What's new
What's new

Trying to get my laser toolsetter up on DMG DMC103V 840D

markp

Hot Rolled
Ive got a 2000 DMC 103v with 840D control. Had it a year and a half and after poking around, figured out how to get the laser toolsetter to work when I got it. Just load the tool and enter M91 in MDI to have the length offset loaded into the offset page for that tool.

I got partway through setting the tools in the carousel that day, and the plastic airlines going to the shutters/air knifes cracked and blew under the table so I just did it with a dial type tool setter till today when I went and replaced the lines.

Ive been setting tools like this:

Tool 1 is a haimer, I load tool 1, then dial down to 0 on a 4” gage block on the table. Then I set the “scratch” value in Z to 0. This changes the WCS to 0. Then I set any new tools off a dial toolsetter on the table that zeros at 4”.

For some reason, I have to set my tool length to 0 in the “tool list” and clear any previous offset for each tool before I enter the offset value in the control that I see when the tool is at 0 on the dial toolsetter. Also, Tool 1 has to be set to "0" offset in the tool list for this to work.

This works fine, but Id rather use the toolsetter option.

Today, when using the laser, I loaded a toolholder in pocket 1 with a gage pin that was exactly the same length as the haimer (when it reaches its zero point in my desktop toolsetter.)I then used the laser toolsetter to set that tool with an M91 command.

I then used the laser to set the other tools. Seems to work ok, except had a hard time with really small endmills or drills (less than .1”).

What I assumed I could do, now that all the tools are referenced to the same length, was load tool 1 with the gage pin, bring it down to the 4” dial toolsetter, set the Z to 0 in “scratch” , than check to make sure all the tools are reading 0 at the same height.

Problem is when I try to do that, I get a flash of 0, then it loads what seems to be the distance from the laser measuring point to the 4” dial toolsetter, 8.4”

I also tried setting the offsets to 0 before using the laser to measure the offset. Same result, also the same number. 8.4”. (also tried setting tool 1 at "0"like I was doing with the manual setting system above, same 8.4" offset).

Can anyone guess what Im missing? DMG claims to know less than zero about their own toolsetter. This is not a BLUM, it’s a DMG option.

I have a full set of manuals and none of this is in the manuals, except one line describing M91 as the laser tool length command. The rest I just figured out.

Not sure what that is exactly. I did figure out how to do it in the end. Brain was kinda fried yesterday after crawling around inside the machine to replace the old shutter hoses, they were rotted by the coolant when it sat for 18yrs unused.
Heres how to do:

I loaded tool 1 with the hammer (set to the same height as the gage pin tool). Set to top of part. In "scratch" I see 8.4207 in WCS for Z. I enter 8.4207 in Z row, press enter. The Z wsc is now set to 0 and all the other tools are set to 0 as they were all set by the toolsetter.

Only problem now is that tools smaller than .1" wont set correctly. Ive got a funky Baluff setup that puts the laser emitter /recievers about 4' apart! I see the accuracy for Z height is pretty good. about .0003 differences in tool height on flat tooling, less than the width off the manual dial toolsetter arm.

I guess I still have to set really small tools and maybe ball mills manually. Drills and chamfer tools seem to be about .006 off. I guess I could get into the parameters and find the one for Y offset and adjust. Anyone done that? Maybe just leave well enough alone, huh?

Back