What's new
What's new

Treasures from an Old Tool Chest

duckfarmer27

Stainless
Sunday after church I headed to the fall consignment sale a local auctioneer had. In stopping by last week he had some interesting pieces from an estate about 18 miles away. Must have been an old machinist or tool maker from what I saw. From my standpoint it was a good auction and among some other things I bought a Gertsner O31 box with all the tools. Also bought a nice home made box that came from the same person - also with contents.

I still have to sort things out but three things caught my eye. A small, obviously owner made, surface gauge. Across the top is stamped A Brown. In another drawer was the stamp used on the piece. Then I noticed a little note book. It was put out by the Arcade File Works, Anderson, Indiana. By the back cover, the best equipped file works in the world. Inside back cover has the calendars for 1896 and 1897. Inside, page 1 has the name Arthur Brown written in pencil. Book is old, pencil faint in places and somewhat dirty for being 120 or so years old. Arthur made notes on books to have, how to find metric threads, notes on American watch lathe - and that is only the first 3 pages. Later on how to cut gears, heat treat, etc. etc.

I am guessing at least 2 generations owned and worked out of this this box. Either that or it is a time capsule. I'm sure not an expert on age of specific tools but will have to do some research and see what I can come up with.

Sure would have liked to have met Mr. Brown. My guess is he was an interesting man.

Dale

Attachments

• 1-A Brown Notebook Stamp.jpg
    1-A Brown Notebook Stamp.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,017
  • 1-A Brown Surface Gauge.jpg
    1-A Brown Surface Gauge.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,016
Have a few minutes so will post some more contents. This might take me a few days to get through - I'm no expert on old stuff and not a collector. I'm a retired engineer who attempts to do machining - and I really respect the craftsmanship that exists in this world.

I'll put three pictures in this one. First is two machinist jacks which are slightly different and appear to be user made to me. Also what appears to me to be a user made protractor. No markings on any of these.

One drawer in the one chest was loaded with small files - I counted something like 103 files and 9 rifflers. Among them are the three shown below. All made by Nicholson and made in USA. One is thicker than the other two. The two the same thickness - one has vertical edges while the other is tapered at the sides. Not the best picture of the working sides, but they are a fine pattern. What the heck were these designed for? My guess would be for use on a machine surface to reduce a ding - instead of using a stone. Hence the two 'finger holes' in each. But that's just a guess.

I'll keep posting this if people want to see it - and please chime in as I'm no expert or collector of this old stuff.

Dale

Attachments

• 1-IMG_1557.jpg
    1-IMG_1557.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 704
  • 1-IMG_1568.jpg
    1-IMG_1568.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 577
  • 1-IMG_1570.jpg
    1-IMG_1570.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 591
A Window into the Past

Duckfarmer27:

Please do tell us more! Posting a complete inventory would not be a waste of time. (I'm working up an inventory for a patternmaker's chest which I bought recently - I do intend to share it here.)

A tool chest complete with contents always seems to me like a "window into the past". When I can identify the owner, it's as if a man emerged from the mists of history.

Your Alfred Brown can very likely be pinned down via one of the genealogy sites, if a google search for an obituary comes up dry. The genealogy sites have US Census records, which are released after about 100 years.

Let's see: Lots of tiny files. Dies? Perhaps he was a stamp-maker? Perhaps he did something with clocks or watches?

That little surface gauge would make a terrific project, if you could create accurate drawings! I like the ornamentation.

John Ruth

The files were made to be used with a handle. Handle had two prongs on the side, which fit into the depressions and were expanded lengthwise by a screw.

John -

Thanks for the explanation on the files - makes sense. I don't remember seeing a handle like that but it might be in the pile of stuff spread all over the bench.

I'll post a few more pictures. First up - and why I made the comment about maybe two generations had this box. Sine bar. It is still in original box but no markings as to maker. You can see the initials ESW stamped in the bottom. Appears to me to be newer than most of the rest of the items. And as you can see at some point some moisture in the box and the bottom of the bars have some corrosion.

Three old screw plates - so maybe someone was a watch guy, among other things. Might explain the notation in notebook on metric threads. The 2 larger ones are stamped what appears to be P S Stubs and both have a 19 stamped on the tang. Smallest one is marked Martin Fils Swiss, 24 on the tang, Garantie on one side and numbers 6 - 17 down the other.

And a nice plumb bob.

