What's new
What's new

Tree Journeyman 310

chadspendlove

Plastic
I am completely knew to the CNC milling process I have used manual mills very little but have the basic understanding of a mill.

I have the opportunity to buy a tree Journeyman 310 with the dyna20 controller. The guy I'm buying it from doesn't have 3phase and used a single phase to 3 phase rotary however the 310 would run everything but the spindle. The spindle spins freely and doesn't bind and when he tried to make the controller spin the spindle it would act like it wanted to buy wouldn't spin a full revolution I have the chance to buy the mill and rotary phase converter for $2500 I wanted to know if a VFD wired straight to the motor would fix that issue. I will need to run the machine from a rotary phase also because I don't and ant get 3phase into my garage.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this. I am happy to spend the money for the machine the machine looks very well taken care of and the power cabinets look brand new there is no yellowing or burn marks on any of the connections.

Would this be a smart move to invest in or should I pass? I will also be taking some CNC courses at the local college to help bring me up to speed more quickly. I figured until I know and understand the coding process I'll just run it with the controller manually until I trust myself to run it in auto.

I am completely knew to the CNC milling process I have used manual mills very little but have the basic understanding of a mill.

I have the opportunity to buy a tree Journeyman 310 with the dyna20 controller. The guy I'm buying it from doesn't have 3phase and used a single phase to 3 phase rotary however the 310 would run everything but the spindle. The spindle spins freely and doesn't bind and when he tried to make the controller spin the spindle it would act like it wanted to buy wouldn't spin a full revolution I have the chance to buy the mill and rotary phase converter for $2500 I wanted to know if a VFD wired straight to the motor would fix that issue. I will need to run the machine from a rotary phase also because I don't and ant get 3phase into my garage.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this. I am happy to spend the money for the machine the machine looks very well taken care of and the power cabinets look brand new there is no yellowing or burn marks on any of the connections.

Would this be a smart move to invest in or should I pass? I will also be taking some CNC courses at the local college to help bring me up to speed more quickly. I figured until I know and understand the coding process I'll just run it with the controller manually until I trust myself to run it in auto.
$2500 is a lot of money for a cnc scribe machine.
Ask him how much he will pay you to take of his hands.

I’m your Huckleberry, I’ve owned several of those Tree mills over the years. They are Czech Iron with an American Dynapath control , Good machines for what they do. As far as the spindle, climb up and you will see two levers that allow the belts from the motor to the spindle to be adjusted. If they are too lose or missing the motor could be running without turning the spindle. I run a Wire EDM, a machining center, surface grinder and a LeBlond lathe on a single large rotary phase converter. How many HP is the phase converter rated for ? The Dynapath uses an easy to learn conversational format. You just have to be patient and keep trying and you will pick it up pretty quickly. I like them and you can also import programs written on a PC with some cam software.

Do you have an estimate to move it...I paid $253 for a J325 but by the time it sat in my shop it was $1500. I use an Unidrive for a VFD but today there are other choices that would be better. For $2500 I'd want the hear the spindle turning

Do you have an estimate to move it...I paid $253 for a J325 but by the time it sat in my shop it was $1500. I use an Unidrive for a VFD but today there are other choices that would be better. For $2500 I'd want the hear the spindle turning
I moved it myself with a 6k gradall forklift and then I used a pallet jack to move it around in my garage and get it situated on its mounting brackets I build to help level it and keep it from shacking, I then used a VFD to run the Spindle and then I rewired the machine so that the machine its self runs off of 240 so I only need to supply power to the computer, servo motors and the new 110V pump, I also ran a light so I can see my part better. The machine runs perfect I just don't know how to run any type of the G-Code so I just manually do everything for now. Ay recommendations on studying G-Code or videos to watch to learn how to run a CNC machine. I'm thinking of just taking the CNC program the the local college offers just so I can learn how to run it properly.

I had a Tree 220 and thought it was a good machine for what it was. The Dynapath is a thing unto itself. You wont find any schools teaching your Dynapath code. Search the www for any manual you can come up with. Especially a programming one. Maybe ask the previous owner for some help. Hopefully he passed on some cheat sheets for you.

Be advised that programming and running a CNC machine is not something you learn overnight or over year. It's a process, and it takes lots of time.

I had a Tree 220 and thought it was a good machine for what it was. The Dynapath is a thing unto itself. You wont find any schools teaching your Dynapath code. Search the www for any manual you can come up with. Especially a programming one. Maybe ask the previous owner for some help. Hopefully he passed on some cheat sheets for you.

Be advised that programming and running a CNC machine is not something you learn overnight or over year. It's a process, and it takes lots of time.
I would like to state that I know I can never be as good as you full time operators (machines) I am fully aware that you guys have a talent and skills that most people don't have any that a true machinest is just as good as any Dr, lawyer or any of those Ivory class jobs. I have the most respect and just awe at what you guys/gals can build, I know that since I will never be able to learn and understand the machine's the way you can and that unless I dedicate as much time and value into it as you guys have I will never be able to run one like you guys can, and I have the most respect and gratitude for any pointers or help and I am grateful for everyone that has taken their own time to help me. Thank you!! I will look for some manuals and no the previous owner couldn't get the machine to run and he bought it from an auction from a school out of Wyoming. So I will look up the dyna path manuals and do my best to understand what I can. Thank you again for helping me out.

The Dynapath is a thing unto itself. You wont find any schools teaching your Dynapath code.
We're gonna have a litle bit of a dustup over this, Bunky! Dynapath is the descendant of the guy who invented nc and then cnc. It's totally standard, it's that jap shit that is the weird "thing unto itself". :eek:

Anyhoo, Bendix is very straightforward, nice to use, easy to learn, good for a first control. Should not be a problem.

