What's new
What's new

US unemployment numbers keep reaching historic lows, is this making it hard to find workers in your shops?

New Deal, rural electrification
Cannot have running water if you don't have power

Plumbing Facilities​

In 1990, only 1 percent of our homes lacked complete plumbing facilities. But, things were much different in 1940, when nearly half lacked complete plumbing. Then, about ten States had rates approaching or exceeding 70 percent. In succeeding decades, the proportion of homes lacking complete plumbing dropped dramatically, falling to about one-third in 1950 and one- sixth in 1960. It is interesting to note the States with the lowest percent- age of such homes in 1940 were higher than Alaska, which topped the 1990 list.

Is it true that there is feces on the sidewalks and a constant odor of urine in many California cities?

"n fact, only 62.7 percent of the Russian population has the usual accoutrements of modern existence – water in the house, plumbing, heating and gas or electric ranges, Rosstat says, a fact that must seem incredible to those who visit only Moscow or St. Petersburg but a fact of life for those who lives beyond the ring roads of the capitals."

This probably what the US looked like in the 1930's or so. Maybe the 1940's.

Infrastructure like indoor plumbing is tricky because you need a source of water to flus the toilet, septic tank and the ability to service same. Heat, to keep the water lines from freezing in the winter.

There were lots of places in the US where a wood stove, hand pumped dug well, and an outhouse were the way it all worked. It would interesing to see where that 2/3 number was achieved in the US.
These days one can plot the population density in the US by inspecting what services ar in homes. In this order:

Power
City water
City Gas
City sewers.
Wonder if our DOD factors "indoor plumbing" into it's war planning.
Considering the countries we have gone to war with since WW2 pretty much were said to be primitive regarding plumbing we have pretty much spent $Billions$ and still experienced defeat.
Korea. Vietnam. Iraq. Afghanistan. Lots of condescending comments regarding primitive conditions in those countries. Might be wary of taking on Russia if the stats you present are correct.

Last edited:
Rosstat says a lot of russians dont have indoor plumbing or running water. We are not talking about sewage systems, but more basic needs. I cant read russian to search the actual rosstat (russian government site) but many english sites quote the same basic thing-

How does Argentina compare?

How does Argentina compare?
They have plumbing. And electricity. Heck, they even have starlink. Steel mills, auto factories, pretty decent manufacturing base, including a lot of things no longer made in the USA. I have four choices of domestic rubber boots, pretty much all commercial kitchen equipment is local, sliding table saw, drill presses, injection molding machines, a big ag equipment industry that exports things like tillers for small tractors, a sizeable clothing and shoe manufacturing sector, all kinds of housewares. Most things that in the US is imported from china, is made local there. Universal healthcare, and free tuition to state schools through college. Its not that 3 rd world, although there are certainly poor people.

They have plumbing. And electricity. Heck, they even have starlink. Steel mills, auto factories, pretty decent manufacturing base, including a lot of things no longer made in the USA. I have four choices of domestic rubber boots, pretty much all commercial kitchen equipment is local, sliding table saw, drill presses, injection molding machines, a big ag equipment industry that exports things like tillers for small tractors, a sizeable clothing and shoe manufacturing sector, all kinds of housewares. Most things that in the US is imported from china, is made local there. Universal healthcare, and free tuition to state schools through college. Its not that 3 rd world, although there are certainly poor people.
I bet the CEOs don't earn 450 times worker pay either.

All that on $200 a month average income?
A simple Google search 'Argentina indoor plumbling` paints a pretty grim picture.

Last edited:
I live in an old house in a sewered area .....but I have a septic tank ........if I had a sewer along the street frontage ,I would be taxed $1000+ yearly sewerage charge.......there is a sewer along the side boundary,but that doesnt qualify me for the tax ..........so in the 50 years Ive owned the place ,Ive saved the equivalent of $50,000.

well, your google fu stinks

According to a new report by Russia’s state statistical agency, Rosstat, 35 million Russians live in houses or apartments without indoor toilets, 47 million do not have hot water, 29 million don’t have any running water inside their residences, and 22 million do not have central heating (ehorussia.com/new/node/17679).

In fact, only 62.7 percent of the Russian population has the usual accoutrements of modern existence – water in the house, plumbing, heating and gas or electric ranges, Rosstat says, a fact that must seem incredible to those who visit only Moscow or St. Petersburg but a fact of life for those who lives beyond the ring roads of the capitals.

Lots of links that basically agree, significant percentage without indoor toilets.
What does your link have to do with Rosstat?

Infrastructure like indoor plumbing is tricky because you need a source of water to flus the toilet, septic tank and the ability to service same. Heat, to keep the water lines from freezing in the winter.
the water supply is laid underground below the freezing level; where this is not possible, heating electric cables are used. and by the way, what percentage of Americans have central heating?

Back