What's new
What's new

Tracking Programming Time?

dylskee

Cast Iron
I have been doing some contract programming for a friend of mine that has his own shop in TN. Most of the parts I did for him were pretty simple and not very time consuming so I could bang them out in an hour most of the time. The past couple packages I got were pretty complex and required a lot more attention, lot's of tight tolerancing and busy blue prints so I'm spending a lot more time on them. I'm doing this from home so distractions are plentiful to say the least! I want to monitor my actual time I am spending on these jobs to be fair to both of us, the last one I did for him I know I gave him a deal but I didn't actually monitor all of my time on that job. I know I can just write down the time when I start and then do the same when I stop but these are parts that are going to require hours of programming and I won't be doing it in one sitting. Is there an online time clock I can use? I googled some but they are not free. Just wondering what some of you contract programmers do to track your time. Thanks in advance......:)

"I googled some but they are not free."

Just so I understand......
You want to keep track of time so you can charge your customer, but you don't want to pay some programmer for a program to track you time.
Sounds fair.

Ken

"I googled some but they are not free."

Just so I understand......
You want to keep track of time so you can charge your customer, but you don't want to pay some programmer for a program to track you time.
Sounds fair.

Ken
Wow, maybe you should read it again because you don't understand! I am the programmer, programming for a friend of mine when he is busy and I would like to track my time, and yes I would like the program to be FREE! Thanks for your useful post though, Im not sure what I would have done without your help. Take care Ken....... :skep:

I have been doing some contract programming for a friend of mine that has his own shop in TN. Most of the parts I did for him were pretty simple and not very time consuming so I could bang them out in an hour most of the time. The past couple packages I got were pretty complex and required a lot more attention, lot's of tight tolerancing and busy blue prints so I'm spending a lot more time on them. I'm doing this from home so distractions are plentiful to say the least! I want to monitor my actual time I am spending on these jobs to be fair to both of us, the last one I did for him I know I gave him a deal but I didn't actually monitor all of my time on that job. I know I can just write down the time when I start aMnd then do the same when I stop but these are parts that are going to require hours of programming and I won't be doing it in one sitting. Is there an online time clock I can use? I googled some but they are not free. Just wondering what some of you contract programmers do to track your time. Thanks in advance......:)

I've been thinking about doing some contract programming myself what do you charge by the hour if you don't mind me asking, I was thinking around $40-50/hr

I have been doing some contract programming for a friend of mine that has his own shop in TN. Most of the parts I did for him were pretty simple and not very time consuming so I could bang them out in an hour most of the time. The past couple packages I got were pretty complex and required a lot more attention, lot's of tight tolerancing and busy blue prints so I'm spending a lot more time on them. I'm doing this from home so distractions are plentiful to say the least! I want to monitor my actual time I am spending on these jobs to be fair to both of us, the last one I did for him I know I gave him a deal but I didn't actually monitor all of my time on that job. I know I can just write down the time when I start and then do the same when I stop but these are parts that are going to require hours of programming and I won't be doing it in one sitting. Is there an online time clock I can use? I googled some but they are not free. Just wondering what some of you contract programmers do to track your time. Thanks in advance......:)

What software are you using to program for your customer? Just curious to see what others are using at home.

I've been thinking about doing some contract programming myself what do you charge by the hour if you don't mind me asking, I was thinking around $40-50/hr

If I were to do contract programming then yes it would be in the $50.00~$75.00 but this is for a friend of mine that I worked with for a couple years. He has moved back home to take over his father's small shop. He has recently added some CNCs and some software to stay competitive. So when he gets a big lump of work I help out with the programming for $30.00 an hour, and when he makes good money on a package he gives me more. He is fairly new to CAD/CAM software so my programs help him to learn the software as well.

What software are you using to program for your customer? Just curious to see what others are using at home.

He provides me a USB key for a seat of MasterCam X5 Mill, he is much more proficient in Lathe so I help out with the milling.

Hi,

We have been using employee time recording software from Replicon, where it has helped me save a lot of time as I can track the time taken for the tasks at work and plan the tasks effectively. This software really helps us to follow an organized work schedule at my office.

Thanks!

Wow, maybe you should read it again because you don't understand! I am the programmer, programming for a friend of mine when he is busy and I would like to track my time, and yes I would like the program to be FREE! Thanks for your useful post though, Im not sure what I would have done without your help. Take care Ken....... :skep:

Here he's talking about the irony of you charging for your programming time, timing yourself using software that was programmed for your computer by someone else, that you don't want to pay for.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread for the O.P., but it never ceases to amaze me how the simplest, and innocent question posted on this board will generate one response that has to figure out some angle to rip on the O.P. :rolleyes5:

You could just use a simple digital stop watch right at the computer. Click it when you start, click it when you stop. It should tally up the total at the end just fine for you.

Supposing you program some job and it took 135 minutes.

But you were tied up for a full afternoon with tending your kid, answering the phone, getting by some distraction or other.

If you were NOT programming, your afternoon would be free to use as you pleased, but you had a job to do.

So the chargeout should probably be in the neighbourhood of 4 hours.

Anytime I've done programming or designing work, I never remember to restart the clock after an interuption, so the quoted time HAS to be somewhat of an approximation IMO.

I have a basic bones cellphone that has a stopwatch, I use that to time things.

I would recommend getting a Pomodoro Timer, you don't really need to buy one, the concept can be mastered with just about any modern phone (or egg timer).

The idea is you sit and program for set about of time, usually 25 minutes, but what ever works best for you, and avoid all the interruptions, you can. After the timer goes off, you stop programming, and do something else, Like check the latest goings ons of this fine web site. This allows you to be more fair with your billing, because you are focused on the task you are billing for, for a predefine interval. Just count your "pomodori", and you have your programming time. I use this technique often when I've got something particularly mentally tasking to work on, It amazing how often I come up with solution to a problem, when I go to think about something else for a moment.

The audio isn't great, but "The Healthy Programmer" is a great nerd talk with other things that might be of use when programming at home or work, And is where I got the idea for this. (Now where can I find a desk suited for both standing and sitting?)

Here he's talking about the irony of you charging for your programming time, timing yourself using software that was programmed for your computer by someone else, that you don't want to pay for.

Wow, another useful post! This thread is over a year old and I'm not programming for him anymore, everything worked out well. Helped a friend make some money and I made some as well, now I'm off to enjoy the rest of my long weekend, I suggest you do the same beege. :rolleyes5:

Wow, another useful post! This thread is over a year old and I'm not programming for him anymore, everything worked out well. Helped a friend make some money and I made some as well, now I'm off to enjoy the rest of my long weekend, I suggest you do the same beege. :rolleyes5:

Very Sorry if I offended. I wasn't flaming you, just trying to clarify what greyghost said in his post. I'm glad you had found a solution, and noticed that before I submitted a reply. Also glad you both made money together. That's what it's all about, isn't it? I'm enjoying my weekend aready. Stay safe!

Back