What's new
What's new

USPS $15.00 surcharge -- package over 30 inches

standardparts

Diamond
Hope this is in the correct forum.

Might be a real shocker for those shipping or ordering small quantities of stock over 30 inches.

"Parcels that exceed 30 inches in length will incur a $15.00 surcharge. Parcels that measure greater than 2 cubic (3456 cubic inches) feet will also see a $15.00 fee added."

The notice was from my shipping service but I can't find mention of it on the USPS website.

Understanding the New USPS Fees And Surcharges In 2022 - Shippo | Shippo.

I use mostly the flat rate stuff, but thanks for the heads up, these kinds of changes kill me. Don't get me started on UPS and Fedex changing from 70pound to 50 pounds max standard weight

There is a $4 surcharge over 22 inches. $15 over 30 inches. $1.50 for mis-measured boxes. We were shipping about 50 USPS packages a day that hit the 30 inch limit. These now go with other carriers. I’m sure they will now take advantage and raise prices. This pricing also gives Amazon fulfillment a bigger advantage.

Years ago we had plastic boxes with folding covers, the covers were getting broken up so we notched out a piece of plywood that fit flush. They started charging a surcharge for wood. Claimed it hurt their conveyors. These boxes had handles and were easier for the drivers to handle compared to the 65 lb boxes all taped up we were using. Switched to Spee-dee for better and less expensive service.

Quite a few years ago I bought a dividing head and it cost me more to get shipped than I paid. The big charge was both wood crate and supposed to use two people due to over 70 lbs.(actually over 100). They charged for it but only sent the driver.

Dave

Short answer. BECAUSE THEY CAN. We had some breakage and were denied a claim because we did not use enough packing. We added more packing. The boxes bulged a bit. Got hit for the bulge. Solution was that all invoices have a Shipping and Handling charge for UPS. The fee they charge plus $5-10 to cover their BS fees.

Way easier to just use a discount shipping service. Faster to fill out the form, navigate the website, and cheaper rates than the big 3. I use pirate ship (thanks, zamboni!), there are others.

I may be in about the same boat as some of you guys where I end up just adding a few extra bucks to cover supplies and incidentals. If some one is willing to give me there address and dont mind the wait I can try to shop around and get a good firm price. I have been told about pirate shipping but some of my clients prefer some shippers over others so i have not looked into it yet.

I do mail things out pretty frequently and I have noticed all of the shippers have gone up a lot in the last few years but this year even more then normal. If you think the length increases your cost try to ship a truck starter or something over 25+ lbs or a big plow ripper blade that is 75+ lbs YIKES!

As an FYI keep an eye on your "flat rate" boxes. I have noticed some of the some boxes have a much lower limit then the 50 lbs etc. some of the flat rate priority bubble mailers only go up to 4 lbs.

The reason for the surcharge for oversize or odd shaped parcels is that they won't fit or feed through the mostly automated sorting systems being used by all of the major package movers, and requires that they be "hand carried" through the systems, greatly increasing handling time.

98(?) percent of the packages handled by the USPS and others fit within a certain size and shape range that the automation system can deal with, without a lot of extra handling.

Watch a You Tube video of any automated system (Amazon, UPS, Fed Ex, USPS) happily moving, scanning labels, stacking and sorting a steady stream of items, then imagine what happens when a four foot long cardboard mailing tube with a 3 inch diam. chunk of 4130 gets introduced to the mix! It just doesn't fit well into the machines.

I've worked as a Building Equipment Mechanic for the USPS in Portland for 34 years, and boy do I have some good stories about miss-packaged items sent through the mail. (Including a poorly boxed cadaver head!)

Dave.

Back