What's new
What's new

using ChatGPT and other automation solutions, custom machining chatbot?

ianwatts

Plastic
Wondering if people have had good experience using ChatGPT in the machining world. Been using it like crazy for programming (Javascript web-apps) and it's at least doubled my speed.

Been thinking about making a custom fine tuned model with embeddings based off of scraped data from this forum. "Fine-tuning" would train it to speak like a machinist and improve it's word use, "embedding" would allow it to reference specific concepts/documents much better and maybe even provide sources.

Wondering if people here would have a good use for that?
Any other solutions in the AI space people have found helpful?

I'm looking for high-leverage tools to increase workflows, prevent mistakes, and generally make things easier for all involved.

If you have any questions about any of this, ask me! I'm a young (25 year old) wipper snapper who's trying to go deep in the hardware and software worlds and bridge them. Would love to discuss!

I guess the main problem would be it's limited training data when it comes to machining related subjects.

I wondered if a similar gpt could be trained with maintenance info to make a perfect expert assistant B⁠-⁠) . But who actually writes down their experiences in a way that a GPT could digest?

How are you using this for programming? I told it to write me some g code and it gave me the simplest unusable code possible... i gave it a much more in depth command and it gave me garbage..

I guess the main problem would be it's limited training data when it comes to machining related subjects.

I wondered if a similar gpt could be trained with maintenance info to make a perfect expert assistant B⁠-⁠) . But who actually writes down their experiences in a way that a GPT could digest?
Yeah machinist world definitely more prone to physical than digital data since it's physical lol. In my the best sources would be: a) forums like this, b) manuals, c) transcripts of videos (might actually be really good), d) blog posts, e) internal company documentation (much harder to get).
As I mention below, nigh impossible to match training sets like that for programming or copyrighting, as those are probably the two largest individual domains of digital data in history. Other problem/solution is garbage in-garbage out. You need good, clean data, which is harder to test for in our world than code (you can easily test code to see if it works or doesn't, harder to test machinist advice).
How are you using this for programming? I told it to write me some g code and it gave me the simplest unusable code possible... i gave it a much more in depth command and it gave me garbage..
Haven't used it for GCode, just web development. Use it for everything from "write this function" to
Imagine it's not great at GCode given the lack of public training data and documentation accompanying to GCode (actually explaining what it does). Especially compared to traditional programming where there are 28 million public repositories (projects), many thorough documentation and explanation.

Regardless, think there's an outsized benefit in machinist world as preventing a mistake can save hundreds/thousands of dollars and weeks of time, where each mistake in software is much less consequential.

I guess this is gonna be a next hot topic on here for a bit lol...
Definitely going through the first peak of the hype cycle right now, this stuff's going nowhere though. It's so concentrated in the programming and copywriting fields rn, and want to bring it to other fields. See a lot of potential for it to speed up physical product development and manufacturing, and help avoid costly, time-intensive mistakes.

ChatGPT is a self learning algorithm. It learns from phrases and sentences typed in by the people. So any inaccuracies in result will be rectified for later.
I have used it for finding some programming hacks as well. Although many answers I received are not 100% accurate, I was able to figure out the solution with the help of it. I was amazed by its capability to read question and understand the context and tone.
Many think that ChatGPT will take away job opportunities in the future. But I think otherwise. I believe those who are smart enough to leverage this ai services application's capability will succeed and excel.

there are many thread sections on this board that don't need repeating and have little to learn from.

Creating the training data set is certainly the most challenging task of creating an AI or neural network system. But someone has already worked that part out. There is a reason why Autodesk locks your CAD and CAM data in their cloud. Remember the old adage, if its free or cheaper than it should be, YOU are the product. I've been saying it around here for years.. Autodesk customers are paying for the privilege to have their data be the training set that will enable AI to eventually design and manufacture parts autonomously. It's just a matter of time now that they have the data.

Wondering if people have had good experience using ChatGPT in the machining world. Been using it like crazy for programming (Javascript web-apps) and it's at least doubled my speed.

Been thinking about making a custom fine tuned model with embeddings based off of scraped data from this forum. "Fine-tuning" would train it to speak like a machinist and improve it's word use, "embedding" would allow it to reference specific concepts/documents much better and maybe even provide sources.

Wondering if people here would have a good use for that?
Any other solutions in the AI space people have found helpful?

I'm looking for high-leverage tools to increase workflows, prevent mistakes, and generally make things easier for all involved.

If you have any questions about any of this, ask me! I'm a young (25 year old) wipper snapper who's trying to go deep in the hardware and software worlds and bridge them. Would love to discuss!
It's great to hear that you've had a positive experience using ChatGPT for programming and that it has significantly increased your speed. Exploring the possibility of creating a custom fine-tuned model with embeddings based on scraped data from a machining forum sounds like an interesting approach to improve the AI's understanding of specific terminology and concepts in the machining world.

Creating a domain-specific model could potentially benefit others in the machining community by providing more accurate and contextually relevant responses. It could also enable the AI to reference specific documents or sources, enhancing its ability to provide valuable information.

We have a guy that uses it to write macro's in Powermill, until our I.T. guy updated our security protection and it wiped the program off his computer. So much for that.

Great! Now, my computer will vear off into poetic political diatribes that add zip to the value of the general conversation.

Last edited:
Hey chatGpt, ^ that is sarcasm. I doubt you will get it though...

Last edited:
It's great to hear that you've had a positive experience using ChatGPT for programming and that it has significantly increased your speed. Exploring the possibility of creating a custom fine-tuned model with embeddings based on scraped data from a machining forum sounds like an interesting approach to improve the AI's understanding of specific terminology and concepts in the machining world.

Creating a domain-specific model could potentially benefit others in the machining community by providing more accurate and contextually relevant responses. It could also enable the AI to reference specific documents or sources, enhancing its ability to provide valuable information.
Have you been using it at all for this kinda stuff? Do you have any interest in exploring this?

Back