What's new
What's new

Unsure about cam

Rusty nail

Plastic
I had been using inventor cam for about 6 years. Learned how to program with it. I thought it was really good cam software, Now I have changes companies and we use solidworks cam standard. I am really struggling with it. Is it just me or is solidworks cam horrible ?

Is it just me
Yes its all you.

Just kidding. 6 years is a long time on a package, hang in there and I'm sure things will improve. I've run a lot of CAM packages starting with MasterCAM v2 and I absolutely hated some of them for one reason or another but all got the job done.

Yes its all you.

Just kidding. 6 years is a long time on a package, hang in there and I'm sure things will improve. I've run a lot of CAM packages starting with MasterCAM v2 and I absolutely hated some of them for one reason or another but all got the job done.
Solidworks CAM cannot get the job done, though :LOL:

SW tries to be super smart and define features, tools, and toolpaths for you (kinda like Esprit, which can recognize turning features, part profiles, etc. automatically).

Except SW isn't super smart. The toolpaths it generates look like a kindergartner's art homework.

It's like asking one of the guys on the shop floor to square some stock to 1" x 2" x 3", and they said, "yup, sure, that'll be easy!"
You come back 1/2 an hour later to find the young buck, eyes beaming bright, holding up the finished block for your inspection. The block is 0.9" x 2.2" x 5", and one side of it is still saw-cut. It's out of square by .020" (.060" on that bandsawn side). Words cannot describe how utterly disappointed you are, but naive young buck is just as proud as could be, and thinks he's done a wonderful job.

That's what working with SW CAM is like.

Are you talking about SolidCam or something different?

I use Solidcam every day and really like it. If I didn't I'd immediately jump to one of the other CAM systems that people recommend.

15 years ago I tried BobCad and made it about a week before I moved to the next. It shouldn't take 6 years to figure what you're using isn't a good fit.

I use Solidcam every day and really like it. If I didn't I'd immediately jump to one of the other CAM systems that people recommend.

15 years ago I tried BobCad and made it about a week before I moved to the next. It shouldn't take 6 years to figure what you're using isn't a good fit.
If I read the OP correctly, he's talking about Solidworks' internal CAM that comes with a standard seat - not SolidCAM.

I was talking about solidworks cam, the 6 years I was talking about was inventor cam (as stated above) I liked it!

Solidworks CAM is just rebranded Camworks. Dassault and Camworks made an agreement to include Solidworks CAM with Solidworks. Soldiworks CAM is fairly limited compared to the features of CAMworks.

I have worked for two companies where CAMworks has been the main CAM software. It's the CAM that I have used the most, and the first company paid to have me attend Camworks training.

That being said, CAMworks is the most counter intuitive piece of software I have come across. I simply can't comprehend that's it's a real product.

Will it get the job done? Yes.

Will it spit out correct code? Yes.

Will you get used to the software after 6-12 months, and learn all its quirks? Yes.

Overall the main reason why they continue to exist is because their integration with soldiworks is quite good.

I can't comment much on other main selling point of camworks: the feature recognition and tech DB. I work for a product-based business doing process development. I hear that it's a very good feature for job shops.

While SW Cam is part of my SW license I chose to pay the long dollar on a dedicated cam package. It's painful to write the check for maintenance each year but the fact that I can hammer out programs easy and fast day in and day out is worth the price.

Back