Dale

Attachments

• 1-IMG_1559.jpg
    1-IMG_1559.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 448
  • 1-IMG_1558.jpg
    1-IMG_1558.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 484
  • 1-IMG_1560.jpg
    1-IMG_1560.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 535
  • 1-IMG_1561.jpg
    1-IMG_1561.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 472
Last for tonight.

Two verniers - both 6 inch. One which had a maker on the back (no picture) but some corrosion just bad enough the only thing readable is mbia, PA - so from Pennsylvania. 128 stamped on front, 1000 on back for the metric scale there. Second pair are Mauser, Imperial on front, metric on back. Just from looks the PA ones seem older, but again I'm sure not an expert.

A pair of mechanical test indicators. One from The L. S. Starrett Co., Athol, Mass USA - No. 64. I only have one old Starrett catalog, from the 30s, but forgot to look this one up before I came in from the shop. Second one is a new one on me - but then like I said I'm no collectible tool expert. Made by H. Koch & Son, Nyack, NY; Pat July 17,1906. This one is interesting in that it can be used two ways. Plunger on one end, the other more of a rotation like the Starrett.

Dale

Attachments

• 1-IMG_1564.jpg
    1-IMG_1564.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 490
  • 1-IMG_1563.jpg
    1-IMG_1563.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 415
  • 1-IMG_1566.jpg
    1-IMG_1566.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 618
  • 1-IMG_1565.jpg
    1-IMG_1565.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 463
SouthBendModel34 -

Thanks. It will take me a while but I'll get everything noted. I agree - a window in the past. In the 'Show Us Your Gertsner' I detailed some of the tools in the box I inherited from my Dad. These things, especially the tools a user made himself, amaze me.

I am going to try and track down the name - it is pretty local - it's on the list. You could be right on the files also as to watch / clock based on some of the other things - or dies.

I'll put making a print of the surface gauge on the list - my Hundred Year Project List as I tell my wife. Trouble is I'm 67 and the list keeps growing! I agree it would make a nice project. Don't know if the picture really shows it, but appears to have been done with a shaper on the top side and well used, but not abused. I picked up some vintage sockets from the same place - whoever owned them took good care of their tools. And I really appreciate that.

Dale

Dale,

Your 1st caliper shown is most likely by E. G. Smith, Columbia, PA, whose first product was a caliper reading to 1/128". He dates to about 1890.

Steve

I have a starrett exactly like your H. Koch & Son indicator. Also look that protractor over real good as I have a lufkin just like it that comes in handy once in a while.

Can’t decide if the plumb bob is home made (well done) or not. BTW I have 2 mercury filled bobs & like them better than the solid ones.

Thanks for the posts,
Matt

Steve - I will be careful with the plumb bob, and do realize many of the old ones used mercury. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Mauser dealt in precision tools way back when. At least I think I remembered that when I saw the logo.

Steve - Thanks for the info on the vernier. Like I have said, I am not much of an expert on old tools but there are guys like you on here who have a wealth of knowledge.

Matt - Interesting that Starrett made an indicator like the Koch. I wonder if they bought out the rights or the company as they did do acquisitions if I remember correctly. Agree on the plumb bob - when I looked it over I could not find a mark but it looked almost too uniform - in any event whoever made it did a nice job.

I'm going to post more pictures tonight. I have one old Starrett catalog, number 26 I think which is from the late 30s. I used that late this afternoon trying to compare things. The main thing I noticed was many of the Starrett items do not have a tool number on them. Does anyone know if they did not mark initially but added the numbers later? Just my supposition at this point, not having studied up on it like I probably should.

Dale

Will start out with clamps. There are a number of them. The large one is a Brown and Sharpe with a patent date of January 4, 1908. There are two identical Starretts and marked as such - one with No. 161A on the opposite jaw but the other one unmarked. Two of the others have a mark such that they appear made for sale, others seem made by user. And have another name to add to the mix - H J Spring. I have a good friend by the name of Spring, will have to see if it makes any sense to him.

Next picture has what measures up as a Starrett No. 190 Jack Screw - again, has Starrett but no tool number. The Starrett Center Tester has the same as far as markings.

And now the mics. A Starrett No 3, 0 - 1 inch version. A Brown and Sharpe 1 - 2 inch No 47 that has patent dates on the back of 1891, 1902 and 1894 - I find it funny that the numbers were in that order. The Brown and Sharpe Inside Micrometer Calipers have no number on them. The Starrett depth mic has a patent date of April 21, 1903 and No 446 on it.

