What's new
What's new

U.S. Electrical Tool Co. 12" Pedestal Grinder

Shouldn't be too hard to find a shop to rewind it for 220 volts. Probably easier (and maybe even cheaper) than messing around with a voltage transformer.

Andy

That was my conclusion. I spent a few months looking for a supposedly "easy to find" transformer: 220 to 575v. All were a lot more than a rewind. Plus I already has 3 circuits in my shop, 110v, 220v, 208v 3ph. Any more and I'd just be confused.

I did take precautions to have different outlet styles on each, so its impossible to plug into the wrong circuit. My electrician though I was nuts.

Funny though:
110v receptacles are dirt cheap at Home Depot.
220v versions were about $25 each. "well, they are high voltage"...uh huh, and all those European homes?? Paid $4 each on Amazon.

3 ph were even more fun.

At my last job a fellow from production came into the grinding room and tried to polish his diamond ring on a wire wheel.. Yes it went up the stack. He said it cost almost $2,000 and then it was gone.

Very nice grinder. I’m sure you will like it. I have one that I use all the time.

I had been looking for a large pedestal grinder for a long time. Everyone I found was 3 phase. My buddy’s dad passed and he had this old grinder that was in pieces which he gave to me. The pedestal grinder is made by Builders Iron Foundry and is probably early 1900 vintage. Very heavy cast base. The sleeve bearings have been replaced with pillow blocks. It was originally a line shaft machine with Babbitt bearings. The shaft has been modified for a v-belt pulley and a plate was installed to mount a motor. It has 12” x 2” x 24 grit and 12” x 1-1/2” x 36 grit wheels. The motor is a big old 1 HP single phase unit. I had to fabricate one wheel guard for it. It may look Frankenstein-ish but it works great.

Attachments

• ped2.jpg
    ped2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 432
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,050
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 526
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 306
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 360
I have a quote of $500.00 minimum charge to rewind the motor at a local shop. Without having ever seen what goes into such a job, it's difficult to understand whether that's a fair price or not. I suspect that it is. Even though I am self-employed, when guys like us are looking for a highly specialized service, it's too easy to undervalue that service because of the cost. I won't use this particular motor repair shop, only because of his shitty attitude over the phone. I didn't tell him who I was, although, I have given him some work over the last couple of years. When I told him what I had bought, and had goofed on the voltage.... his reply was... " Well, I guess you're shit out of luck. "

So, I reply with.... " Is this an electrical motor repair shop ? ... and do you rewind motors in house ? .... his reply... " Of course we do... !!! "

What an arse... !!!! Even if it would cost me more at another repair shop, he's lost any future business with me.

Ok, stop your ranting, Brian....:willy_nilly:

So, I will take the motor to another shop for a rewind. I don't need to add, yet another, "illegal" piece of equipment to my electrical wiring for the insurance company .

The next shop that I called was a world of difference. Real friendly and helpful with no problem in helping me out. Ballpark... $300.00 minimum.

I'll let you know how I made out in the end.

Cheers... :)

Brian

I have a quote of $500.00 minimum charge to rewind the motor at a local shop. Without having ever seen what goes into such a job, it's difficult to understand whether that's a fair price or not. I suspect that it is. Even though I am self-employed, when guys like us are looking for a highly specialized service, it's too easy to undervalue that service because of the cost. I won't use this particular motor repair shop, only because of his shitty attitude over the phone. I didn't tell him who I was, although, I have given him some work over the last couple of years. When I told him what I had bought, and had goofed on the voltage.... his reply was... " Well, I guess you're shit out of luck. "

So, I reply with.... " Is this an electrical motor repair shop ? ... and do you rewind motors in house ? .... his reply... " Of course we do... !!! "

What an arse... !!!! Even if it would cost me more at another repair shop, he's lost any future business with me.

Ok, stop your ranting, Brian....:willy_nilly:

So, I will take the motor to another shop for a rewind. I don't need to add, yet another, "illegal" piece of equipment to my electrical wiring for the insurance company .

The next shop that I called was a world of difference. Real friendly and helpful with no problem in helping me out. Ballpark... $300.00 minimum.

I'll let you know how I made out in the end.

Brian

I paid $350 in toronto, which is rarely the cheapest place to get labour. :)
A lot of the cost was copper wire though, which will be roughly the same.

So that was cheaper and simpler than getting a transformer and hence more complicated circuits.

Admittedly this was more than I paid for the grinder itself.

I found that US Electric still in business and still selling the same unit
Industrial Pedestal Grinders
Pretty impressive that 40+ years later, the same item is still available. Not high tech, but very good.

Mine came without the cool eye shields. So I enquired about buying new ones....the cost was over USD1,000!
http://www.uselectricaltool.com/images/illeyeh.jpg

Clearly not affordable.

I found a local surplus shop that sells lexan boards used behind NHL goalies. Its about 1/2 think and makes nice shields.

Seems that I used one old grinder now forgotten the name but in its motor book it had a diagram of wire solder points to make it for different voltages. Yes all three phase. Hope that was not just a bad dream.Thought it was the old cincinnati motor but might have been another.
That is why I suggested you call the company.

"Not high tech, but very good." The tables mounting is the best I have ever seen.

MISC COMMENTS:

You might find a VFD is cheaper than a rewind

A woodworking dust collector, you can put a small "Oneida" cyclone right after the grinder and put 2 inches of water in the bottom of the cyclone.

