What's new
What's new

Used Automotive Machine Shop Equipment for Sale

hankreardon

Plastic
Used automotive machinery for sale in Redondo Beach, California.

Peterson Surface Grinder $1,000
Ammco 3000 Drum & Rotor Brake Lathe $2,000
Kwik Way Valve Grinder $ 800

Feel free to reply on this thread with comments or email me at [email protected]

Attachments

• IMG_0213.JPEG
    IMG_0213.JPEG
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0228.JPEG
    IMG_0228.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0234.JPEG
    IMG_0234.JPEG
    813 KB · Views: 46
I would suggest advertising them locally on craigslist and facebook marketplace, drop the price on brake lathe to $1500, add OBO after all prices. Write ad in english and spanish and hope a Mexico buyer sees it, at least they will get to keep working down there. For some odd reason those brake lathes still sell well. I think you can realistically see $1000 for it, maybe a little more. The Peterson machine is worth at least 500 as a welding table or bar decor, or as a surfacer. The valve grinder should bring at least 500. Best if you can plug them in and show them working. You need local buyers that can shove them into their truck, nothing there worth shipping at todays rates.

I don't want to dis the dalmation lass or the OP however, the machines in the subject are not of high demand or use in the present day. While the brake lathe MAY have value in Mexico why would a buyer pay a huge premium for one? The valve grinder is a nice one but still a few hundered at most in todays market.

I am not in the Los Angeles area anymore but was up to 2013, I owned an automotive repair and modification shop. I did not do engine machine work but, know the trade and the current state of the industry. Old machines that are single use and don't have the degree of precision required for modern vehicles are limited in value. Most shops wouldn't even think about turning a rotor or drum just based on labor rates to return and, unit rebuilds from overhaul depots are the norm not, a mechanic doing a valve job at the local garage.

It may sound harsh but, the machines presented are from another time and place.

Steve, run a search for 'valve grinder" and "brake lathe" on ebay, look at the sold prices, multiple Ammco brake lathe sales with prices averaging 1000, and numerous other makes too, but like I said, I don't know why they still bring that. Did not see that exact model of valve grinder, but prices on whole machines of same vintage run about 700. There is a rough old Lempco advertised at 1300, but nothing in completed listings so wild guessing on that one, if nothing else it would make a nice bar, or workbench in a mancave:D. While past their prime in the USA, and parts of Mexico, there are still some small towns down there where those machines would be considered top notch.

I don't want to dis the dalmation lass or the OP however, the machines in the subject are not of high demand or use in the present day. While the brake lathe MAY have value in Mexico why would a buyer pay a huge premium for one? The valve grinder is a nice one but still a few hundered at most in todays market.

I am not in the Los Angeles area anymore but was up to 2013, I owned an automotive repair and modification shop. I did not do engine machine work but, know the trade and the current state of the industry. Old machines that are single use and don't have the degree of precision required for modern vehicles are limited in value. Most shops wouldn't even think about turning a rotor or drum just based on labor rates to return and, unit rebuilds from overhaul depots are the norm not, a mechanic doing a valve job at the local garage.

It may sound harsh but, the machines presented are from another time and place.
Steve,

Thanks again for your input.

Dennis

Steve, run a search for 'valve grinder" and "brake lathe" on ebay, look at the sold prices, multiple Ammco brake lathe sales with prices averaging 1000, and numerous other makes too, but like I said, I don't know why they still bring that. Did not see that exact model of valve grinder, but prices on whole machines of same vintage run about 700. There is a rough old Lempco advertised at 1300, but nothing in completed listings so wild guessing on that one, if nothing else it would make a nice bar, or workbench in a mancave:D. While past their prime in the USA, and parts of Mexico, there are still some small towns down there where those machines would be considered top notch.
Dalmationgirl61,

Thank you for your careful consideration and meaningful contribution to my thread. Your brief research was extrememly insightful. I wish the entre internet consisted of people such as you.
Your words have a gentle and polished touch that lightens my mood. Surely your path through life has and will continue to be marked by success.
FWIW: I sold the peterson surface grinder and kwik way valve grinder combined for $1300 to a gentleman from Mexico who will put them to use in "another time and place"
I used Facebook Marketplace. It was an easy listing process and generated hundreds of clicks in one day. I thought about waiting for more offers, but the equipment has found a good home and will be put to good use.

Thank you,
Dennis

I am a little astonished at todays demand and selling prices for obsolete engine rebuilding equipment.

I don't get it. Every rebuilder out there has the same problem- Short staffed and impossible to find decent workers. So who's buying this stuff? Farmers? Hobby guys?

Might be obsolete to the guy with 10-15 years experience and a shop full of equipment, but there are those out there trying to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and can't afford to call up Rottler and tell them to "send me $300k worth of equipment so I can start a shop". Just a thought.

Might be obsolete to the guy with 10-15 years experience and a shop full of equipment, but there are those out there trying to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and can't afford to call up Rottler and tell them to "send me $300k worth of equipment so I can start a shop". Just a thought.

That sounds reasonable. In the past 20 years I have seen lots of engine rebuilders close up. I haven't seen a single new one open. Doesn't seem like a line of work anybody is going into these days. That's why I'm asking who's actually buying the stuff?

Engine rebuilding is no longer required in the journeyman program here so the trade school sold off the equipment. Sunnen hone, IDL machine, really nice Sioux grinder etc average selling price around $500 Canadian.

Back