Next picture is a Starrett No 124 Inside Micrometer that has a 2 - 12 inch range. There is no number on the tool.

My guess on the next one is it is from the Reed and Prince Manufacturing Company. It is marked R & P Mfg Co, Worcester, Mass. According to what I found on line they operated under this name from 1902 to 1916.

Dale

Attachments

• 1-IMG_1572.jpg
    1-IMG_1572.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 420
  • 1-IMG_1573.jpg
    1-IMG_1573.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 392
  • 1-IMG_1574.jpg
    1-IMG_1574.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 338
  • 1-IMG_1575.jpg
    1-IMG_1575.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 347
  • 1-IMG_1577.jpg
    1-IMG_1577.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 313
First picture of calipers has 2 Starrett, one Brown and Sharpe and one with no name or marking.

The smaller calipers, three across. M. T. Co, Creefield, Mass, USA (It is definitely stamped Creefield, not Greenfield - but I assume it should be a G as no town of Creefield is listed); Starrett; Vom Cleff & Co, NY with an 'H' that appears to be an owner's mark. The one on the bottom I am guessing is the oldest of anything in the two boxes. It is a Starrett with a Pat 188X stamped - I cannot read the last digit due to the way the spring is attached. But it is also dirty - not corroded. Also, the tips are very wide. Can't recall ever seeing one like this before - but then I'm no expert.

Next picture is Starrett Hole Gages marked 829 with a patent number. The 5 telescoping gages are all marked Starrett and 229 (but not the A, B, etc.). Duplicate of the smallest one. The large one is a Brown and Sharpe marked 590A.

Picture 4 has a Starrett No 284 gage for Acme threads. Also a Starrett 156 Metric Screw Pitch Gage. The Brown and Sharpe Center Gage is interesting. The markings are tiny - A R Brown & Sharpe; Makers Prov. RI. For some reason this one also seems old to me.

Last picture has a Starrett Speed Indicator with a patent date of 1897 but no model number. In the catalog I have there is one that looks identical but is sporting a 1905 patent date so I won't hazard a guess as to model number. The hand vise immediately below is only marked 'France'. Hand vise on the bottom is marked Lowell Wrench Co and USA.

Attachments

• 1-IMG_1578.jpg
    1-IMG_1578.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 290
  • 1-IMG_1579.jpg
    1-IMG_1579.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 244
  • 1-IMG_1580.jpg
    1-IMG_1580.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 276
  • 1-IMG_1581.jpg
    1-IMG_1581.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 281
  • 1-IMG_1582.jpg
    1-IMG_1582.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 389
Last 3 pictures for tonight.

First the two levels. Starrett is marked as such but no tool number on it. It has 3 vials. I should note both levels are 12 inches long. Second one a Stanley No. 36.

Second picture is a Starrett Surface Gage. Starrett marking only on the main rod, nowhere else. And no tool number.

Last but not least the O31 Gertsner box. As it is 18 inches wide it is an O31A according to their site. Did not realize this style was the first all wood box offered. Obviously newer than 1900 but I did not see exactly when they started making this model. This was the last picture of the day before I came in from the shop - the low light coming in gave me a better picture than I can usually take - makes it look somehow appropriate.

I still have some more to list, but am getting pretty well along at this point. I just wish these tools and boxes could talk - I'm sure they would have an interesting story to tell.

Dale

Attachments

• 1-IMG_1583.jpg
    1-IMG_1583.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 343
  • 1-IMG_1585.jpg
    1-IMG_1585.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 293
  • 1-IMG_1587.jpg
    1-IMG_1587.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 394
Interesting. I have old tools from various boxes, many just like those, some same type, but not identical. Very similar hand vise, with patent dates, indicators of the type you showed plus different ones, a number of Slocomb mics old enough to have patent dates in the 1800s and early 1900s, same type Stanley level, and same type Starrett as well, .

Also a Gerstner box of that general type. But mine has a leatherette type covering. Gerstner showed nothing to match it, and others have said it is NOT a Gerstner, despite the decal, and the typical pencil markings inside, but it must be a variety of O31.

Dale

Your Speed Indicator is a Starrett 104. The 1905 patent was an improvement which allowed the user to depress the disk,against a spring, to reset the dial. This eliminated loosening the screw to reset the indicator. The 104 number continued, for this model, to modern times when it was replaced by an EDP number.

Steve

Steve -

Thanks for the information. I have another one and will have to look and see if it is the 'newer' version. Used it once or twice over the years.

Dale

Back