Search the www for any manual you can come up with. Especially a programming one.
The bendix manuals were not half-bad, anything from a 5 or newer will carry over.

They are basically the same as current, except for the conversational aspect. The programming manuals I found to be the clearest were for American Tool. They are for lathes but everything is the same except for one more axis. All the principles carry over and their descriptions are exceptionally clear, if you can find a manual for a Bendix 5 on any American Tool lathe.

You'll want some sort of 2 axis cad program even in the beginning. Trig is a pain in the rear :) The cad program will also make a lot of the geometry of cnc make more sense. Machine programming is really just a giant geometry problem.

We're gonna have a litle bit of a dustup over this, Bunky! Dynapath is the descendant of the guy who invented nc and then cnc. It's totally standard, it's that jap shit that is the weird "thing unto itself". :eek:

Anyhoo, Bendix is very straightforward, nice to use, easy to learn, good for a first control. Should not be a problem.

The bendix manuals were not half-bad, anything from a 5 or newer will carry over.

They are basically the same as current, except for the conversational aspect. The programming manuals I found to be the clearest were for American Tool. They are for lathes but everything is the same except for one more axis. All the principles carry over and their descriptions are exceptionally clear, if you can find a manual for a Bendix 5 on any American Tool lathe.

You'll want some sort of 2 axis cad program even in the beginning. Trig is a pain in the rear :) The cad program will also make a lot of the geometry of cnc make more sense. Machine programming is really just a giant geometry problem.
What are you on?
The mill conversational programing is nothing like a lathe. I would advise you to find a manual or purchase one from DynaPath. There are a lot of things you can do with the conversational control but it is not intuitive, at least it wasn't for me

Ha... thought I might have to dig out my Windows 98 computer to find one, but here is a Dyna 10M program for something I did ages ago. I see that it's using the same codes as we use now, but in their own special Dynapath way. I thought I remembered the code being odd, but most of that probably had to do with this being my first CNC machine. The 220 was only 2 axis with manual quill, which was a great way to start.

So yeah... same but different. You had to hit a button when drilling to tell the machine to go to the next coordinate. I rounded up an old guitar foot pedal to use instead. Only broke off a couple drills using it. :-0

(P0000000)
N0005(T)MILL PERF PLATE$
N0007(T)DRILL 3/8$
N0008(9)M03$
N0009(9)M08$
N0010(0)X-11.2314Y0G1$
N0020(0)Y1.5G1$
N0030(0)X-9.4973Y6G1$
N0040(0)X-4.2948Y10.5G1$
N0050(0)X-2.5607Y11G1$
N0060(0)X2.5607G1$
N0070(0)X4.2948Y10.5G1$
N0080(0)X9.4973Y6G1$
N0090(0)X11.2314Y1.5G1$
N0100(0)Y0.5G1$
N0102(T)3/8 END MILL$
N0105(9)M09$
N0110(9)M06$
N0112(9)M03$
N0115(9)M08$
N0120(0)X-11.8095Y0G1$
N0130(0)X.5031/G1$
N0140(1)X.653/F30G0$
N0150(9)M00$
N0160(6)F130T19$
N0170(0)X-.0749/Y0.5/G0$
N0180(0)X-.5031/G1$
N0190(1)X-.653/G0$
N0200(9)M00$
N0210(6)F180T18$
N0220(0)X-1.0811/Y.5/G0$
N0230(6)F130T11$
N0240(9)M09$
N0250(9)M30$
END

You had to hit a button when drilling to tell the machine to go to the next coordinate. I rounded up an old guitar foot pedal to use instead.
MTB implementation, that's not inherent to the dynapath ... they did put them on a lot of basic, low-end machines so I can see that happening.

It's not a feature of the control itself :)

All those (0,9,6) thingies must be machine builder things too, never seen them on a ... how to say this gently ? more 'upscale' machine tool :D.

If I remember correctly, that is how a conversational program is output. The DynaPath I used could also use G code or EIA as the manual referred to it. I believe you could insert G codes into the conversational programs if you couldn't do what you wanted with the conversational.

I think Ox seemed to be knowledgeable about programing DynaPath machines.

Lathe and mill G code are quite different. Look at G73 for example.

Last edited:
Lathe and mill G code are quite different. Look at G73 for example.
No, they are the same. G00, G01, G02, G03, G04, all do the same things. M00, M03, M04, M08, same. F's, S'es, all that same.

Some stuff doesn't exist on a lathe, so yeah, the canned cycles will be different. You aren't going to be boring arrays of holes on a lathe but if you understand the basics on either one, the other will make perfect sense. You aren't going to be threading on a mill either, so G33 is not applicable but that doesn't change 90% of the commands.

No, they are the same. G00, G01, G02, G03, G04, all do the same things. M00, M03, M04, M08, same. F's, S'es, all that same.

Some stuff doesn't exist on a lathe, so yeah, the canned cycles will be different. You aren't going to be boring arrays of holes on a lathe but if you understand the basics on either one, the other will make perfect sense. You aren't going to be threading on a mill either, so G33 is not applicable but that doesn't change 90% of the commands.

The canned cycles are why you need a manual. Who the hell is looking up what G01 does?

Hey... searching for something else I ran across this Programming cheat sheet for Dynapth System 10. Might help someone along the way. Not sure how many control versions it's relative to. Still here it is. Has a lot of info.

Attachments

• Tree Programming Guide.pdf
    193.2 KB · Views: 2

Back