Wheels.... decide what you're going to grind. I have a 14" US Electric Tool, that I was only going to snag tool steel on.

I called Eagle Abrasives in Chicago: they set me up with a 16/24 ruby / white on one side and a 46 ruby on the other..... it's been fantastic. Considering how fast it cuts, way smarter and ultimately cheaper than an off the shelf wheel from McMaster, ENCO or etc.

Balance on the Eagle wheels was perfect, right out of the box. Run-out, hardly worthy of note.

Cyclotronguy

Hope you called them.

Hello again Buck :)

Yes, as a matter of fact, I did call them this morning. I spoke to a fellow by the name of Bob Wallace. He was the nicest and most helpful guy you'd ever want to talk to. At first, I expected a very hurried phone call, as this isn't making him direct money, but he was in no hurry at all, and told me all about the history of the company, how everything was still made in the U.S., even all of the castings are still being cast in the same plant that was casting cannon barrels for the civil war. Most of the bearings come from either Canada or Mexico, but everything else is U.S. made. Clearly, I'm not a U.S. citizen, but it still made me feel good to learn that there are still some long-lived companies out there, producing top quality goods for this market.

After our conversation, I have decided to leave the motor as it is, and see if I can find a voltage transformer to suit my needs. So, for now, I will get it shined up and fix a few small items and give it a "Rustoleum" paint job.

Brian

Snow might have one used 423-894-6234
Im sure there are some around Detroit to be had for a song but finding one when you need it.. That is priceless.

"Rustoleum" paint job. Be sure to prime and paint. the extra $5 or so is worth it.

Hello Frank :)

To be honest with you, I was so anxious to purchase the grinder, that I didn't notice the voltage. I knew that it was 3-phase. Before I saw your post, I installed a plug on the end of the cord for the grinder, hooked up my RPC and it started right up. I didn't run it for more than 30 seconds or so, and then turned it off.

By what I've read, it looks like I would need a voltage transformer.... not looking like such a good deal now... :o

Brian

If it spins up quickly enough, doesn't overheat during your typical usage, and doesn't bog down during your typical usage, I would ignore the voltage discrepancy.

Please keep in mind you are running the grinder on 50hz, not 60hz, eh?

Give it 480 volts and 50hz and you will be fine. Canada is 50hz, right?

Well, I'm finally back with the results. I ended up getting the motor rewound. The shop that I took it to, had it since the middle of August and I only got it back a week ago. I kept getting... "It'll be ready next week, for sure."

The rewind, plus two new bearings cost me $542.00 Cad, taxes in. Way more than I wanted to spend. With all the bullshit this guy gave me, I'll never take any future work to him.

But, the grinder winds right up in an instant and the heaters seem to be holding just fine. Mind you, I haven't had it under load yet.

The grinder cost me $150.00 initially, but I'd be hard pressed to ever get my money out of it, if I were to sell it. I learned a hard lesson to make sure to check the voltages...

I'm happy with the grinder and am sure that it will oulast me. Here are a few pics of it all back together...

Grinder%205_zps8vg0omyn.jpg

Grinder%206_zpsnd5ufx17.jpg

Grinder%203_zpsh6hwb54b.jpg

Grinder%201_zpsmrlsddpo.jpg

Grinder%204_zpsx57u1ow1.jpg

Brian :)

Hey Brian, it looks great!

I assume you've been using it for a while now. How do you like it?

Mine has been used only with a 12" wire wheel - to clean up rusty parts. Well, until last weekend. Its now set up to actually grind and sharpen my chisels.

Overall I really like it but still need to balance the wheel better.

Olaf

Hey Brian, it looks great!

I assume you've been using it for a while now. How do you like it?

Mine has been used only with a 12" wire wheel - to clean up rusty parts. Well, until last weekend. Its now set up to actually grind and sharpen my chisels.

Overall I really like it but still need to balance the wheel better.

Olaf

Hi Olaf,

I really like it. I replaced the one wire wheel with a 2"x12" stone, so now I have two grits that will satisfy my needs at the present. I ended up having to upgrade the heaters, as the lower amperage ones that came with it couldn't handle the higher amps. I bought them locally for less than $20.00 a piece.

I don't use my smaller grinders all that much anymore, except for very small items. I will build a couple of extra tool rests with some flexibility for angles and near zero clearance.

Brian

Hi, I'm in Fredericton NB and understand how little equipment is available in our area. I say you should be happy with your total cost and just use it. I'd love to have a 10 or 12" grinder like that but typically can only find them so far away that shipping plus the grinder would be well over what you have in that, even with the paint!!

Hi, I'm in Fredericton NB and understand how little equipment is available in our area. I say you should be happy with your total cost and just use it. I'd love to have a 10 or 12" grinder like that but typically can only find them so far away that shipping plus the grinder would be well over what you have in that, even with the paint!!

Yeah, supply of such old machinery is an difficult in canada.
I'm lucky that my father in law is in Geulph, very close to Cambridge and all the old ,manufacturing centres. So when i go there, i look for machinery.

But i agree that $5-600 for a grinder of this class is worth it.
Mine is now bench mounted since i dont have floor space.

image.jpg

I got lucky a few months ago a picked up the smallest Ford Smith grinder.
These are usually 550v, 5 hp monsters. Id never seen a 230v version before.

1 hp, 10" wheels. For only $50. Drove to K-W in a snowstorm to grab it. Never seen a 1 hp grinder before that weighs 200+ lbs. about 4 hours of work to clean it up.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Back