What's new
What's new

Troubleshooting 6061 parting - existing proven program&tooling

Note that any through tool coolant app will require AT LEAST one inline filter/housing - ESPECIALLY with aluminum!
If you are hopijng to run coolant through for a cut-off, you might want to think about a 2 stage system of bag filters. Otherwise it will be plugged up all the time.

I would see if modifying the coolant lines wouldn't get you where you wunna go first.
Even if that antails getting some 1/4" / 5/16" copper line and compression fittings...

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Note that any through tool coolant app will require AT LEAST one inline filter/housing - ESPECIALLY with aluminum!
If you are hopijng to run coolant through for a cut-off, you might want to think about a 2 stage system of bag filters. Otherwise it will be plugged up all the time.

I would see if modifying the coolant lines wouldn't get you where you wunna go first.
Even if that antails getting some 1/4" / 5/16" copper line and compression fittings...

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

We do have through tool via the tool holding blocks on both lathes, with bag filters and a high pressure pump. I run through coolant on our boring bars and modular drills already! Is it different for the parting system?

Regardless, some copper line and compression fittings would be an upgrade from what I currently have, and with the right sized nozzle and high pressure coolant I'm sure I could make it quite effective

Well, only difference is that these holes may be smaller = plug easier.

IDK what size holes you have currently, but if you are comparing to a 1" insert drill or boring bar, the hole(s) for the cut-off are going to be a LOT smaller.

Even tho I have bags on mine, somehow ... a few chunky ones git through anyhow.
I don't git it...

But I would exhaust the coolant line thing before trying to go with the other...

BUT - if you doo go with the CTT option, please update us as you go as to how it's working!

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Well, only difference is that these holes may be smaller = plug easier.

IDK what size holes you have currently, but if you are comparing to a 1" insert drill or boring bar, the hole(s) for the cut-off are going to be a LOT smaller.

Even tho I have bags on mine, somehow ... a few chunky ones git through anyhow.
I don't git it...

But I would exhaust the coolant line thing before trying to go with the other...

BUT - if you doo go with the CTT option, please update us as you go as to how it's working!

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Our 3/8" carbide boring bar looks to have a fairly similar diameter to the coolant holes in the Iscar through coolant blade, but I'll have to ask the rep about that to be sure! The high pressure seems to do a good job of forcing through any small particles to stop them building up and jamming in the through coolant hole so far.

I will update again when I can do some coolant management either way!

Reactions: Ox
No hardness tester here, closest thing I have is monitoring spindle load during the drilling OP which isn't going to tell me what I need to know hahah.
You could get a piece of the previous material and a piece of the new material and bang them together on an edge, the resulting 'ding' size will give an indication of comparative hardness.
Not very scientific I know but it does work.

I will attach some photos, it is a finish I have seen a few people fight against. The typical golf ball/smearing in 6061 and then chatters as you increase SFM.

Came across this unusual partoff tool and remembered this thread, so maybe if anyone in future besides spammers uses the search, it'd be something to try. Don't know if it would help this case but possibly rolling the chip away may help in some cases?

weirdpartoff.jpg

Back