

Regards Tyrone.

Anyone ever greased a Tos SN32 spindle? Anyone ever just fill the housing with oil instead? I hate to ever deviate from any manufacturer's instructions..

I have a surface grinder spindle i'm rebuilding. Boyar Schultz which is out of business. I have to tell all of you, the tech customer service people at Lubriplate are top notch. Give them some specifics ie bearing size/type, speed, application etc. And they should have an honest answer. I was given a few choices.. I got turned onto SYN GR-132. It's not kluber but the cost is really reasonable. You can also order direct from their website. I compared the Syn Gr to some Mobil Polyrex EM. It wasn't apples to apples because the Mobil was stiffer and rated for higher heat. It had no slump to it. An old master machinist taught me a good test. Rub some grease between thumb and fore finger, wipe them off with a dry good clean towel. With anything called grease/oil, you should still feel the slip between your fingers. Repeat with water, then soap and water, then solvent. You progressively find the tenacity of the lubricant. With the carpal tunnel issues i have. I won't comment/ can't tell with the solvent (mineral spirits) but the Lubriplate satisfied me. The Mobil was also rated for a higher temperature. Don't think that a higher temp grease is better. The slump allows the grease to get back into contact with the ball and grove, My 2 cents.

Back