What's new
What's new

Trying to find heating iron for a tool I'm building

Frenchy

Aluminum
A bit of a random question but I'm trying to find an electric iron (basically like a clothes iron) that's just the heating element mounted in an aluminum housing without a handle that's meant to be mounted to a machine. If I need to I can make my own but if it's an off the shelf part that's available I'd rather just buy it. So far I haven't had any luck finding anything. Here's a crappy picture from a screenshot to show what I'm talking about. It's probably right around 2.5" x 4" or so and would want to be 110v. Thanks in advance for any info.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230202-114250-488.png
    Screenshot_20230202-114250-488.png
    306.6 KB · Views: 26
Usually you'd figure out how many watts you need then you'd buy cartridge heaters then you'd put them in what you're needing to heat or you'd make a block to hold the cartridge heaters and bolt to whatever you're trying to heat.

Usually you'd figure out how many watts you need then you'd buy cartridge heaters then you'd put them in what you're needing to heat or you'd make a block to hold the cartridge heaters and bolt to whatever you're trying to heat.
I'm thinking this is what I'll end up doing but I just thought if I could find the finished unit off the shelf it's one less thing I need to make.

A bit of a random question but I'm trying to find an electric iron (basically like a clothes iron) that's just the heating element mounted in an aluminum housing without a handle that's meant to be mounted to a machine. If I need to I can make my own but if it's an off the shelf part that's available I'd rather just buy it. So far I haven't had any luck finding anything. Here's a crappy picture from a screenshot to show what I'm talking about. It's probably right around 2.5" x 4" or so and would want to be 110v. Thanks in advance for any info.
That's the perfect photo quality for Conrad!

cartridge heaters (like the watlow recommendation above) are off the shelf
either they are inserted in the machine or into a heat spreader attached to the machine.

figuring out the conduction path's heat transfer (if in metal) or the convection heat transfer (if in liquid) to the wattage and voltage is part and parcel of the job
as is feedback and control

Back