What's new
What's new

Turning a tungsten anti tank round into a wedding band.

dakka927

Plastic
Looking for advice or whether this is possible.

My partner and I are getting married next year. I am a member of the British forces and I have always like the idea of having a tungsten wedding band as the material has significant meaning to me through my job role.

Tungsten alloy rings can be bought from various online stores but would it be possible to machine the dart from an 120mm Armour Peircing Fin Stabilsed Discarding Sabot round into a wedding band?

If it is possible where would you suggest I go to try to get this achieved?

Cheers for your time.

In case it matters to you, tungsten bands fracture remarkably easily. If not, then carry on and (almost) congrats!

In case it matters to you, tungsten bands fracture remarkably easily. If not, then carry on and (almost) congrats!
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I'm aware it's brittle, one of the reasons I was asking if it can/if its worth attempting to machine it.

Realsitically I'd more than likely wear a silicon band whilst working and have this as a dress ring or when I'm not doing anything too strenuous.

I must say this sounds like an awesome idea! I would look for a small sized company that makes cutting tools from tungsten carbide, they would likely have the equipment to do it.

I have a tungsten wedding band, they aren't all that fragile, I haven't broken it yet. You have the right idea not to wear it while working though. Yours will be significantly more expensive than a regular tungsten ring.

Find a business with a hole popper and wire wire EDM. Get them to cut off a slice with the wire EDM pop a hole through the central and then cut out the diameters. Be prepared for a lot of questions. I don't know where in the UK you are based but my first port of call would be a local tool room, even if they can't do the job they will know someone that can. On second thought go to the armoury and ask the gun tiffy if he knows anyone locally, make sure he is not one of those officious ones that think it's dangerous.

Find a business with a hole popper and wire wire EDM. Get them to cut off a slice with the wire EDM pop a hole through the central and then cut out the diameters. Be prepared for a lot of questions. I don't know where in the UK you are based but my first port of call would be a local tool room, even if they can't do the job they will know someone that can. On second thought go to the armoury and ask the gun tiffy if he knows anyone locally, make sure he is not one of those officious ones that think it's dangerous.
Good shout, I'll talk to some REME mates and see if they can point me in the right direction.

Don't know about UK ammo, but I read that some 120 mm anti-tank rounds used by the American and French armies have depleted uranium penetrators, said to be more effective than tungsten in that application. Probably not a good material for a wedding ring, though.

Larry
I appreciate the concern. My job is dealing with UXO and my ammuniton recognition is quite solid. The dart isn't DU.

I appreciate the concern. My job is dealing with UXO and my ammuniton recognition is quite solid. The dart isn't DU.
OT I was a 20mm gunner on a IFV as an armourer and we used to remove the heads off 20mm AP tracer rounds. Procedure was pry out the projectile then fasten it in a vice and pierce the aluminium partition at the rear with a punch. Once it had stopped burning we could grab it with two pairs of vice grips and unscrew the two halves that were held together with Loctite take out the tungsten perpetrator then polish. Last step was fasten a grenade pull ring to the back. Voila a key ring. A armourer in another unit decided to do it also only problem he tried to brake the Loctite with a oxy torch and the round was a HE. Blew his thumb off and wounded the two idiots wielding the vice grips. Lucky not to kill everyone, from memory the killing radius is something like 2 meters. Needless to say he had to front a court martial. It's amazing what a bored group of young men lying around in the bush waiting for the shit to start will get up to.

I wonder if you are aware of a 1979 ITV series called Danger UXB. It tells the story of some very brave men in WWII England and is based on a book written by a retired RE Major. I found it fascinating when US public TV showed it here. I still remember the portable steam boiler used to muck out the explosive charge from a big German bomb.

Larry

I wonder if you are aware of a 1979 ITV series called Danger UXB. It tells the story of some very brave men in WWII England and is based on a book written by a retired RE Major. I found it fascinating when US public TV showed it here. I still remember the portable steam boiler used to muck out the explosive charge from a big German bomb.

Larry
Unfortunately it's a little before my time.

There was a channel 4 documentary that followed a few of my peers around for a bit but the concensus amongst the troops is they wished they'd sod off. Haha.

I think they make bands from metorite tungsten don't they? those companies must know how to do it.
Bill D
first company with good pictures. not an endorsement etc. etc.
[URL

I read about 73 eastings recently when a baddy decided to take on a M1A1 Abraham’s main battle tank with a RPG, a nervy gunner pulled the trigger on the main gun as soon as he heard fire, it’s not normal practice to shoot with the main gun, fire machine gun was the actual order but there we go, 72 virgins I suppose, though I don’t think I’d like to be shot with a sabot round myself.
I’ve found tungsten to be reasonably tough myself!
Mark

Larry
I very much enjoyed watching that series. Shows a brave group of men and that wars don’t really end with a declaration.

They still steam the ( torpex?) out, they rotabroached and steamed a “ Satan” down the street when I was in London, got dug up during building.
Guys carrying buckets of bomb guts and loading onto a truck for bang bang
Brave guys
Mark

My high school ring is gold, probably 12 karat or so. It cracked from practicing fancy rifle movements when I was part of a college drill team. Spun the rifle with my right hand and stopped it with my left: instant cracked ring. Gold rings are not all that strong.

So, tungsten may be no worse and possibly even better.

I am thinking that electrical discharge machining (spark erosion) might be a way of making this. You might look for a shop that has the equipment for that. Or what about water jet or laser processes?

I must say this sounds like an awesome idea! I would look for a small sized company that makes cutting tools from tungsten carbide, they would likely have the equipment to do it.

I have a tungsten wedding band, they aren't all that fragile, I haven't broken it yet. You have the right idea not to wear it while working though. Yours will be significantly more expensive than a regular tungsten ring.

First off, are we talking tungsten or tungsten carbide? Most wedding rings I’ve dealt with, are tungsten carbide. I’ve broken one by slapping my hand onto a piece of steel too hard, but they’re fairly scratch resistant. Doable to work your own, but you’ll want to do it with diamond.

On the other hand, tungsten is more dense than tungsten carbide, so might make more sense for a round. If just straight tungsten, simply turn it on a lathe. A few years ago I needed some custom size tungsten cylinders for internal balancing. I shipped the order to our internal shop expecting a grind, and got back a turned part. Apparently they bought some tungsten rods from McMaster Carr , who states that it’s only 35 HRC. The tooling guy sold them an insert (that didn’t look all that unusual) and it cut without incident.

Back