What's new
What's new

Type of Oil in Headstock of Whacheon WL-435 Lathe

jbacc

Hot Rolled
Good Morning, All,

I know this subject has probably been beat to death but I have done quite a bit of searching and I see varying opinions on what type and weight oil to use in these lathes. I checked the manual and it recommends Daphne Mechanics oil 44, I can't find that oil and I am not sure what weight it is. In the same manual, it lists a few comparable oils and every one seems to be a misspelling/misinformation or no longer available so needless to say, I am confused which admittedly, is not a difficult thing to do.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Joe

I use Mobil DTE light.

The back of my Whacheon lathe, anyway, has a big nameplate that lists the oil types.

I use Mobil DTE light.

The back of my Whacheon lathe, anyway, has a big nameplate that lists the oil types.
Thank you for your assistance, Greg. I read of several others using Mobil DTE light and some using DTE medium which is why I made my inquiry.

Thanks again,

Joe

I also added some red/pink oil dye to my oil. Without it, it's practically impossible to see the oil level on the sight glass. The dye is surprising hard to find but people sell it on Ebay.

Back