What's new
What's new

UC Riverside job posting

SAERiverside

Plastic
Hi everyone this job just posted and we want to see the best people apply. The old guy who used to have this job has health issues and has to retire. He says it is a great job with a great future and if you are a good all around machinist with some supervision experience you can make this into your dream job. The posting says you need a college degree, but if you have a lot of good experience you will qualify. That’s all I know, oh, good equipment and they are getting ready to buy more to keep current. We just want to see a great guy to help with out SAE team.:) Good benefits and pay.

UCR Jobs - Position Details

I just wanted to add to the original post. This is a great career position, very good pension, and benefits. The starting pay is $72,000 to $102,000 or more depending on your resume. It is a beautiful campus. If you like young people this is a rewarding job. Attitude is everything, positive and engaging can-do person can make this the best job ever. You work on amazing stuff and learn amazing stuff. You meet every kind of person 92% great :) but some :nutter: the Student groups are full of some of the best students you can imagine, they just need you. Don't let the UC posting stop you.... they want someone who does not exist.... but they are really looking for someone who can grow into the job if they have a good machining background. The college is undergoing some big changes in the M.E. department and you will help that become great. So apply and see.... we need you. I wish I knew more but I am just a student wanting to have a good teacher.

I was told this morning they have not gotten many applications for this job. Don't let what they are asking for stop you. If you are a good all around machinist and good with designing things this may be your dream job. thanks for looking !

Welcome to the forum

Personally, while I am browsing the help wanted advertisements, I'm just not that interested in California.........

I sure it would be good job for someone, but due to some state issues example: taxes, political ideology, current leadership / representatives, real-estate prices, .... etc....

My two cents.....That would be a solid "Nope, not gonna happen".

Welcome to the forum

Personally, while I am browsing the help wanted advertisements, I'm just not that interested in California.........

I sure it would be good job for someone, but due to some state issues example: taxes, political ideology, current leadership / representatives, real-estate prices, .... etc....

My two cents.....That would be a solid "Nope, not gonna happen".

Good, stay away.

The University is in the business of giving degrees, they don’t want to give a $100k job to people who don’t have a degree. However in the 25 years this department has been there they have not had a machinist who had a bachelors degree. They would like it and it would earn points but the reality is the guy they need has the experience and not the degree, they know it. And I think their pension and benefits are among the best. You will get to make a difference in a lot of young peoples lives, and work on a lot of cool projects. And our SAE team is pretty good too! Please apply we need you. Thanks

especially those who don't read the op's post :D

If you read the description it clearly says bachelors required. First, 99% of the people reading that who can do the job but dont have the paper are going to click out of the site and go on with life. And with most of these university jobs it is a real chore to apply. My school you will kill a couple hours with nonsense and sending over credentials. So the faint of heart dont apply.

Second it says bachelors required! (not suggested) this is often tied in with the accrediting body. To teach certain classes and certain levels you must have the paper or the credential issued to the student is a no go. Some student showing up and saying it isnt a big deal wont hold water on audit. And they are audited every 5? years. The only thing the management cares about is money, accreditation, and public image. That credential effects all 3.

They dont care how bad the instructor is (as long as complaints are not too heavy or vicious, assuming no title 9 complaints). As long as the instructor can sorta kinda teach if spoon fed material from some other instructor they forced (without extra pay) to prep/provide they forced to help. Assuming the instructor in front of the class has that paper.

I dont care what the post here written by a student says, the actual ad says bachelors required (under the education tab, didnt see in the ad any other mention) . I doubt the administration cares what the students says. I doubt the administration even know the student exists. Even if its true how many people look here vs the actual job posting?

This is typical college BS. If the job doesnt require something then dont say it does. Or say preferred. This is the kind of nonsense I have to deal with and it causes an unbelievable amount of trouble.

I dont care what the post here written by a student says, the actual ad says bachelors required (under the education tab, didnt see in the ad any other mention) . I doubt the administration cares what the students says. I doubt the administration even know the student exists. Even if its true how many people look here vs the actual job posting?

This is typical college BS. If the job doesnt require something then dont say it does. Or say preferred. This is the kind of nonsense I have to deal with and it causes an unbelievable amount of trouble.

I can tell you for a fact the machine manager at UCR who was hired in the mid 90's didn't have a degree, he was the Shop manager at a company I worked at, and I know he didn't have a degree.

Hi I don't want to get into an argument, but I talked to the Lab Manager this morning and asked him about this. Since there is not many bachelors degrees in Advanced machining the administration knows that a degree is really not needed for this job, and they even want a degree for gardeners, so what does that tell you. The old guy that has retired did not have a degree.... and that is what I know is true about this job. I think Medfab is right, Schools can be a pain in the ass to get hired at, but having a degree here at this one is not going to keep you from the job, not knowing what the hell you are doing will, but not having a degree will not. Lab manager said the job posting is a form that the department fills out, they just fill out what they want and then send it, they are in their own little world and think everyone that is a professional has a degree, but when they talk to a person that can do what they want ..... they forget about a degree, especially one that really doesn't exist. I know this a good job for somebody, and it is a pain to apply, these opportunities don't come along very often. The Lab manager also said that if you are interested in this kind of job to apply, that way you will get the experience of the whole process and will get some feedback on what you need to do to eventually get a job like this.

Good, stay away.

I have been; since 2004.
Bought 6500 square feet of free-standing building, zoned M1, dock height with ramp and 3 rollup doors for equivalent per foot price in 6-1/2 years compared to rent in Snowflakecentral.

Topping off negatives prompting your remark, and biggest impediment; contending with infantile student body. As George Carlin said, "Why are we listening to students? THEY'RE STUDENTS!". You know, the ones crying for control of this and that, driving around in a collection of vehicular infractions, often with a mask on.
But in line at the dispensary 6' social distancing is sufficient?
Like George Carlin said.......

I Snowflakecentral.

Topping off negatives prompting your remark, and biggest impediment; contending with infantile student body. As George Carlin said, "Why are we listening to students? THEY'RE STUDENTS!". You know, the ones crying for control of this and that, driving around in a collection of vehicular infractions, often with a mask on.
But in line at the dispensary 6' social distancing is sufficient?
Like George Carlin said.......

Well now I guess I resemble that description.....:Ithankyou:

You don't like California, yeah I get that. Don't believe a student saying a degree is not required.... I have asked everyone that is in charge with the hiring of this position, and it is not required, but they would like one. The position is a skilled position requiring much experience, that is not taught in a university. You think I and my classmates are infantile and crying for control. Ok, But we are a bunch of young people that are simply working to get an education in engineering, we do not have the silver spoon you think we have, it's plastic probably from Del Taco where we worked to earn money to go to school. So I want to get the best teacher that I can so I posted this add to get more of the type of people that can do the job, to apply. If you are not one of them, Ok I get it , You hate California, Snowflakes and infantile students.... This job would not be a good fit for you. You gave your opinion of this job and State, thank you. But to everyone that has an interest in this job please check it out it may be your dream job. They still have not gotten many applicants as of today so please apply...... if you can work with infants like me, and a good Research institution that is building up to the best they can be. So enjoy Missouri, I hear it is nice this time of year, hope business is good for you. Hey maybe in 3 years I will send you my resume. -

SAER, one of the most important attributes for posting here is a thick skin, and knowing who and when to ignore. Some of the posters also have a bit of a bias against the young, and against the educated, and you've unfortunately attracted a few of those types.

Forget 'em. They're not who you're looking for anyway.

BTW, if I was younger and on the West coast I'd be all over this. I supported the FSAE team of one of the Boston-area schools in the early 2010's, and had a blast. Hope you find the right person.

Back