What's new
What's new

TR-110 5th axis, new to 5 axis, tips, advice? see sample

Stirling

Hot Rolled
just picked up a auction TR-110 at auction (rolled the dice I hope it works!)
anywhoo

I got a job I need 5 axis positioning on and have no 5th experience/expectation or capability. how hard can i push something like this before overcoming its limited break tourque? (40lb) Rotory spec sheet ( http://www.vanwaasdijk.com/assets/datasheet/DAT_TR110_UK.pdf )
obviously theres alot of factors when overhug drilling and such.

my highest load cut would be to drill a 3/8" holes in 4140htsr overhung 7" from B 2.5" from A (see photo) in a 5 axis position
i will also be drilling a 0.5" hole on top of the small rounds in the fixture, but being at 90deg b i can toss a tailstock into it if needed.

im all ears on advice in this situaion and with any/all advice you have with regards to this particular oddball haas rotory or any other 5 axis stuff :) love ot learn!

jobs not a panic at all and if this trunnion does not work out ive got a hrt160 and hrt210 i can work together into a 5th anis (trunnion on the 210 with the 160 bolted on, not alt of working space with this one tho, but enough for this job if needed)examplepm.jpgexapmlepm2.jpg

Google found me a drilling force calculator:

Kennametal(R) Drilling Torque, Thrust and Power Calculator

With a few assumptions (300HBN material, carbide drill, 143 SFM, 8.68 IPM), it said 176 pounds of Z axis drilling force. With that you should be able to calculate your rotary axis torque requirements, and see if the rotary's specs are exceeded.

You can reduce the drilling force by reducing feed, so you might be able to do it even if that does exceed the torque spec. If we drop the feed to 2.91 IPM, the force drops to 128 pounds.

Google found me a drilling force calculator:

Kennametal(R) Drilling Torque, Thrust and Power Calculator

With a few assumptions (300HBN material, carbide drill, 143 SFM, 8.68 IPM), it said 176 pounds of Z axis drilling force. With that you should be able to calculate your rotary axis torque requirements, and see if the rotary's specs are exceeded.

You can reduce the drilling force by reducing feed, so you might be able to do it even if that does exceed the torque spec. If we drop the feed to 2.91 IPM, the force drops to 128 pounds.

I suppose that raises the question then. when haas specific's break holding torque, how far from center is the rated torque measured?
clearly on center you can push as hard as you want with a drill (within reason) but every inch off center the same 50lb thrust multiplies significantly!

sounds like a email forj haas applications

The nice thing about torque is that it is literally measured in force over distance.

1 Nm is one newton at one meter, 10 Nm is ten newton at one meter etc. etc.

So if the brake have a holding power of 150 Nm then you can push with 150 N (about 15 kg) at one meter. At 178 mm from center it's about 850N.

When Haas says the brake torque is 40 ft-lbs, that means 40 pounds at 1 foot from the center, 80 pounds 6" from center, or 20 pounds 2 feet from center.

Now what I want to know is if you can sum the spindle torque of 65 ft-lbs with the brake torque of 40 ft-lbs.

When Haas says the brake torque is 40 ft-lbs, that means 40 pounds at 1 foot from the center, 80 pounds 6" from center, or 20 pounds 2 feet from center.

Now what I want to know is if you can sum the spindle torque of 65 ft-lbs with the brake torque of 40 ft-lbs.

I kinda doubt it. I ASSume they block the servo from running when the break is engaged.

I’m curious to how the lost motion/squish is in the harmonic drive as well.
It fits so well on a vf2.
I hope it’s not disappointing. I doubt haas ever made it considering it was a harmonic drive with air over hydraulic breaks. Kinda outside their wheelhouse.
So it could be great or a crap shoot. The little things where quite expensive in there day tho!
I heard 30k

Back