What's new
What's new

USB to RS-232 DNC units

DanielG

Stainless
I'm looking to get a unit to load programs onto our Fanuc 20T using a USB stick. I looks like there are a number of options:

DNCdevice has a bunch, from least expensive to mid-priced (https://dncdevice.com/)
Calmotion, most expensive (https://www.calmotion.com/usbcbc)
Shoplink Flash, mid-price, the owner picked up the phone and seemed knowledgable. Can only store one program at a time on the USB key, so less versatile; can't switch programs as easily. (http://www.highlanddnc.com/)

I'd like something that can load programs or drip feed.

Does anyone have any thoughts or other options to look at. I send DNCdevice an email, as many of their offerings look almost identical.

I'm a big fan of Jerry at Highland DNC, been buying his hardware for decades.
Not sure why he would tell you only one program on the stick, mine can hold 8, one each in 8 different folders. I just switch the folder number on the front of the device and cycle the power to access the files in each folder.
I have 2 different controls with the Shoplink, so I have 4 folders configured for one control, 4 folders configured for the other control. The RS232 parameters are configured by a text file in each folder, when you start the device it reads them from the folder and is ready to work. Generally all you do is plug in the stick and switch the device power on.

I'm a big fan of Jerry at Highland DNC, been buying his hardware for decades.
Not sure why he would tell you only one program on the stick, mine can hold 8, one each in 8 different folders. I just switch the folder number on the front of the device and cycle the power to access the files in each folder.
I have 2 different controls with the Shoplink, so I have 4 folders configured for one control, 4 folders configured for the other control. The RS232 parameters are configured by a text file in each folder, when you start the device it reads them from the folder and is ready to work. Generally all you do is plug in the stick and switch the device power on.
That makes more sense. He explained the multiple folder thing to me, but it didn't click.

Reactions: Mud
I've used a number of Lancnc devices and they worked great. Having a usb port for emergencies is nice, not to mention the 4GB SD card too. (The cheap memory alone makes it a great alternative to adding machine memory.) The only caveat I came across with these devices is you have to use the supplied cable that goes between the display and the board that get mounted internally. I once tried using a longer cable and it didn't work; customer service verified this. Pretty much a non issue though, I tried to install the board way back on the machine and use a longer cable because I was in a hurry.

I have a cpl of Calmation units, but I think they are the very same as ShopFloorAutomation, but cannot confirm.

I recently had one die after maybe 15 yrs?

I have never drip fed tho, just used it for in and out is all.
But they doo list that as an option in the menu, just not had application for such is all.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

We have two LANCNC units from Calmotion on two Haas machines, really like how they work in terms of storage, files get sent to a SD card via network, then the unit sends that file to the CNC. We used to use an old desktop to send but this has been much better. The LANCNC is pretty much the same as the USB devices they offer, mine just has SD cards instead of USB stick. I had to farbricate a box to mount the board and controller into though, so that was an additional cost as i wanted the screen next to the screen of the CNC, whereas it would have to be mounted on the back side of the CNC to be in the electrical panel-the screen that comes with the unit you have to use the supplied cable which is only 7 feet long, im assuming something to do with voltage to power the unit, otherwise it might not work so i had to mount everything in its own enclosure to get that screen in a comfortable position to send files.

I have used the calmotion box with goodluck for about 5 years off and on. I purchased it used from a member here, so I am sure its older than that.

I've seen Calmotion in quite a few shops, and they seem to like it.
Not sure if it's applicable to your System 20, but on my old System 11's I used Tulip Memory to upgrade to way beyond what Fanuc offered as the max on these and it's worked well.

Back